The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

It should not be up to the business to enforce with out a provincial mandate that masks are mandatory in all indoor businesses. 

Without a provincial order in place mandating the use of masks, its up to the business to mandate or not mandate the use of masks as part of their Worksafe covid plan in their place of business.  If someone walks into the place of business without a mask, employees and or customers have to report this violation to worksafe which leads to having to wait for an enforcement officer, then tickets to be written up, reports filed etc...  If a provincial order is in place requiring masks be worn in all indoor public places, customers or employees can call the police if someone refuses to mask up and doesn't leave if asked.  It now becomes a matter of public safety.  This is the way I see it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Without a provincial order in place mandating the use of masks, its up to the business to mandate or not mandate the use of masks as part of their Worksafe covid plan in their place of business.  If someone walks into the place of business without a mask, employees and or customers have to report this violation to worksafe which leads to having to wait for an enforcement officer, then tickets to be written up, reports filed etc...  If a provincial order is in place requiring masks be worn in all indoor public places, customers or employees can call the police if someone refuses to mask up and doesn't leave if asked.  It now becomes a matter of public safety.  This is the way I see it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this also the rule for schools ? Or does Covid somehow die as soon as the virus enters onto a school property ?

Or does Work safe BC not protect  workers in school ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is this also the rule for schools ? Or does Covid somehow die as soon as the virus enters onto a school property ?

Or does Work safe BC not protect  workers in school ?

It works for all places of employment.  or at least it should.

Remember that under Work Safe guidelines in coming up with a Covid Plan, the mandating of masks does not have to be part of that guideline as long as other proper measures have been taken.

Yes I agree with you KOS, there is a huge gray area when it comes to schools.  

Just now, coho8888 said:

It works for all places of employment.  or at least it should.

Remember that under Work Safe guidelines in coming up with a Covid Plan, the mandating of masks does not have to be part of that guideline as long as other proper measures have been taken.

Yes I agree with you KOS, there is a huge gray area when it comes to schools.  

Yes, the music teacher in Surrey that was teaching hundreds of kids... no mask required. No social distancing. No plastic barriers.  Poorly venitlated  portable classroom.  NOW in the  ICU.   She and her family may also be asking why she was not PROTECTED by WORK SAFE BC......

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Demand? Ok. That still won’t get people who aren’t complying now to comply because a politician demanded it. 

Law enforcement is already handing out fines. 

I think when you look at how Doug Ford is putting himself out there, Horgan could be doing more. To what effect? not sure, but at least he'd be trying a little harder. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

they can enforce. Any business who doesn't make people comply should be hit with significant fines

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

It should not be up to the business to enforce with out a provincial mandate that masks are mandatory in all indoor businesses. 

have to agree with Spur on this one. Its hard enough dealing with the public as it is. My daughter works in retail right now, and about once per day she gets some asshat coming in not wearing a mask. Last thing I want for her is to get into it with some dingus. 

• Upvote 1

One of the challenges of trying to find ways to fight this virus is that there is no government on earth that can regulate stupidity and selfishness.  Mandated masks don't help in all situations, and in particular in the Fraser Valley right now.  For example:

42 people infected because some stupid selfish idiots thought it was a good idea to go get a workout in after having had a COVID test and being told to self isolate until the results came back.  So, being asked to stay away from people for 48 - 72 hours was too much of a burden?  

A Mom in Abbotsford now in hospital just coming off a ventilator because she ignored public safety recommendations and had some people over to the house to have a birthday celebration.  One of the people who came was sick but still thought it was ok to go out to an indoor group.  So 2 idiots who ignored public health recommendations.  

All the mandatory mask regulations in the world will do nothing in situations like this.  People need to get their head out of their butt and start recognizing that their individual actions are creating the problems and making other people sick.  I am so sick of the selfishness.  

We've been in this mess now for 9 months, there isn't a person on earth who doesn't know what we are all expected to do.  Why in hell do we need the government to regulate it.  Other places that have mandatory masks are having no better results than we are.  Calgary and Edmonton come to mind.  Yeh, AB is really doing well.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

My daughter works in retail right now, and about once per day she gets some asshat coming in not wearing a mask. Last thing I want for her is to get into it with some dingus. 

My fear with any sort of mandate is that this will only get uglier because the people who are adamant they aren't wearing a mask are still going to push the issue and it puts everyone who is trying to enforce the order at risk.   We've seen multiple videos of that happening in various Transit situations and it gets ugly.  It then makes it dangerous for any employee who is trying to do their job.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, skategal said:

My fear with any sort of mandate is that this will only get uglier because the people who are adamant they aren't wearing a mask are still going to push the issue and it puts everyone who is trying to enforce the order at risk.   We've seen multiple videos of that happening in various Transit situations and it gets ugly.  It then makes it dangerous for any employee who is trying to do their job.  

Pretty much every city in Canada 100% disagrees with you.......   but of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it not not commonly shared.    BC is now different than other provinces.  We are all in this together.  

Edited by kingofsurrey

I was at the doctor's office seven times last month. It's mandatory to wear a mask on the premises at all times. There is signage on the front door you can't miss saying as much, signage everywhere inside including in the exam rooms to not take it off during your exam.

Just about every time I was there someone walked in not wearing a mask (and no it wasn't because of a medical condition that prevented them from wearing one).

Also, one of the times I was there a woman walked in saying that she needed a COVID test because of some symptoms she was showing, but she was turned away by other offices/clinics telling her she wasn't supposed to be there. She thought the COVID testing place was closed or something. Apparently phones and the Internet haven't been invented yet.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

I was at the doctor's office seven times last month. It's mandatory to wear a mask on the premises at all times. There is signage on the front door you can't miss saying as much, signage everywhere inside including in the exam rooms to not take it off during your exam.

Just about every time I was there someone walked in not wearing a mask (and no it wasn't because of a medical condition that prevented them from wearing one).

Also, one of the times I was there a woman walked in saying that she needed a COVID test because of some symptoms she was showing, but she was turned away by other offices/clinics telling her she wasn't supposed to be there. She thought the COVID testing place was closed or something. Apparently phones and the Internet haven't been invented yet.

That office needs a button...  front person presses button and  the floor opens up under the covidiot...  the coviot falls down / out the hole... down a chute... ends up on the sidewalk on their arse....   Then front door is locked.     They can f right off.  

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, the music teacher in Surrey that was teaching hundreds of kids... no mask required. No social distancing. No plastic barriers.  Poorly venitlated  portable classroom.  NOW in the  ICU.   She and her family may also be asking why she was not PROTECTED by WORK SAFE BC......

Did she get it from the school or from the community?

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Did she get it from the school or from the community?

How exactly can that be determined... ?  Seriously.....   sorry but i really think that can not be determined....  The only way to know would be to test her 500 students....     Not going to happen.   Could have been an asymptomatic student.....  very easily....

Working with 500 kids with NO PPE ...  during a pandemic... Really ??????   Thanks Dr. B. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty much every city in Canada 100% disagrees with you.......   but of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it not not commonly shared.    BC is now different than other provinces.  We are all in this together.  

And the mask mandates are accomplishing what exactly?  Every province is getting hammered with skyrocketing case counts.  Contact tracing in the Fraser Valley seems to indicate that the majority of spread is as a result of gatherings in homes.  Masks won't solve that.  Anyone that cares is already wearing masks everywhere.  If only we could isolate the people that don't give a crap and transport them all to some deserted island where they could just infect each other and not the average public that are trying their best to play by the rules.  

I'm sure you've seen the same videos I have of people having meltdowns about being asked to wear a mask inside stores.  No staff person who is probably barely out of high school should be expected to deal with being threatened by some lunatic raving about "their rights".  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have to agree with Spur on this one. Its hard enough dealing with the public as it is. My daughter works in retail right now, and about once per day she gets some asshat coming in not wearing a mask. Last thing I want for her is to get into it with some dingus. 

it's going to be a lot more painful when this is completely out of control and she's out of work

11 minutes ago, skategal said:

And the mask mandates are accomplishing what exactly?  Every province is getting hammered with skyrocketing case counts.  Contact tracing in the Fraser Valley seems to indicate that the majority of spread is as a result of gatherings in homes.  Masks won't solve that.  Anyone that cares is already wearing masks everywhere.  If only we could isolate the people that don't give a crap and transport them all to some deserted island where they could just infect each other and not the average public that are trying their best to play by the rules.  

I'm sure you've seen the same videos I have of people having meltdowns about being asked to wear a mask inside stores.  No staff person who is probably barely out of high school should be expected to deal with being threatened by some lunatic raving about "their rights".  

I'd say, right now we are at about 40% mask use in public.  Those people who are ignorant enough to have gatherings in the home are then going out into public and will spread the virus in public.  You wouldn't get 100% usage, no argument, but I'd bet you'd double what it is now to 80% and that would make a HUGE difference

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say, right now we are at about 40% mask use in public.  Those people who are ignorant enough to have gatherings in the home are then going out into public and will spread the virus in public.  You wouldn't get 100% usage, no argument, but I'd bet you'd double what it is now to 80% and that would make a HUGE difference

I’ve found mask usage to be a bit better in public the last couple of weeks. At my local Safeway on Saturday I didn’t see a single

person not wearing a mask, and as far as I know Safeway doesn’t have a mandatory mask policy. 

As you mentioned in your post, I think it’s more about what people are doing in their social lives, on private property, that’s causing much of this spread. I do think a mask mandate would help a bit but I don’t know if we’d see a massive improvement. It’s too hard to police. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1