The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Canorth said:

Only if you use tap. Wonder how many people touch those key pads in a given day?

Yepp, Especially if you take transit..people are touching those pads and the screen every 20 secs, load up at home.

• Upvote 3

The run on toilet paper is a pure mania but it's an ominous sign of what's to come in poor countries

It doesn't make any sense

Everyone needs toilet paper, I get it.

But scenes like this make no sense. That's like six months of toilet paper right there and it's not an uncommon scene.

There is every reason to stock up with a month of supplies but there aren't the same signs of people loading up on canned goods, for instance. Certainly not at the same levels.

This is a genuine example of a mania and it's amplified by social media. When you see empty shelves of toilet paper, it triggers a psychological response regarding scarcity. Even though it's not the most-rational response, it's not entirely irrational either and it's not wasteful, because everyone needs it eventually.

In general, this is something that's stupid and maybe a bit funny. There are big lines at grocery stores everywhere but the inventory -- at least in North America -- is so overwhelming that no one is worried about running out of food.

What I fear is this kind of thing unfolding in parts of the world where there is food scarcity.

The wealthy world is very introspective at the moment and that's natural because the news and change is overwhelming right now. But this pandemic hitting the developing world and very poor countries is going to be awful.
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

I was thinking about this, Probably the easiest way for the virus to spread is through contaminated money, Don't know if I'm being paranoid but plastic would probably be the better idea.

Conspiracy theorists would say this is what’s behind virus outbreaks....a cashless society.

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The run on toilet paper is a pure mania but it's an ominous sign of what's to come in poor countries

But scenes like this make no sense. That's like six months of toilet paper right there and it's not an uncommon scene.

There is every reason to stock up with a month of supplies but there aren't the same signs of people loading up on canned goods, for instance. Certainly not at the same levels.

This is a genuine example of a mania and it's amplified by social media. When you see empty shelves of toilet paper, it triggers a psychological response regarding scarcity. Even though it's not the most-rational response, it's not entirely irrational either and it's not wasteful, because everyone needs it eventually.

In general, this is something that's stupid and maybe a bit funny. There are big lines at grocery stores everywhere but the inventory -- at least in North America -- is so overwhelming that no one is worried about running out of food.

What I fear is this kind of thing unfolding in parts of the world where there is food scarcity.

The wealthy world is very introspective at the moment and that's natural because the news and change is overwhelming right now. But this pandemic hitting the developing world and very poor countries is going to be awful.

Food is running out now. It's ridiculous.

Edit: maybe 'running out' wasn't right term but shelves/bins are emptying 

Edited by Shift-4

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I agree with your overall sentiment about people buying things they don’t need, but I think we should consider the possibility that at least some of these packages are for multiple different people/families? I mean not everyone has the ability to just rush out and grab a basic necessity or capability to wait in a line for hours. Remember this hits seniors, the most vulnerable hardest. How many are buying for their parents/grandparents/families? While I’m sure some are panic buying for no reason I don’t like this attitude towards multiple package tp buyers as idiots without full knowledge of the reasoning behind said purchases.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I actually have. a lab at home here.

If you're concerned with your money being contaminated or potentially infected.

Send ALL your bills and currency to me.  I promise, I will ensure it is taken care of

:bigblush:

When the crime figures need to "launder money"...they turn to Warhippy!:lol:

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Food is running out now. It's ridiculous.

They'll be plenty. Often depends on when you go to the store. Wal Mart is terrible for restocking during the day. Show up in th emorning and it's the land of plenty. Get there at 3 pm and it's like a scene from Mad Max.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

They'll be plenty. Often depends on when you go to the store. Wal Mart is terrible for restocking during the day. Show up in th emorning and it's the land of plenty. Get there at 3 pm and it's like a scene from Mad Max.

yes, I have faith in our supply chains  :) 

2 hours ago, Kakanucks said:

Why are still going with the reactive approach?? We already have a few community cases.

We need to follow the steps of South Korea, they can test 10,000 per day and be proactive with drive thru testing.

i think you may see a change in testing protocols in bc as the community cases grow

but testing does not change treatment at all

it simply assists in tracking the virus and confirming diagnosis

tracking is more important in the early phase of the pandemic

Literally needed a couple of Gravol lozenges in order to watch this travesty of a presser from the incompetent asshole in the White House. Un&^@#ingbelievable. Yep, let's start off by blaming the Obama administration. Gawd help ya, ya folks South of the border (or 'boarder' as Republicans seem wont to spell it)

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Literally needed a couple of Gravol lozenges in order to watch this travesty of a presser from the incompetent asshole in the White House. Un&^@#ingbelievable. Yep, let's start off by blaming the Obama administration. Gawd help ya, ya folks South of the border (or 'boarder' as Republicans seem wont to spell it)

i am in avoidance mode

i try to not watch anything he says

it is too aggravating

better to hear others summarize what he says

so i generally know the direction he is seeking

but i am becoming allergic to his voice

and to hearing nonsense coming from him personally

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

4th worst: cases below

China 5327

China, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region 1755

China, Taiwan 665

Canada 251

Singapore 238

USA 33

not sure what you are posting?

sars stats?

surely cannot be coronavirus

as italy, iran, and other countries are missing

what is the source of this information ?