The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Friday to Saturday update happened when she had her uncharacteristic Saturday briefing, complete with public health orders.

Weird how in Quebec  covid is spread through schools....  but covid does not spread through BC schoools.....

Hmmm.........    Who to believe... ?

Montreal schools now driving force of COVID-19 spread: experts

Two experts who have examined the latest public health data showing rising cases and outbreaks among students.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-schools-now-driving-force-of-covid-19-spread-experts

Her views sort of echo this Quebec doctor's (as there is conflict there re schools):

But not everyone is convinced that schools are the primary source of all the current COVID-19 spread.

Dr. Caroline Quach, a doctor based at Ste-Justine hospital who specializes in infection prevention and control, says school COVID-19 cases are an effect, not a cause.

“There is transmission in schools,” she said. “But to me, schools are not the culprit of the second wave—schools are a reflection of the second wave.”

Are the schools CAUSING the transmission or is there activity happening out there (related to events/celebrations/etc.) that transmits the virus that is then brought in to the schools?   

It's like a dog chasing its tail.

Bottom line is...it's clear health officials feel that the critical areas to keep open are:  health care (duh); employment (as much as possible) and schools/education.

They're trying to "protect" schools as much as possible and that does start OUTSIDE the schools, with what's happening in the community.  Working in a school now, I'm honestly terrified and don't disagree with you KOS.   But I do every single thing to protect myself and those around me...I wear a mask and a face shield (uncomfortable as hell).  I have my office window open, an air purifier and a fan going at all times.  Maximum 2 people in the office at a time and I insist masks are worn in there.  I frequently wash/sanitize/wipe things down with Lysol wipes.  It isn't ideal and, obviously, it's unnerving...but I have to work.  And others do too.  Kids have to learn.  We all have to make this as safe as possible....if we just shut down schools it's not like kids won't still be out there...some will be brought to the workplace.  Others will likely be cared for in groups.  It's a matter of making sure safety protocols are in place wherever they do go during the day.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Her views sort of echo this Quebec doctor's (as there is conflict there re schools):

Are the schools CAUSING the transmission or is there activity happening out there (related to events/celebrations/etc.) that transmits the virus that is then brought in to the schools?   

How can a highly contagious airborn virus not be spread with 30 kids in a  poorly ventilated room all day not wearing masks... no real social distancing.

This makes no sense.     People don't believe the BC government..... 

COVID-19 (coronavirus) in babies and children

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Children of all ages can become ill with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). But most kids who are infected typically don't become as sick as adults and some might not show any symptoms at all

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How can a highly contagious airborn virus not be spread with 30 kids in a  poorly ventilated room all day not wearing masks... no real social distancing.

This makes no sense.     People don't believe this.  

1.  Children/teachers/staff are not to attend school with symptoms...parents are ordered to do daily health checks and school staff also must do the same

2.  Children are tested and cannot return to school until tests prove they are negative

3.  Teachers ensure that safety protocols are followed as much as possible (it's a huge ask, I know)

4.  Open windows/air purifiers/fans 

5.  Some kids DO wear masks (at our school anyhow).  Face shields.

As stated...these kids' parents would still have to work.  So kids would be in daycare/groups somewhere else.  

It certainly isn't ideal and I'm not convinced there won't be a shut down and return to online learning at some point.  But, until then we have to do everything humanly possible to protect kids/everyone.  That's part of my job and I take it damn seriously.  We all should be.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This makes no sense.     People don't believe the BC government..... 

COVID-19 (coronavirus) in babies and children

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Children of all ages can become ill with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). But most kids who are infected typically don't become as sick as adults and some might not show any symptoms at all

Our children need an education

They cant pull them out of school again

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

1.  Children/teachers/staff are not to attend school with symptoms...parents are ordered to do daily health checks and school staff also must do the same

2.  Children are tested and cannot return to school until tests prove they are negative

3.  Teachers ensure that safety protocols are followed as much as possible (it's a huge ask, I know)

4.  Open windows/air purifiers/fans 

5.  Some kids DO wear masks (at our school anyhow).  Face shields.

As stated...these kids' parents would still have to work.  So kids would be in daycare/groups somewhere else.  

It certainly isn't ideal and I'm not convinced there won't be a shut down and return to online learning at some point.  But, until then we have to do everything humanly possible to protect kids/everyone.  That's part of my job and I take it damn seriously.  We all should be.  

How can you keep kids safe all day in a poorly ventilated portable classroom with an airborn highly contagious virus ....

Serious question ?     

Air purifiers in classroom...  - are you serious ? Did the government provide one to each classroom in BC ?

The BC government did not even provide portable sinks and enough hand sanitizer to BC teachers... I think the purifiers will still be on Santa's wish list as Horgan is Scrooge in terms of PPE to teachers. / students. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Since I work rotation from home and head office, week by week. Company said option if we wish to stay home for two weeks. With my rotation I won't have to go back until 30th of November. Guess we'll see how this goes. 

Just got an email from the landlord. No guests are invited for the time being.

Wonder how Grinchy this Christmas will be? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Our children need an education

They cant pull them out of school again

Teachers / school staff and students deserve to be safe at work /school     Attending all day indoors with zero  mandatory / required PPE is dangerous and makes absolutely zero sense.    IN BC. we should not  be working  with  1820   coal mine safety processes in place.   

Dr. B and the BC government needs to start following Science in their covid decisions. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Fleming says the province’s guidelines on some things, like masks, are both clear and specific, and the expectation is that they are being adhered to.

“Middle and secondary school students absolutely have to wear masks when they’re outside of their learning cohorts, when they’re in crowded areas, of course when they’re using any form of transportation to get to and from school, and our mask mandate remains consistent with almost every other province and territory,” he says.

When it comes to physical distancing, the guideline specifies students should be kept one metre apart.

“Those are the guidelines that suggest how desks should be configured and the guidelines have been co-created with every partner in the sector including teachers’ representatives, principals and vice-principals, parents organizations. Obviously, the science is left to the public health management and they submitted those guidelines to the sector so they could plan the restart,” he says.

When that can’t happen, or isn’t happening, there is no requirement to install barriers, but Fleming says many schools are opting to do so.

“We’ve allowed districts a considerable amount of flexibility about the kinds of barriers that they wish to provide,” he notes.

“There are considerable amounts of money being spent on plexiglass barriers within schools, and districts have a high degree of freedom to determine for themselves how much they may additionally need. The money’s been supplied to do that. Districts are in fact making those kind of investments in their libraries and common areas and indeed in classroom settings.”

Fleming outlines a number of ways districts have spent the first installment of $290-million of COVID-specific funding.

“We do know from surveying districts that they have purchased 64,000 laptops and tablets to support remote learning of their students that’s a huge amount of technology purchased compared to previous school years. We have something like 25,000 hand sanitizer stations that have been created in schools, over 1,000 additional handwashing stations have been built and supplied in the school system. And of course, we have a good idea of how many millions of articles of PPE have been bought and supplied to the school system,” he says.

Although I'm in a private school, there are measures in place.  PPE (we got a mask and shield), sanitizing stations, very clear guidelines and spacing in relation to how/where to enter the school (kids and staff only unless appointments - which mostly are virtual).  Wipes at copiers, shared spaces, etc. and the custodian sprays/disinfects door handles, etc. regularly.  Plexiglass barriers in the main admin office and the wing I'm in has clearly posted office/room capacity signs posted on each door.   Again...purifiers, fans, open windows.

It's not like nothing's being done.   Although I can't speak to the public system as I'm not part of it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Although I'm in a private school, there are measures in place.  PPE (we got a mask and shield), sanitizing stations, very clear guidelines and spacing in relation to how/where to enter the school (kids and staff only unless appointments - which mostly are virtual).  Wipes at copiers, shared spaces, etc. and the custodian sprays/disinfects door handles, etc. regularly.  Plexiglass barriers in the main admin office and the wing I'm in has clearly posted office/room capacity signs posted on each door.   Again...purifiers, fans, open windows.

It's not like nothing's being done.   Although I can't speak to the public system as I'm not part of it.

Yes, it is very clear you are in a private school .   

Seems like more and More  BC Public school parents  no longer trust our govenment and their Covid protocols in regards to BC schools.   27,000 now belong to this group and the number is growing each and every day.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/11/09/Parents-Share-Doubts-Facebook-COVID-Schools/ 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

Dr. B's spin doctor

Documents obtained by theBreaker.news under the freedom of information law show NLK billed $8,400 for 40 hours in February and then averaged more than $25,000 a month from March through May. The government was supposed to release more-recent invoices on Oct. 6, but decided to delay until after the election.

https://thebreaker.news/business/bonnie-henry-spin-doctor/

For the price of one spin doctor, you too could purchase air cleaners and masks for each classroom while making it mandatory - and safer for everyone

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

Italy has 35,098 new coronavirus cases vs. 25,271 the prior day

Tue 10 Nov 2020 16:49:26 GMT

Covid cases out of Italy

Italy has 35,098 new coronavirus cases vs. 25,271 from the prior report
  • Deaths come in at 580. That is the 1st daily toll above 500 since April 21. The high death count reached 921 on March 27th. 
italy covid cases
The case count reached an all-time high last week at 39,809.   The dip in cases yesterday was congruent with the and the weekend data.

9 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Please don't use initials. Who, or what is NLK ?

Nicola Lambrechts of NLK Strategies in North Vancouver

Behind the scenes, the folk song-inspiring, Fluevog-wearing provincial health officer has her own spin doctor, who billed taxpayers more than $84,000 during four months earlier this year.

An Oct. 5 report for the Canadian Federation of Nurses singled out B.C.’s NDP government for hiding too much information and putting the health of frontline nurses at risk.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nicola Lambrechts of NLK Strategies in North Vancouver

Behind the scenes, the folk song-inspiring, Fluevog-wearing provincial health officer has her own spin doctor, who billed taxpayers more than $84,000 during four months earlier this year.

An Oct. 5 report for the Canadian Federation of Nurses singled out B.C.’s NDP government for hiding too much information and putting the health of frontline nurses at risk.

Why does anyone need a PR person when talking to the populace about health safety?

Thanks @kingofsurrey for the post. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why does anyone need a PR person when talking to the populace about health safety?

Thanks @kingofsurrey for the post. 

to ensure the right message is put out, to practice the news conferences before hand so as to eliminate slip ups and mixed/partial messaging.

Seems like good money spent, to me.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Seems like good money spent, to me.

I would prefer to see tax payers money spent on making kids safe at school..  air purifiers in BC public schools....  like Deb's private school has...  than  a spin doctor for our PHO.....   25 K a month is a bit over the top....  pretty sure the NDP already has a whole team of PR people that could have done this work already on gov. salary...

But again thats just me. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1