The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Very encouraging news today re: Pfizer and the vaccine. Hopefully that >90% claim will hold up, once the data becomes public, and peer review happens. But it’s very exciting. >90% effectiveness is huge. Even 50-60% would have been very positive news, but at >90%, we’re talking an efficacy rate similar to what we see from childhood vaccines like measles and mumps, rather than from flu vaccines (often <50% effectiveness). Also glad to see Trudeau saying that this should mean Canadians will be getting their Covid vaccinations in the first quarter of 2021, and the GoC already having secured the supply of millions of doses for use by us folks living north of the border.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Very encouraging news today re: Pfizer and the vaccine. Hopefully that >90% claim will hold up, once the data becomes public, and peer review happens. But it’s very exciting. >90% effectiveness is huge. Even 50-60% would have been very positive news, but at >90%, we’re talking an efficacy rate similar to what we see from childhood vaccines like measles and mumps, rather than from flu vaccines (often <50% effectiveness). Also glad to see Trudeau saying that this should mean Canadians will be getting their Covid vaccinations in the first quarter of 2021, and the GoC already having secured the supply of millions of doses for use by us folks living north of the border.

The flip side is that there is no data which shows whether or not the vaccine will be effective in limiting the most severe effects of the virus for those who take the vaccine and still are infected. 

There’s been no medical peer review undertaken. 

You’ll need to take it twice a year, every year. 

Storage at -70c is going to be an issue for many places. 

Distribution of the vaccine across Canada may take awhile. 

Other than that i’m still hopeful. This vaccine will also need to be taken by the vast majority of the population to be effective and stamping out the pandemic. 

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yesterday was the 5th straight day of over 100,000 new cases in the U.S.

https://www.us-covid-tracker.com/

3,574,759 active cases as of today at 10:28 pdt.

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

with a 2.4% mortality rate about 85,794 of those folk will pass away; added to the already dead 243,820  it will be well over 325,000.

keep the border closed!

Ha...wait

the last week of elections, protests and baited breath followed by celebrations in the stree.

Double double says 125k a day in 2 weeks or less

58 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The flip side is that there is no data which shows whether or not the vaccine will be effective in limiting the most severe effects of the virus for those who take the vaccine and still are infected. 

There’s been no medical peer review undertaken. 

You’ll need to take it twice a year, every year. 

Storage at -70c is going to be an issue for many places. 

Distribution of the vaccine across Canada may take awhile. 

Other than that i’m still hopeful. This vaccine will also need to be taken by the vast majority of the population to be effective and stamping out the pandemic. 

Houston We Have A Problem GIF by memecandy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

This vaccine will also need to be taken by the vast majority of the population to be effective and stamping out the pandemic. 

I believe you're correct, how many people need the vaccine for it to be effective, I don't actually know.

I don't claim to be a medical professional, but wouldn't it be like Polio, Rubella, Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, etc....where we also have vaccines for those but there are MANY people in our society (and the world) who don't get the vaccine (for whatever reason) but these diseases/viruses don't grow into world-wide pandemics because enough people DO have immunizations. 

Is it just a matter of time until the vaccine goes on the regular 'immunization schedule' for newborns/infants/toddlers/grade-school kids/new immigrants/etc...'? 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If your students says 30 kids in a classroom can be a metre apart from each other

Well the desks are 70cm apart (sideways), their mouths are 15 cm in from each side of their desk. So 70 + 15 + 15 = 100cm, which equals 1.00 metre. Q.E.D.

12 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I jumped off during the protests, when they were banning mass gatherings but condoning protests.

This is something you'd see or hear on Fox News. "Where is the social distancing and masks at BLM rallies? Why should we have to do it at a Trump rally?" The difference is that a political rally is PLANNED by a political party. A BLM rally or people dancing in the street, was NOT organized by a political party. Every Democrat would wish that they all had masks and social distancing, but they have no control over it. Many rallies are just sheer frustration with police killings.

• Cheers 1

According to a friend who works in biotech the issue of cold storage for the vaccine isn't any big deal, many vaccines require that and they use dry ice to achieve.  Or in Winnipeg they just store it outside in the snow bank LOL!  

I think it will be many months before we achieve a high enough vaccination rate to greatly impact the spread just from the production and distribution of this vaccine and the fact it requires 2 doses 21 days apart.  Just because Canada has ordered 20M doses that doesn't mean we will get them all at once.  If Pfizer can produce 100M doses, that will be split between all the countries that have ordered some.  Hopefully it won't be another PPE issue where the US hijacked orders to redirect them to the US.  Once Canada receives the start of our shipments, I expect there will be a staggered distribution, likely first in line will be the most vulnerable and those working with them and essential services like medical and first responders.  There was some interesting info on 60 minutes last night about it and how the distribution in the US is being managed.  I beileve its anticipated to be well into 2022 before everyone can expect to be vaccinated.   I think it's going to be a challenge as some people will want to queue jump as they think their needs supersede others.  Might get ugly!  

Of course that may change if other developers bring vaccination options on line and increase the availability. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I believe you're correct, how many people need the vaccine for it to be effective, I don't actually know.

I don't claim to be a medical professional, but wouldn't it be like Polio, Rubella, Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, etc....where we also have vaccines for those but there are MANY people in our society (and the world) who don't get the vaccine (for whatever reason) but these diseases/viruses don't grow into world-wide pandemics because enough people DO have immunizations. 

Is it just a matter of time until the vaccine goes on the regular 'immunization schedule' for newborns/infants/toddlers/grade-school kids/new immigrants/etc...'? 

33% of Americans will refuse free Covid Vacination.....

But many Americans appear reluctant to be vaccinated, even if a vaccine were FDA-approved and available to them at no cost. Asked if they would get such a COVID-19 vaccine, 65% say they would, but 35% would not.

The results are based on July 20-Aug. 2 polling in Gallup's COVID-19 tracking survey, conducted with members of Gallup's probability-based panel.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/317018/one-three-americans-not-covid-vaccine.aspx

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

33% of Americans will refuse free Covid Vacination.....

But many Americans appear reluctant to be vaccinated, even if a vaccine were FDA-approved and available to them at no cost. Asked if they would get such a COVID-19 vaccine, 65% say they would, but 35% would not.

The results are based on July 20-Aug. 2 polling in Gallup's COVID-19 tracking survey, conducted with members of Gallup's probability-based panel.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/317018/one-three-americans-not-covid-vaccine.aspx

That’s Partially because Trump was pushing it. Unfortunately media made it political. 

Now that he’s probably out the number of being willing to take could increase. 

Hate to see sides being drawn between things like a Covid shot. (“vaccine”) but that’s just the way the world is. 

• Cheers 1

I wish Horgan and Dr. B would be more pro science like Biden is.....

US President-elect Joe Biden has delivered a passionate appeal to Americans to wear a mask as the best way to "turn this pandemic around".

In a TV address, he said "I implore you, wear a mask", calling it the "single most effective thing we can do to stop the spread of Covid".

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54875485