The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes.

Here's what  I believe to be the rationale...restaurants can be closed down if they don't comply.  There are strict guidelines in place and people have to abide by them.  Inspections could happen randomly and so most business owners are more than happy to do what it takes.  They aren't the issue right now and this is targeted at the things that are.

Homes and private gatherings are the issue...people AREN'T doing it right.  They're gathering without masks/social distancing.  They're sharing food and staying indoors, laughing/singing and the things that will result in the spread if someone has COVID.

So the Government HAD to do something about that end of things.  It's common sense.  People had an arrogance and attitude that they could do "what they wanted" out there but, during a pandemic where that could kill others, this is a message to cool it for a couple of weeks.

So peoples are free to go socialize indoors  in groups in restaurants .....   but they can't have a person in their home for a visit.

This is yet another head scratcher for DR. B / Horgan.

Once again our leaders create rules that are hypocritical and inconsistent.  Double messages once again sent to the BC public.

Every good parents knows.... key to developing good behavior in kids... is consistent rules.....

We don't have a chance in BC to limit covid with the weak leadership we currently have in BC. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So peoples are free to go socialize indoors  in groups in restaurants .....   but they can't have a person in their home for a visit.

This is yet another head scratcher for DR. B / Horgan.

Once again our leaders create rules that are hypocritical and inconsistent.  Double messages once again sent to the BC public.

We don't have a chance in BC to limit covid with the weak leadership we currently have in BC. 

Nope....not "free to socialize" in groups.  With immediate family members, no more than 6 as I understand it.

We have a better tomorrow than we did today.  Something's better than nothing....

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope....not "free to socialize" in groups.  With immediate family members, no more than 6.

We have a better tomorrow than we did today.  Something's better than nothing....

Today guidelines are once again inconsistent.

Socializing in restuarant = good

Socializing at Mall = good

Socializing at Home =  BAD

These mixed messages will not work.  People will once again tune out Dr. B.   We need real leadership in BC to combat the spread of Covid. 

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

A lot of new restrictions effective tonight at 10 pm:

No social gatherings with anyone outside immediate household

Only essential travel within Fraser Health and VCH

Indoor physical activities suspended 2 weeks

Businesses expected to follow mask/social distancing protocol

Party buses, limo's etc. to stop operating

Etc.

Good news because some can't follow basic requests to do what's right.

We need to impose these restrictions in WA state.  I sent an e-message to Governor Inslee yesterday about imposing stronger restrictions.  Hopefully his office will read the e-message and impose stronger restrictions.  Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming up and I can just imagine what people are going to do around that time.  In my family, I have not seen them for months and Thanksgiving and Christmas have been cancelled for visiting one another.  We are in a time of a pandemic and phone and video calls are what we are doing. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes.

Here's what  I believe to be the rationale...restaurants can be closed down if they don't comply.  There are strict guidelines in place and people have to abide by them.  Inspections could happen randomly and so most business owners are more than happy to do what it takes.  They aren't the issue right now and this is targeted at the things that are.

Homes and private gatherings are the issue...people AREN'T doing it right.  They're gathering without masks/social distancing.  They're sharing food and staying indoors, laughing/singing and the things that will result in the spread if someone has COVID.

So the Government HAD to do something about that end of things.  It's common sense.  People had an arrogance and attitude that they could do "what they wanted" out there but, during a pandemic where that could kill others, this is a message to cool it for a couple of weeks.

Bingo.  If restaurants and malls was where the virus was spreading they'd be getting closed down, and we're just not seeing that as of right now.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Today guidelines are once again inconsistent.

Socializing in restuarant = good

Socializing at Mall = good

Socializing at Home =  BAD

These mixed messages will not work.  People will once again tune out Dr. B.   We need real leadership in BC to combat the spread of Covid. 

They're not.

You can't "socialize in malls and restaurants"...no socializing for 2 weeks.  Essential..meaning if a family goes out to eat together, that's acceptable.  

Homes are where people dropped the rules so now they're there, too.  It's adding more rules, not dropping any.

We should applaud the fact that they're stepping in to do something here...damned if they do/don't it seems.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

Transport Canada has deemed it safer for vehicle passengers, on the lower decks,  to exit their vehicles and go to other decks. They believe the risk of covid to be less than the risk of remaining in your car, due to the possibility of fire, grounding or sinking.

I heard somewhere that truckers could still stay down on the lower deck. 

I can't find info on it, so likely they have to abide by the same safety concerns?

I would sign a waiver. In case of emergency... I will make it up to the safety of the top deck on my own, or sleep with the fishes. No problem. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They're not.

You can't "socialize in malls and restaurants"...no socializing for 2 weeks.  Essential..meaning if a family goes out to eat together, that's acceptable.  

Homes are where people dropped the rules so now they're there, too.  It's adding more rules, not dropping any.

We should applaud the fact that they're stepping in to do something here...damned if they do/don't it seems.

So  a BC teacher

Spend all day in a poorly ventilated portable classroom with 30 kids - no masks and no social distancing

That evening,  the teacher can not have an adult child  visit them in their home at night for an hour. 

Teacher and her kid though  are welcome to go eat a long slow dinner at the Whitespot though or walk around a packed Metro town mall indoors.....

Time for Dr. B to be replaced.   BC needs real consistent leadership if we are going to get covid under control.   

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So  a BC teacher

Spend all day in a poorly ventilated portable classroom with 30 kids - no masks and no social distancing

That evening,  the teacher can not have an adult child  visit them in their home at night for an hour. 

Teacher and her kid though  are welcome to go eat a long slow dinner at the Whitespot though or walk around a packed Metro town mall indoors.....

Time for Dr. B to be replaced.   BC needs real consistent leadership if we are going to get covid under control.   

You're interpreting it to fit a narrative.

No socializing for two weeks.  It won't kill us, but COVID could.  From what I understand wandering around a mall isn't "essential"....so no.  As well, travel around the city is for essential purposes.  To work, feed ourselves, etc.

It isn't perfect, but they're addressing an immediate need to curtail this.  Trying to keep things operating to some degree because you can't shut it all down forever.  So it's a balance and they're targeting problem areas.  The school thing's been beat to death...it isn't ideal.  But kids have to be educated and some of them just can't do that from home.  

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're interpreting it to fit a narrative.

No socializing for two weeks.  It won't kill us, but COVID could.  From what I understand wandering around a mall isn't "essential"....so travel around the city is for essential purposes.  To work, feed ourselves, etc.

It isn't perfect, but they're addressing an immediate need to curtail this.  Trying to keep things operating to some degree because you can't shut it all down forever.  So it's a balance and they're targeting problem areas.  The school thing's been beat to death...it isn't ideal.  But kids have to be educated and some of them just can't do that from home.  

So you think Metro Town will be closed or empty of shoppers next week ?  Really ?

For young kids in their early 20's  - yes they will see a trip to mall as essential. Absolutely. 

Letting the kids go party at Cactus club now every evening is just insane .

BC needs true leadership if we are going to control covid .   Once again our BC government drops the ball and offers inconsistent message to our citizens. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So you think Metro Town will be closed or empty of shoppers next week ?  Really ?

Letting the kids go party at Cactus club now every evening is just insane .

BC needs true leadership if we are going to control covid .   Once again our BC government drops the ball and offers inconsistent message to our citizens. 

Well.........

I wonder why people are not just applying the rules we have been given..........a mask/washing hands/no large groups, etc......

You blame the Government and Dr. Henry, but really they are just scape goats for people that can't apply simple rules.

I would imagine, if they asked you/ordered you to stay in your house for 2 weeks, you would not listen anyways

Because....you know, you have rights! Never mind, if you do it, others will do it.........

I think there is enough info out there to make a mature, and reasonable decision...............it's not just about you!

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well.........

I wonder why people are not just applying the rules we have been given..........a mask/washing hands/no large groups, etc......

You blame the Government and Dr. Henry, but really they are just scape goats for people that can't apply simple rules.

I would imagine, if they asked you/ordered you to stay in your house for 2 weeks, you would not listen anyways

Because....you know, you have rights! Never mind, if you do it, others will do it.........

I think there is enough info out there to make a mature, and reasonable decision...............it's not just about you!

100% wrong.  I am the most consistent covid rule follower there is.  I need to protect an elderly parent. 

My concern is that BC 's guidelines are not enforced and are contradictory .  Young people are risk takers and need clear consistent guidance.  Letting young people spend the day at the mall and party at Cactus club... but not allow a visitor in their home.... well this makes  makes no sense.  Once again is inconsistent message.  Inconsistency leads to people ignoring BC guidelines. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

You know, there is just some common sense things everyone an do, and businesses could do.........

- How about putting in touch pad debit machines

- How about automatic doors

- How about ordering food in

- How about only 1 person going shopping per family, instead of the whole zoo

- How about taking sterilizing wipes with you

- How about not crowding in line ups

- How about not going to that party

- How about thinking about our elderly.......as the less people sick means the less people spreading it

Boy am I sick of excuses!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

For days now I’ve been watching US election coverage , seeing huge crowds everywhere and more sidearms than masks, they’re on the verge of a record Covid explosion like they’ve never seen.

I mentioned over in the US politics thread that Joe has his work cut out for him regarding this.

Someone pointed out he happens to have already have plans to put together a new Covid team as early as Monday.

Also, it's nice to hear JT wants to chat with Biden regarding Covid soon. Not something he and Trump were doing. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Mounties boarding some BC Ferries this weekend to make sure passengers leave their vehicles

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-rcmp-bc-ferries-1.5793637

I'm staying in my car if I have to travel. I'll take the charges, fines, ban, whatever. I'm staying in my car. Until this deadly pandemic is over. 

Management needs to take responsibility and help out the workers.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100% wrong.  I am the most consistent covid rule follower there is.  I need to protect an elderly parent. 

My concern is that BC 's guidelines are not enforced and are contradictory .  Young people are risk takers and need clear consistent guidance.  Letting young people spend the day at the mall and party at Cactus club... but not allow a visitor in their home.... well this makes  makes no sense.  Once again is inconsistent message.  Inconsistency leads to people ignoring BC guidelines. 

I don't mean "You" , I mean you as in each and everyone........

How about everyone, just smacking the side of these kids that are not thinking or ignoring.........and while we are at it,. there is a few older people that deserve the same

Honestly, I want free of choice............and do not want to be governed about common sense

It is your responsibility.... "Your" responsibility as in "Everyone's"

42 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

While I may not agree with you on a lot of things, you’re spot on here. The government is very inconsistent in their message. Bonnie Henry has been lionized to the point where any question about her or the government’s message is met with angry (and impotent) derision a lot of the time. 

Can anyone explain why gatherings of more than six are illegal, but planes are still leaving airports? Why are people allowed to travel for hours in a completely enclosed space, with recycled air? That exemption makes zero sense. 

As well, you can’t meet in your home with extended family, but you can meet with friends in a restaurant? Huh? 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Mounties boarding some BC Ferries this weekend to make sure passengers leave their vehicles

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-rcmp-bc-ferries-1.5793637

I'm staying in my car if I have to travel. I'll take the charges, fines, ban, whatever. I'm staying in my car. Until this deadly pandemic is over. 

What the hell is this about? What kind of draconian measure is this and how does this align in any way with social distancing?