The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Mounties boarding some BC Ferries this weekend to make sure passengers leave their vehicles

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-rcmp-bc-ferries-1.5793637

I'm staying in my car if I have to travel. I'll take the charges, fines, ban, whatever. I'm staying in my car. Until this deadly pandemic is over. 

A lot of new restrictions effective tonight at 10 pm:

No social gatherings with anyone outside immediate household

Only essential travel within Fraser Health and VCH

Indoor physical activities suspended 2 weeks

Businesses expected to follow mask/social distancing protocol

Party buses, limo's etc. to stop operating

Etc.

Good news because some can't follow basic requests to do what's right.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced Saturday that Lower Mainland residents are banned from visiting each others’ private homes for two weeks.

The order applies to social gatherings of “any size” with people other than one’s immediate houshold, regardless of whether its fewer than 50 people or physical distancing is observed.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The order also calls for a freeze on non-essential travel out of the Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health regions.

And it bans travel for sport into or out of the region.

Indoor group physical activities such as spin classes, yoga and group fitness are also banned.

The order goes into effect at 10 p.m. Saturday, and will remain in place for two weeks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is what happens when people took COVID for granted. Now look at this situation that we're stuck in. a Big FU to those irresponsible pricks on Granville Island, and some other stupid people.

Was going to come here to post this.  Honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of them are still caught outside.

• Like 1

Getting really tired of Bonnie and Adrian.

I used to like them and think they were doing a good job but now they're acting like communist leaders trying to control us.

The government reaction is worse than the flu like virus.

If they repeated how many people die daily in hospital from flu like complications or hospital born pneumonia it would dwarf these covid numbers.

They are doing a good job at getting the masses to believe them though

I guess my son isnt having a birthday party next weekend, thanks Bonnie.

• Wat 4

I hope that instead of the super polite/ PC "we're all in this together" and "it's important" mottos, they would be strict with violators when it comes to enforcing.

Clearly they don't realize that the only ones who don't give heed to what they are saying are the ones who are too ignorant to tune in in the first place.

Wonder what heavier fines and active clearing of attendees, instead of having cops just stand there and watch, would have done to reduce exposure.
(Yes, I am talking directly about the Halloween on Granville scene-- if you want people to obey sometimes you have to fine them and instill fear).
Time to put their money where their mouths are -- no more "time is now" without enforcing to show they mean it.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

A lot of new restrictions effective tonight at 10 pm:

No social gatherings with anyone outside immediate household

Only essential travel within Fraser Health and VCH

Indoor physical activities suspended 2 weeks

Businesses expected to follow mask/social distancing protocol

Party buses, limo's etc. to stop operating

Etc.

Good news because some can't follow basic requests to do what's right.

I am a bit confused here. I live in Coquitlam, and work in Vancouver. I work mostly from home but have to be in the office 1-2 times a week. Now I can't go there?

Or work is "essential "?

Just finished watching the press conference, her measures are so vague...

Individual gym workouts are fine but not groups?  So if I have a group session but each activity is in its own space is it still cancelled?
Also she says no social gatherings but restaurants are still permitted to have groups of 6?
If someone lives alone they can have a couple people visit which is good, but how come no one from a bigger family gets to meet others even if it's just 1-2 and outside?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Mounties boarding some BC Ferries this weekend to make sure passengers leave their vehicles

I'm staying in my car if I have to travel. I'll take the charges, fines, ban, whatever. I'm staying in my car. Until this deadly pandemic is over. 

Just ask to be put on the upper deck, you may have to miss a sailing to ensure an upper deck spot though.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Individual gym workouts are fine but not groups?  So if I have a group session but each activity is in its own space is it still cancelled?
Also she says no social gatherings but restaurants are still permitted to have groups of 6?
If someone lives alone they can have a couple people visit which is good, but how come no one from a bigger family gets to meet others even if it's just 1-2 and outside?

Hope it helps a little...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/lower-mainland

Edited by IRR

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

What is the reasoning behind having people leave their cars. Isn’t it safer to be in your car?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

There really is no rhyme or reason to their restrictions. No one should be travelling in planes right now based on these restrictions yet, everyday I see them coming and going. 

5 minutes ago, Stelar said:

What is the reasoning behind having people leave their cars. Isn’t it safer to be in your car?

Transport Canada has deemed it safer for vehicle passengers, on the lower decks,  to exit their vehicles and go to other decks. They believe the risk of covid to be less than the risk of remaining in your car, due to the possibility of fire, grounding or sinking.

Televangelist who blamed COVID-19 on premarital sex dies from virus

By Natalie O'Neill

Irvin Baxter

Irvin Baxter Endtime Ministries

A televangelist preacher who once blamed the coronavirus pandemic on premarital sex died this week of COVID-19, according to a report.

The Rev. Irvin Baxter — who appeared on the Christian TV show “End of the Age” — succumbed to the illness Tuesday after being hospitalized, according to Endtime Ministries, the Pentecostal Christian organization he founded. He was 75.

“Irvin went on to his great reward. We celebrate his life, but at the same time, there is sorrow, there is grieving,” his co-host Dave Robbins said in a statement.

In March, Baxter preached about “the sin of fornication” out of wedlock — suggesting the coronavirus crisis was “a wake-up call.”

“I thought about fornication and I did a little research … I hope this research is not correct, but I got it straight from the encyclopedia — it says that 5 percent of new brides in America now are virgins. That means 95 percent have already committed fornication!” Baxter said on “The Jim Bakker Show,” which discusses end-of-times religious scenarios.

After launching into an anti-LGBTQ rant, he chalked the global pandemic up to lusty “sinners.”

“If we think we can just ignore God and live a sinful lifestyle, well, we cannot do it. You know, I believe in what you’re saying, that God may be using this as a wake-up call,” he said.

“This coronavirus may be a privilege because I’ll tell you right now, there’s a much bigger judgment coming. It’s in the Bible.”

Last year, the Texas-based preacher also called critics of President Trump “satanic,” according to Right Wing Watch. He declared that the devil is furious at Trump for “messing up” his sinister goal of a global government.

Baxter, who also hosted the radio show “Politics and Religion on National Prophecy,” became a pastor at age 26 and led Oak Park Church in Richmond, Indiana, for decades. He also founded Endtime Magazine and wrote the conservative book “A Message to the President” in 1986.

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Getting really tired of Bonnie and Adrian.

I used to like them and think they were doing a good job but now they're acting like communist leaders trying to control us.

The government reaction is worse than the flu like virus.

If they repeated how many people die daily in hospital from flu like complications or hospital born pneumonia it would dwarf these covid numbers.

They are doing a good job at getting the masses to believe them though

I guess my son isnt having a birthday party next weekend, thanks Bonnie.

This is exactly why we're going in the wrong direction....this thinking.

It's two weeks in order to save lives.  Let's think of others in this because we all want birthday parties for our loved ones.  We've put about a dozen birthday parties on hold, with the anticipation of having a GREAT party when this is all over.  We're going to celebrate everyone and everything.  

Kids are resilient...tell your son why this is a special birthday and the gift he's giving to others.  If he has grandparents, maybe to them.  If you put a negative spin on things, yes...children will be disappointed.  It's an opportunity to get creative and put a positive spin on something negative and kids will often follow that lead.  Get them excited about doing things different instead of presenting as a "can't" situation. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So are lower mainland restaurants open for indoor dining.... but you can't have your daughter over to your house inside with social distancing...... ?

Serious question

Yes.

Here's what  I believe to be the rationale...restaurants can be closed down if they don't comply.  There are strict guidelines in place and people have to abide by them.  Inspections could happen randomly and so most business owners are more than happy to do what it takes.  They aren't the issue right now and this is targeted at the things that are.

Homes and private gatherings are the issue...people AREN'T doing it right.  They're gathering without masks/social distancing.  They're sharing food and staying indoors, laughing/singing and the things that will result in the spread if someone has COVID.

So the Government HAD to do something about that end of things.  It's common sense.  People had an arrogance and attitude that they could do "what they wanted" out there but, during a pandemic where that could kill others, this is a message to cool it for a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1