The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Cause I like and respect you.

I don't know if making mask mandatory is the right thing to do myself, I don't know how they would enforce it.  I do believe that the best way to get past this is to get everyone wearing one though, one way or another.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If masks are not mandatory....  we will always have the 20%  a-holes that then have the right to refuse to wear a mask.

Mandatory mask laws are inevitable here in BC.   The slower we take to enact these laws.... just makse this next wave of covid worse and any lockdown longer.

• Cheers 1

Just now, D-Money said:

Better than killing them with COVID though.

I’m not about to flip out at someone else being less considerate. Then again, I haven’t had a friend or family member die (yet) from it.

And I’m relatively well-insulated working from home and wife home-schooling the kids. But if I were a a doctor or nurse, I think I’d be losing my mind over what’s been going on.

Lol. Well of course better than dying of Covid. But what I was saying was that I'm not going to be an a$$hole to a some stranger. And more often than not, from what I've seen when people engage with strangers over this, it ends up with shouting, shaming, etc. The conversation might start out with the intention of being calm and collect, but it rarely ends up that way. Why? Because strangers aren't asking for someone else's opinion on something they didn't ask for.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

That won't ever happen. There are many reasons why that's the case, but the short answer is, that will never happen. 

If masks are made mandatory? Fine. My responsibility is to obey government and the laws. But history has shown that laws don't stop people from doing things. So there will always be people not wearing masks. 

They are mandatory in Calgary and Edmonton. I rarely ever see someone with their mask off when I’m shopping.

But cases are still going up in both cities, so people are likely bypassing them regularly, or not taking other precautions with them.

• Cheers 1

Thing is, we shouldn't need "laws" in place to make people do what's right...that comes from within.  Or should.  People are dying...that's reason enough to try to help fight that any way possible.  Not a good time to enforce your rights because we all have them.

We're in a worldwide pandemic and everyone's being asked to cooperate.  No, not MADE to but adults shouldn't require policing like that.  Should be a simple matter of protecting others in any way possible.  Doing what we can as responsible, caring citizens of the world.  Not some defiant super hero on a mission to prove something ... with imaginary powers of invincibility that endanger the rest of us.  They're out there, but we don't have to be nice or kind to people who don't reciprocate that (at all).  

Non believers are a problem for all of us and I have no issue with the fact that I do look down on them.  It's a simple thing...put a little piece of fabric on your face.  Keep your distance from others.  You can't do that?   Then stay the hell home because it's required in order to get this thing under control.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, we shouldn't need "laws" in place to make people do what's right for others...that comes from within.

We're in a worldwide pandemic and everyone's being asked to cooperate.  No, not MADE to but adults shouldn't require policing like that.  Should be a simple matter of protecting others in any way possible.

Non believers are a whole other story...they're a problem for all of us and I have no issue with the fact that I do look down on them.  It's a simple thing...put a little piece of fabric on your face.  Keep your distance from others.  You can't do that?   Then stay the hell home.

My fear is that  there are way more Covid non believers here in BC than we realize....  this group gets there opinions off youtube videos filmed  in some persons basement.... instead of  listening to what doctors and scientists are telling us.... 

Mandatory mask laws would reign in this element of our society.  No one should have the right to put others at risk.

I don't want a dude walking into Save on with a loaded  handgun in his pocket... and i don't want a dude without a mask either.

Both are potentially fatal to me and my family. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Me too...at Christmas.  I NEVER EVER miss work...missed a few days in a row.  Have never been that sick before...couldn't get out of bed.  I remember my son going "My God, are you ok?" when he called me as I was having a coughing fit (I really wasn't).  For some time afterward was extremely wheezy upon even mild exertion...going upstairs and, in particular, remember the walk over the bridge to the rink being almost too much.  Thought I was just in bad shape but, in hindsight, really makes me wonder.  Symptoms I'd never experienced before.  The wheezing persisted for some time...going upstairs, etc.  Things that had never caused that before suddenly brought it on and I struggled for some time.

Me too, in early March.  Never been that sick before.  Had all the symptoms.  Even in mid summer I had days where I was exhausted,  difficulty breathing.  I spoke with a friend who's an RN in Kelowna and the general consensus is that covid was here as early as November/December.  She said they had a few patients on ventilators around that time who were fairly young and didn't have underlying conditions.  Basically unexplainable respiratory distress.

Me test came back negative but at that time there was a 30% false negative so I really don't know.  But I was not good for months after and for about 10 days was in very bad shape. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LesPaul81 said:

Me too, in early March.  Never been that sick before.  Had all the symptoms.  Even in mid summer I had days where I was exhausted,  difficulty breathing.  I spoke with a friend who's an RN in Kelowna and the general consensus is that covid was here as early as November/December.  She said they had a few patients on ventilators around that time who were fairly young and didn't have underlying conditions.  Basically unexplainable respiratory distress.

Me test came back negative but at that time there was a 30% false negative so I really don't know.  But I was not good for months after and for about 10 days was in very bad shape. 

I actually have a cousin whose son was on a ventilator....we almost lost him but it was attributed to vaping (I even posted here about it).  Now we all wonder about that, too.

I have a feeling it was circulating back then....if an RN thinks so, good enough for me.  (And my thanks to her/him for doing such an incredibly dangerous but vital job through all of this...my good friend and a cousin are nurses as well.  I really listen to their direction in this.  And appreciate them more than I ever have!).

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

My fear is that  there are way more Covid non believers here in BC than we realize....  this group gets there opinions off youtube videos filmed  in some persons basement.... instead of  listening to what doctors and scientists are telling us.... 

Mandatory mask laws would reign in this element of our society.  No one should have the right to put others at risk.

I don't want a dude walking into Save on with a loaded  handgun in his pocket... and i don't want a dude without a mask either.

Both are potentially fatal to me and my family. 

I was reading today in my local mini-paper that there is a group of so called “freedom fighters” meeting once a week to discuss there anti-Covid beliefs. :picard:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

welp, since the government decided to tell people what they can and can't do inside of their own homes, halloween has been completely ruined this year. Nobody wants to do anything; everyone is afraid of being fined. 

Heh, those tiny kit kats and coffee crisps taste pretty sweet - i get it. 

But with 10,000 deaths in Canada due to Covid... maybe it is time to listen to Scientists and try to reduce our social contacts until a vaccine is developed.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Made what my kids have dubbed the 'Candy Cannon' out of some leftover sonotube from building our fence for appropriately, socially distant, candy dispensement  ::D

Good for you. :) 

We’re just going dark this year. We never get many kids coming around our place, and all our neighbours have already said they’re opting out this year. They’re all keeping their homes dark, so I doubt we’ll have anyone coming around, anyway.

Neighbours have been stopping by the house all week to drop off candy baskets for my kids, which is really sweet (pun was unintended).

Older couple next door even apologized to us for not doing Halloween this year. They have health issues and are basically quarantined. They usually decorate up their place, and they love seeing the kids come by, but they’ve gone completely dark and won’t be answering the door.

They dropped off a special package just 10 minutes ago with a bunch of candy for the kids, and some Happy Halloween wishes.

Kinda sad, but also heartwarming.

2:(2:) has just been that kind of year.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

welp, since the government decided to tell people what they can and can't do inside of their own homes, halloween has been completely ruined this year. Nobody wants to do anything; everyone is afraid of being fined. 

People in my neighbourhood are getting creative.  I just had a trick or treater...I have a long witch's "arm" that I hand the candy to them with.  Then I spray it, rinse, repeat.

Life is what you make it....times are tough, sure.  But we have to look at the positive side of it all...there will be more Hallowe'ens.  Sadly, only for some though so it's a small sacrifice to make to keep people alive.  I'd rather have a few events be ruined if it can save someone.  Perspective.

• Cheers 1

In my townhouse complex a lot of candy tubes or candy spread out  on tables so people didn't have to get too close.  A lot of masks too, a lot of people walking around but everyone pretty spaced apart.  Felt pretty safe.  Different but still Halloween.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In my townhouse complex a lot of candy tubes or candy spread out  on tables so people didn't have to get too close.  A lot of masks too, a lot of people walking around but everyone pretty spaced apart.  Felt pretty safe.  Different but still Halloween.

Yes was different this year, less people, only one at a time at a door not a whole army of kids. Was really different.