The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

So Cypress Mountain opens today. Grouse will soon too. Apparently they will be asking folks to wear a mask, pre-booking sky rides. Social distancing.

And cleaning throughout the resorts. They will be checking up on staff as well. 

Whistler will be opening Dec 8th. Mandatory masks, physical distancing, reservations, and cashless transactions. Only 2 people on a four person lift. (On opposite ends)

31 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

We need to mark 2039 in our calendars, I wonder if the NHL draft class that year will be especially thin, are there any reports if the pregnancy rate has gone up or down?

I have read that the birth rate is going down. I would have thought it would go up with everyone stuck indoors but the reduction of care and unsure future may be causing some couples to wait?

Speaking of reduction in care, apparently stillborn rates are increasing worldwide during the pandemic due to women not getting as much health care support. 

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The South Asian and the 20-30 year old community, around metro-van, needs to get its act together. 

I want to see more information being put into and out of the temples and Punjabi tv shows/news channels.

The South Asian community is a good and responsive community but it needs the focus of the govt and it’s own internal messaging to get the word out about the provincial health guidelines. If not, then hit them in the wallet, hard. That might just get some of them to take more notice. 

they're going to go through some suffering in the next month, hopefully that straightens them out.  All those multi generational households?  Yikes

• Hydration 2
11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just don't see getting Kitkats from various strangers homes as essential during a viral pandemic crisis.  Justify the activity  however you want though. 

Just hoping we can still meet as a family  ( various households ) for this xmas......

I think i read in Quebec it may be only 2 households meeting at a time max for xmas.  That is terrible. 

Really hoping we can stablize the covid so we can have a xmas event with our families.   2020 sucks. 

We are likely planning to only see my wife's parents who are already in our small bubble. It's a weird arse year.

• Hydration 2
45 minutes ago, stawns said:

they're going to go through some suffering in the next month, hopefully that straightens them out.  All those multi generational households?  Yikes

Bravado and ignorance will bring about heartache. 

• Hydration 2
Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Bravado and ignorance will bring about heartache. 

yup

Much of my farm life is ingrained in that community and I have a lot of respect for their culture and the way they live.  However, I fear they are going to suffer deeply in the next 6 months for the way they are reacting to the circumstances

• Hydration 2
4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because I work in the school system I can't even see my parents, who are both 78........one of whom has cancer and diabetes.  I'm far too exposed to subject them to that risk.  The holidays, for me, are going to be pretty lonely and isolated

We can celebrate a socially distanced Festivus and air our grievances together. 

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1

Today - Quebec reports 1,301 new cases, 30 deaths

This is where BC will be at in a few weeks.... Really think we are blowing it in BC by not doing a 2 week shutdown  / pause / circuit break.

2 week shutdown now could  potentially re- flatten the covid curve in BC.   Think the weak covid restrictions imposed recently will have little to no effect.

Just drove by a mall this AM - on their sign at the mall it stated - We encourage masks....

BC is simply not willing to make the hard decisions now.  It will cost us in a month.  Probably cost more than a few lives. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Hydration 1

Wow - this is kind of frightening.. Another good reason to phase out fur farms....

Mutated strain of coronavirus 'can jump back and forth'

A new coronavirus strain could potentially leap to other animals, such as rats, mice, ferrets and voles, an expert has warned.

The virus could then "come back in future years into the human population", said Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust.

Mink, like their close relatives, ferrets, are known to be susceptible to coronavirus, and like humans, they can show a range of symptoms, from no signs of illness at all to severe problems, such as pneumonia.

Scientists suspect the virus spreads in mink farms through infectious droplets, on feed or bedding, or in dust containing droppings.

They fear mink have become "reservoirs for the virus" and say surveillance is required in other wild and domestic animals.

Outbreaks of coronavirus have been reported on fur farms in the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Italy and the US.

The UK and Austria banned fur production years ago, while Germany has phased it out, with plans to end mink farming in Belgium, France and Norway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54918267

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because I work in the school system I can't even see my parents, who are both 78........one of whom has cancer and diabetes.  I'm far too exposed to subject them to that risk.  The holidays, for me, are going to be pretty lonely and isolated

Flip that frown upside down my friend. Quiet Christmas is the best!

Drinks for everyone starting at 7am! 

• Hydration 1

US covid cases continue to explode higher. Near 200,000 per day

Fri 13 Nov 2020 19:13:54 GMT

Daily cases approach 200,000

Daily cases approach 200,000
There are various different tallies on the virus but the CDC today puts it at 194,610 from 143,408 yesterday.

Generally, the weekly case tend to peak Thurs-Sat with a lull on Monday. Last Friday, US cases were 127K and two weeks ago they were at 78K. Another two weeks at this pace would mean 500,000 cases per day but at some point before then you likely max out testing capacity.

The number of people hospitalized in the US is already at a record deaths yesterday were 1100. It won't be long before many hospital systems are overrun. I expect that will be the trigger for new restrictions, something that could impact markets next week.

On the regional front, New York cases rose above 5000 for the first time since April and Illinois hit a record 15.4K cases with 13.2% positivity.
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic