The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's possible but Van Island has the benefit of being an island. Only 2 ways to get here. By air or by sea and neither is cheap. That's why we have done so well to this point. If there was an existing bridge to the mainland we'd be up to our necks in virus too.

Touché. I imagine people are more inclined to head to the interior than the island even with the longer trip. 

If I were living on the island I’d like to see local governments lobby for the PEI approach. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The only thing I wonder about with the region-by-region approach is if (for example) the island opens up, will we see people from the VCH and FHA regions going there to enjoy the enhanced freedom and spreading the virus?

Most cases in the okanagan have come from visitors from the coast

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not surprising. How much has that changed now that summer’s over? Or I imagine the summer visitors brought the okanagan up to a level that was sufficient for an outbreak anyway. 

I'm sure the virus was lingering inside people, but we were all outside, now we're inside and it's spreading.  Still, iut's a pretty steady stream of visitors from the coast coming in for holidays etc.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how do you lock down a house party tho? I think its going to be a rough ride now, up until there's a rushed vaccine. 

It would just be nicer if more people had the strength and sense of altruism to just act sensibly.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how do you lock down a house party tho? I think its going to be a rough ride now, up until there's a rushed vaccine. 

Police break it up, you find the owner of the house and slap him with a $10k fine for the first offense and you raise it $10k for every subsequent offense.  It's time to stop f'n around and deal with this thing

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Police break it up, you find the owner of the house and slap him with a $10k fine for the first offense and you raise it $10k for every subsequent offense.  It's time to stop f'n around and deal with this thing

muh freedoms!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

agreed... but does any politician really have the stomach to do that? 

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

It would just be nicer if more people had the strength and sense of altruism to just act sensibly.

It is during times like this that we get to see the real truth to our own communities.

We make so much fun of rednecks to the south of us... when in fact BC has more than our own share of rednecks / anti maskers / covid deniers in our own province.  Depressing.

On the flip side i am seeing more and more people doing the right thing when in public. Social distancing and masking up.

If our government would just get serious with the covidiots / anti maskers /  covid deniers - through a mandatory mask bylaw, I feel we could potentially get back on top of our rising covid numbers.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on how responsible the public is about masking up, maintaining distance and keeping bubbles small and disciplined.  Restrictions are being imposed all ver the world and if our er's start to fill up, as they've done in many places in the last month, I'd say yes, they will.

13 minutes ago, bree2 said:

another 299 cases today, i wish people would get their act together and think of others instead of only caring about themselves!

We need laws with severe penalties in place to stop those covidiots that won't mask up / social distance or respect size of social gatherings.   

The fact is we have an element in our society that is irresponsibe / selfish and will not make any small sacrifices to protect our seniors. My elderly mom is socially isolated and is paying a price to survive this pandemic 

Fancy slogans / jingles /  plea for cooperation  will not work with our entire BC  population.   Time to lay the hammer down on a few of our BC  covidiots. 

This is what other provinces are doing right now.  We need to follow other provinces direction and do similar. 

3 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Honest question as I take covid seriously but lots of people tell me covid only kills older people or people already sick.  Do we know long terms effects? How would I respond to these people? 

There are significant numbers now of younger people that may be dealing with post COVID symptoms for a long time.  Check out IRP Lawyer on Twitter, her name is Kyla Lee and she is a young BC lawyer that got COVID in March while in the US and has been dealing with long term effects ever since.  She has been really open about what she has dealt with and I'm sure there are lots of similar stories.  There was one recently of a 31ish gal in Vancouver, admitted that no one in her crowd took COVID seriously, they partied all summer and then she got sick.  Was hospitalized, had to use oxygen when she was finally released and no idea how long/if she will return to normal.  

Also, yes, old people are more susceptible to dying from COVID as are people with underlying symptoms.  However, many of those people with underlying symptoms may have had another 30+ years of quality life in front of them but for being infected with COVID.  

Also, because of the heightened risks of increasing hospitalizations, we will soon be at a point where non emergency surgeries may be delayed again.  If someone you know is waiting for a joint replacement or whatever, some idiots partying may be delaying their access to surgery.  

So yeh, just because the people you are talking to may think they have nothing to risk, the impacts are like ripples on the water.  There are increasing hospital costs that ultimately impact all of us through increased taxation.  The longer we are in this mess, the greater the financial impacts, which will mean we will all be paying for this pandemic for probably the next 2 or 3 generations.   And who are they to decide that just because it's old people and people with underlying health issues that are more impacted, its ok then?  Any person that gets sick and dies is loved by others, be it friends or family and those people will all be grieving the loss.  Is that ok?  

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

There really is no perfect approach. I am on Van Island too. Currently there are 13 active detected cases here. There are 900,000 people on Van Island.

That works out to .000014%. In statistical terms, that is irrelevant. Granted it can rise in exponential fashion. But should we be under the same economic restrictions as regions with an actual problem?

It will be interesting to see whether the current ad campaign targeted at eastern Canadians to come visit Van Island during the winter will have any negative impact on infection rates.  I know business is important but that seemed a bit risky to me.  

13 minutes ago, skategal said:

There are significant numbers now of younger people that may be dealing with post COVID symptoms for a long time.  Check out IRP Lawyer on Twitter, her name is Kyla Lee and she is a young BC lawyer that got COVID in March while in the US and has been dealing with long term effects ever since.  She has been really open about what she has dealt with and I'm sure there are lots of similar stories.  There was one recently of a 31ish gal in Vancouver, admitted that no one in her crowd took COVID seriously, they partied all summer and then she got sick.  Was hospitalized, had to use oxygen when she was finally released and no idea how long/if she will return to normal.  

Also, yes, old people are more susceptible to dying from COVID as are people with underlying symptoms.  However, many of those people with underlying symptoms may have had another 30+ years of quality life in front of them but for being infected with COVID.  

Also, because of the heightened risks of increasing hospitalizations, we will soon be at a point where non emergency surgeries may be delayed again.  If someone you know is waiting for a joint replacement or whatever, some idiots partying may be delaying their access to surgery.  

So yeh, just because the people you are talking to may think they have nothing to risk, the impacts are like ripples on the water.  There are increasing hospital costs that ultimately impact all of us through increased taxation.  The longer we are in this mess, the greater the financial impacts, which will mean we will all be paying for this pandemic for probably the next 2 or 3 generations.   And who are they to decide that just because it's old people and people with underlying health issues that are more impacted, its ok then?  Any person that gets sick and dies is loved by others, be it friends or family and those people will all be grieving the loss.  Is that ok?  

Thank you so much and ofc it's not ok

32 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Honest question as I take covid seriously but lots of people tell me covid only kills older people or people already sick.  Do we know long terms effects? How would I respond to these people? 

No one knows the full impact yet...which is the scary part.  Once thought to damage the lungs, it seems it extends beyond that.

They are constantly changing the yardsticks on this thing so only idiots have "decided" it's ok.  Besides "only kills" is a pretty selfish statement....tell them that.

While our BC PHO Dr B recommends no mandatory masks for BC highschool students.....

What is wrong with our province..... ??????

The Public Health Agency of Canada is now recommending Canadians choose three-layer non-medical masks with a filter layer to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as they prepare to spend more time indoors over the winter.

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam made the recommendation during her bi-weekly pandemic briefing in Ottawa Tuesday.

The World Health Organization has recommended three layers for non-medical masks since June. When pressed about the sudden change for Canada, Tam said the research has evolved.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/three-layer-mask-tam-1.5787946

Edited by kingofsurrey

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The health authority has given the police the ability to handout fines. It’s the law enforcement agency’s discretion whether or not to act in an informational manner or a punitive one. We’re seeing stepped up punitive ones recently around Metro Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1