The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I’ve found mask usage to be a bit better in public the last couple of weeks. At my local Safeway on Saturday I didn’t see a single

person not wearing a mask, and as far as I know Safeway doesn’t have a mandatory mask policy. 

As you mentioned in your post, I think it’s more about what people are doing in their social lives, on private property, that’s causing much of this spread. I do think a mask mandate would help a bit but I don’t know if we’d see a massive improvement. It’s too hard to police. 

I was in safeway yesterday, and I'd say it was about 40-50%.  I do live in the Okanagan, however, which has a higher dbag count than most areas of the province

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, skategal said:

And the mask mandates are accomplishing what exactly?  Every province is getting hammered with skyrocketing case counts.  Contact tracing in the Fraser Valley seems to indicate that the majority of spread is as a result of gatherings in homes.  Masks won't solve that.  Anyone that cares is already wearing masks everywhere.  If only we could isolate the people that don't give a crap and transport them all to some deserted island where they could just infect each other and not the average public that are trying their best to play by the rules.  

I'm sure you've seen the same videos I have of people having meltdowns about being asked to wear a mask inside stores.  No staff person who is probably barely out of high school should be expected to deal with being threatened by some lunatic raving about "their rights".  

The answer would be every little bit helps.  I think the question to ask is what if masks were not mandated. How much worse would things be then?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The answer would be every little bit helps.  I think the question to ask is what if masks were not mandated. How much worse would things be then?

I can get behind this line of thinking for sure, I just don’t think a mask mandate would be some foolproof solution to stop the current and increasing spread. If it helps even 5-10% and saves a couple lives then it’s well worth it IMO. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can get behind this line of thinking for sure, I just don’t think a mask mandate would be some foolproof solution to stop the current and increasing spread. If it helps even 5-10% and saves a couple lives then it’s well worth it IMO. 

I think this is a point that the anti-mask contingent tends to glom onto.........no one is saying that masks are the be all end all to stopping transmission, but it's certainly an important tool in the effort to bring it under some kind of control, especially combined with other measures of prevention.  

I agree, anything that helps slow the the transmission should be used

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think this is a point that the anti-mask contingent tends to glom onto.........no one is saying that masks are the be all end all to stopping transmission, but it's certainly an important tool in the effort to bring it under some kind of control, especially combined with other measures of prevention.  

I agree, anything that helps slow the the transmission should be used

Simply put: perfection is the enemy of good. Just because a solution isn't perfect doesn't mean you shouldn't follow it if it's still good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

717 cases today and 11 deaths, this is getting unreal!:shock:

Yes, it is like watching a car crash....  and you can't stop the accident from occuring...

And our  ANTI SCIENCE government HAS NOT made seatbelts   ( MASKS ) mandatory. to help better protect our citizens .....

Here is a list of countrys that have Mandatory masks.

https://masks4all.co/what-countries-require-masks-in-public/

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, skategal said:

One of the challenges of trying to find ways to fight this virus is that there is no government on earth that can regulate stupidity and selfishness.  Mandated masks don't help in all situations, and in particular in the Fraser Valley right now.  For example:

42 people infected because some stupid selfish idiots thought it was a good idea to go get a workout in after having had a COVID test and being told to self isolate until the results came back.  So, being asked to stay away from people for 48 - 72 hours was too much of a burden?  

A Mom in Abbotsford now in hospital just coming off a ventilator because she ignored public safety recommendations and had some people over to the house to have a birthday celebration.  One of the people who came was sick but still thought it was ok to go out to an indoor group.  So 2 idiots who ignored public health recommendations.  

All the mandatory mask regulations in the world will do nothing in situations like this.  People need to get their head out of their butt and start recognizing that their individual actions are creating the problems and making other people sick.  I am so sick of the selfishness.  

We've been in this mess now for 9 months, there isn't a person on earth who doesn't know what we are all expected to do.  Why in hell do we need the government to regulate it.  Other places that have mandatory masks are having no better results than we are.  Calgary and Edmonton come to mind.  Yeh, AB is really doing well.  

il_794xN.2322057587_sve9.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

46 minutes ago, wloutet said:

How far down do little old (73), slightly plump (heavy boned!), stay at home guys get the vaccine?

I have type II diabetes, high blood pressure and had a stoke. Even then I'm figuring it would be a while before I'd get the vaccine. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 hours ago, stawns said:

it's going to be a lot more painful when this is completely out of control and she's out of work

she already was during the 1st wave until the new rules cane into effect. 

What she's decided to do is simply not leave the plexiglass area at the register. If someone without a mask asks her for help she just answers them from there, which seems to get the message through. So far she hasn't had anyone get in her face, but it doesn't make me worry less. People are assholes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2