The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

“Indoor sports, where physical distancing cannot be maintained, are suspended for these two weeks,” Henry said.

“This includes no indoor competitions or games for this short period of time. These activities can be replaced with individual exercise or practice and drills, as we did previously before we started the phases of our restart of sports programs. That allows everyone to maintain safe physical distancing when participating in these important physical activities.”

The restrictions also call for no travel out of your area in order to play.

“Indoor sports where physical distancing can’t be maintained are suspended, as are all travel for sports into/out of these regions,” said Health Minister Adrian Dix.

School-based physical education activities can continue, Henry added, but again, no indoor games may take place.

This order also appears to apply to adult recreational hockey leagues in the region, though that is still to be confirmed.

The NCHL which plays at the Richmond Oval, has informed teams that games scheduled for the next two weeks are cancelled. And the ASHL, which operates leagues in North Vancouver, Burnaby and Langley, confirmed to Postmedia that they have suspended play at their facilities until Nov. 23.

Shouldn't be playing....

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Looks like parents can now see kids that live at different addresses........ eg.  their adult children can come and visit..

However, the ministry also clarified what it meant by “household.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
“These would be the people you spend the most time with and are physically close to. These would be people who are part of your regular routine so household members, immediate family, a close friend or the people you have regular close contact with (for example a co-parent who lives outside the household),” said the statement.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Looks like parents can now see kids that live at different addresses........ eg.  their adult children can come and visit..

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
“These would be the people you spend the most time with and are physically close to. These would be people who are part of your regular routine so household members, immediate family, a close friend or the people you have regular close contact with (for example a co-parent who lives outside the household),” said the statement.

This definition isn't for "a visit".  They've left it open this way so families that rely on each other for certain things (like childcare or another necessity) can still do so.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This definition isn't for "a visit".  They've left it open this way so families that rely on each other for certain things (like childcare or another necessity) can still do so.

Sounds like a visit to me.... 

Family can  " SEE " immediate family members even if they have a different address.....

“Those who live alone cannot host gatherings, but can continue to see members of what they would consider their immediate household (as described above) at home, outside or at a restaurant.”

Social gathering,’ ‘household’ clarified under new Lower Mainland COVID-19 order

https://globalnews.ca/news/7450328/lower-mainland-covid-order-clarified/

Edited by kingofsurrey

It's pretty easy to figure out....I mean, they don't want to completely devastate families that rely on one another.  But "social/recreational visits" are not permitted.  If you HAVE to go do something essential for each other, do it.  If not, wait a couple of weeks.

They aren't spelling it out because different situations are just that...different.  For instance, I go to my Dad's because he's on his own, uses a walker and is fairly immobile and is awaiting surgery.  So I "have" to help him with shopping/cooking/his cat care...feeding/litter box cleaning, etc.  I don't just "go" over to have a cup of tea with him.

It's two weeks....basically anything you don't NEED to be doing...don't do it.  

If there's something you MUST do that isn't recreational, it's likely ok.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's pretty easy to figure out....I mean, they don't want to completely devastate families that rely on one another.  But "social/recreational visits" are not permitted.  If you HAVE to go do something essential for each other, do it.  If not, wait a couple of weeks.

They aren't spelling it out because different situations are just that...different.  For instance, I go to my Dad's because he's on his own, uses a walker and is fairly immobile and is awaiting surgery.  So I "have" to help him with shopping/cooking/his cat care...feeding/litter box cleaning, etc.  I don't just "go" over to have a cup of tea with him.

It's two weeks....basically anything you don't NEED to be doing...don't do it.  

If there's something you MUST do that isn't recreational, it's likely ok.

I think you are reading things into it.

This is direct cut and paste  - direct family members that are non household members...   can meet and see each other at home / restaurant / or outside... Pretty hard to argue that going to a restaurant is really needed....  It is clearly a social thing.

So basically people are free to meet with and spend time with their immediate family members even if they have different addresses....

Those who live alone cannot host gatherings, but can continue to see members of what they would consider their immediate household (as described above) at home, outside or at a restaurant.”

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think you are reading things into it.

This is direct cut and paste  - direct family members that are non household members...   can meet and see each other at home / restaurant / or outside...

Those who live alone cannot host gatherings, but can continue to see members of what they would consider their immediate household (as described above) at home, outside or at a restaurant.”

It says a lot more than just this bit that, if extracted and taken out of context, sure.

On Sunday, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health clarified that “social gathering” means any recreational gathering with others.

That means no picnics in the park or other group outdoor activities.

“Going for a walk is not considered a social gathering, but British Columbians need to be vigilant that a walk does not turn into a group of people meeting outside,” said the ministry in a statement.

I think it's fairly clear if it's all put together as it's meant to be.

You can go grab some food with a family member or two if you need to.  Not to socialize/hang out...to eat.  They don't want things turning into social "gatherings" but are not restricting families from being together.  

"See each other" not "gather".   You're complicating this and yes, some will abuse it with open interpretation.  I read it as do what you must and limit interactions.  Don't gather socially (anywhere) right now.  If you have to go pick up a prescription or grab some food, fine.  "Essential" versus "social".

I am reading things...not just snippets.  I'm putting all the information together and making sense of it.  Which is what we should do...NOT extract quotes to support an agenda/argument we have.

It's not perfect.  It's the first step and I'd guess if it isn't proving to be effective, there'll be more.

I understand you're unhappy with the people leading us through this.  I understand that it's likely not an easy job when it's one that depends on compliance.  Trying to balance so people can maintain "contact", have support and don't start experiencing mental health issues but still are practicing safe habits and eliminating risk.  It's a two sided coin and it hasn't been perfect but we still have the ability to regain control.  Which is the aim here.  Not to prove a point, but to bring the numbers back down.  Time will tell if it's a success or failure but that can't be pinned solely on those in charge.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

On Sunday, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health clarified that “social gathering” means any recreational gathering with others.

That means no picnics in the park or other group outdoor activities.

“Going for a walk is not considered a social gathering, but British Columbians need to be vigilant that a walk does not turn into a group of people meeting outside,” said the ministry in a statement.

Someone's going to abuse "rules" like this, no doubt.  Self-invigilating won't work (no one's going to report individuals who are clearly just friends from going on a walk which turns to going to eat or order take out and going back to one of their places, Vancouverites are too polite to do that) and some Karens are going to protest this out of their own selfishness.  

Suffice to say, I have no trust for honor systems or kind grandma styles of "keeping rules".

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Someone's going to abuse "rules" like this, no doubt.  Self-invigilating won't work (no one's going to report individuals who are clearly just friends from going on a walk which turns to going to eat or order take out and going back to one of their places, Vancouverites are too polite to do that) and some Karens are going to protest this out of their own selfishness.  

They already are....I went for a walk and because it was sunny, all kinds of picnics and groups of people were out there.  

But I don't think that would change much, even with tighter restrictions.   I mean, have we been able to stop drunk driving?  Excessive speeders and distracted drivers?  People know the risks, know they're not supposed to but....

Defiant people who won't be "told" what to do even IF there are consequences in place.  It's sad because they put our lives in jeopardy.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Suffice to say, I have no trust for honor systems or kind grandma styles of "keeping rules".

Agreed.   These new guidelines give immediate family members / non household members the GREEN light to visit each others homes.... have dinner together.....    Call it Dinner.    Call it a meeting...  Call it emotional support......       Just don't call it a. "  gathering.... 

Once again Horgan and Dr. B make a mess out of their covid regulations  / covid plan....

Quebec is clear in their restrictions...

Measures in force - Red zone

At home
(houses and cottages)

Prohibited:

• visitors from another address

Allowed:

• a single visitor from another address for single individuals (it is recommended to always have the same person in order to limit social contact)
  • informal caregivers
  • individuals offering services or support
  • labour for planned work
Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed.   These new guidelines give immediate family members / non household members the GREEN light to visit each others homes.... have dinner together.....    Call it Dinner.    Call it a meeting...  Call it emotional support......       Just don't call it a. "  gathering.... 

Once again Horgan and Dr. B make a mess out of their covid regulations  / covid plan....

Quebec is clear in their restrictions...

Measures in force - Red zone

At home
(houses and cottages)

Prohibited:

• visitors from another address

Allowed:

• a single visitor from another address for single individuals (it is recommended to always have the same person in order to limit social contact)
  • informal caregivers
  • individuals offering services or support
  • labour for planned work

Not really.  Define "support".

• Cheers 2

A real head scratcher.......   You can have your kid  ( any Immediate family members ) drive  over to your place to visit....   You can't have your neighbour over....

BUT 

Faith groups and churches are not included and may still gather up to 50 people with distancing measures in place.

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

A real head scratcher.......   You can have your kid  ( any Immediate family members ) drive  over to your place to visit....   You can't have your neighbour over....

BUT 

Faith groups and churches are not included and may still gather up to 50 people with distancing measures in place.

So a kid is support?  But a neighbour isn't?  My Dad's neighbour cuts his grass and puts his recycling out....in support of him.

It doesn't say "immediate family member"...it says "from another address".  Single individual?  Is that someone unmarried or a/one person (which single usually indicates).

Not so clear cut, really.

And QB has a whole list of things that you just extracted from:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/level-4-maximum-alert-red/

They, too, have some things that are tailored to meet needs if deemed necessary.  Not just a total shutdown. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So a kid is support?  But a neighbour isn't?  My Dad's neighbour cuts his grass and puts his recycling out....in support of him.

Dr. B 's household is pretty flexible.... see below...

These would be people who are part of your regular routine so household members, immediate family, a close friend or the people you have regular close contact with

This one is hard to understand...  Faith groups are OK... but  meeting up with your book reading club is a NO....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr. B 's household is pretty flexible.... see below...

These would be people who are part of your regular routine so household members, immediate family, a close friend or the people you have regular close contact with

This one is hard to understand...  Faith groups are OK... but  meeting up with your book reading club is a NO....

They shut church services down before, so they'll do it again if they find it necessary.  Perhaps they're not seeing spread at church services that take the measures seriously?

It's a couple weeks old now probably, but I remember reading/hearing that 80-90% of the spread in BC was from social gatherings.  So this is what they are trying to stop.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They shut church services down before, so they'll do it again if they find it necessary.  Perhaps they're not seeing spread at church services that take the measures seriously?

It's a couple weeks old now probably, but I remember reading/hearing that 80-90% of the spread in BC was from social gatherings.  So this is what they are trying to stop.

Public places have restrictions in place and must abide by them...provisions that people in home/private gatherings were not following.  

The goal isn't to shut it all down...things that are working can continue.  Things that are problematic are the focus.  Right now it's people organizing PRIVATE gatherings who are problematic and the order addresses that end of things.

Sigh...I'm glad you understand it as it's been laid out.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They already are....I went for a walk and because it was sunny, all kinds of picnics and groups of people were out there.  

But I don't think that would change much, even with tighter restrictions.   I mean, have we been able to stop drunk driving?  Excessive speeders and distracted drivers?  People know the risks, know they're not supposed to but....

Defiant people who won't be "told" what to do even IF there are consequences in place.  It's sad because they put our lives in jeopardy.

That was exactly what I saw today when I went for a stroll too... frustrating that good ones like us are law abiding and the bad ones go wherever they wish at others' utter neglect.  Without effective punishment this feeble "governing" will just fall on deaf ears.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sigh...I'm glad you understand it as it's been laid out.

Dr B / Horgan  convoluted covid guidelines.....  Head scratcher for sure......  

Every other province has clear guidelines... BC's guidelines are clear as mud...  People will not follow unclear restrictions. 

Edited by kingofsurrey