The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

17 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

this was taken from the back to school plan.

What has B.C. learned from the reopening of schools in other places?

Due to widespread, worldwide school closures, there are few studies on the effects of COVID-19 transmission in school settings.

In places that have resumed in-class instruction, children do not appear to be the primary spreaders of COVID-19

In schools where there were confirmed cases, there was typically minimal spreading beyond the initial case. 

Studies have shown that closing schools and child care facilities has significant negative mental health and socioeconomic impacts on vulnerable children.

this statement shows that BC Schools are going against the grain by keeping schools open. the second sentence is BS. the third sentence can be thrown out now that its been shown its nearly impossible to track cases. the fourth sentence is true, but at the cost of putting families, school staff into harms way.

DrH Is still preaching children are not primary spreaders, this is true but will change quickly. it seems pretty obvious that there is outside influence, who want to keep schools open. my best guess is that provincial and federal government understand how if schools close, they will be the one covering the bill, and are avoiding/delaying that at all costs.

Yeah I'm not buying her BS anymore, esp. with the bolded portions.  As a "doctor", she should know better than to quote from a small sample size of a few studies as evidence, esp. when the final result is inconclusive (and thus she shouldn't be able to say that there's typically minimal spreading as she doesn't know -- "do not appear" and "typically" should not be included in scientific research results). 

Second, even if teachers are the primary spreaders like Horgan is insinuating, is the fact that they face 30+ students a day not a potential powder keg waiting to blow?  Even if one child becomes a secondary spreader, a spreader is still a spreader, esp. given how she's not enforcing masks in school (which is also contradictory to other HealthBC materials (e.g. advocating distance + hand washing + masks as multi-layer defense)).  

I hope she and these outside forces lose sleep at night and have to see a child in their life have to go through it themselves, so that they'd see the severity of the illness and they'd have the appalled Benning meme look.  Then maybe they'll come to her senses and do the right thing because sometimes it takes personal experience for folk with motives to wake up and realize what's truly important.      

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Picking kids up from school is not considered a social gathering.

It's a compromise.  They seem to be trying to stop just short of a full-blown shutdown.  So hopefully people will start using a little common sense and we can re-flatten this curve.

People use common sense? Hahaha

Our society has laws that tell us not to kill other people. It's a crazy world.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Apparently the masks policy does NOT apply to schools.   I am completely dumbfounded by this "exception". 

i am just happy my grandkids are being home schooled

Edited by bree2
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i am just happy my grandkids are being home schooled

I feel pretty ticked, as someone who works in a school and wears a mask and shield daily...only to have colleagues who don't.  I was really hoping they'd have to.

I guess it's all about $$ because the Gov't would likely have to spring for supplies.   I just can't understand any other reasoning.

Even IF/though kids aren't transmitting (much)....the teachers and other staff can (and will).  Seems really unfair that some of us don't get protected...I'm starting to sound like KOS, but I understand his frustration over the school stuff.  

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

As someone who goes to the gym 4-5 days/week I agree.

Sadly though, haven't many gyms been directly linked to significantly large exposures/transmissions? 

Not sure man, hoping these new restrictions with the mandated masks will prevent any further closures .

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel pretty ticked, as someone who works in a school and wears a mask and shield daily...only to have colleagues who don't.  I was really hoping they'd have to.

I guess it's all about $$ because the Gov't would likely have to spring for supplies.   I just can't understand any other reasoning.

Even IF/though kids aren't transmitting (much)....the teachers and other staff can (and will).  Seems really unfair that some of us don't get protected...I'm starting to sound like KOS, but I understand his frustration over the school stuff.  

Yeah the not mandatory in schools is bizarre. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Since KOS posts usually trigger me, I think its in both our best interests that I have him on ignore.  That way I don't get irritated by his position, and he doesn't then get irritated by mine.  He has enough other people that he is battling with on these boards.  

He has a bi weekly confuse face temper tantrum where he stalks my profile and confuse faces all my posts even ones that have nothing to do with his argument or topic. :lol::emot-parrot:

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Wat 1

40 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Apparently the masks policy does NOT apply to schools.   I am completely dumbfounded by this "exception". 

Teachers are mostly taking that on themselves.  All classes who come into my library have to wear masks, all the way down to kindergarten.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I'm not buying her BS anymore, esp. with the bolded portions.  As a "doctor", she should know better than to quote from a small sample size of a few studies as evidence, esp. when the final result is inconclusive (and thus she shouldn't be able to say that there's typically minimal spreading as she doesn't know -- "do not appear" and "typically" should not be included in scientific research results). 

Second, even if teachers are the primary spreaders like Horgan is insinuating, is the fact that they face 30+ students a day not a potential powder keg waiting to blow?  Even if one child becomes a secondary spreader, a spreader is still a spreader, esp. given how she's not enforcing masks in school (which is also contradictory to other HealthBC materials (e.g. advocating distance + hand washing + masks as multi-layer defense)).  

I hope she and these outside forces lose sleep at night and have to see a child in their life have to go through it themselves, so that they'd see the severity of the illness and they'd have the appalled Benning meme look.  Then maybe they'll come to her senses and do the right thing because sometimes it takes personal experience for folk with motives to wake up and realize what's truly important.      

It basically comes down to tax paid childcare. Once you take that away it's an economic nightmare. Dr Bonnie is just doing her job and relaying the plan with a positive spin as possible. They are trying to avoid it all costs but unfortunately it appears that a shutdown may be required country wide pretty soon if things don't turn around.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You literally cannot be made happy.

If you CAN whine about it, you've proven you WILL whine about it

Masks must be mandatory.  OK, masks now mandated. 

I want something else now

Come on man, just take a day off

I really don't give at rats a.... about what you think.    You are the guy that lies about his Alberta gas receipts... I am still laughing my a off..  about it when you got called out here on the forum.. Too funny.  Most posters would have disappeared after that.. you stuck it out.

I give you credit. You are no quitter. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

45 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr B always seems to be about 3 months behind where she needs to be in terms of covid protocol in BC ...

Playing catchup with a pandemic virus makes no sense.  We should be erring on the side of caution and trying to get ahead of this virus.

Instead with Dr. B and Horgan we fall further and further behind - trying to play catch up. 

Lets put it in hockey terms.     We are playing the Washington capitals in a 1 game series...   We ( BC ) are currently giving the other team a 7 goal lead .... and then trying to catch up / get back in the game.   Not a SMART approach by Dr. B and Horgan. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

My challenge is when someone is on my ignore list (all 2 people) and someone keeps quoting them so I end up seeing their posts anyway.  

I ignored your posts long ago..  not sure why my ignore is not working tonight.... 

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It basically comes down to tax paid childcare. Once you take that away it's an economic nightmare. Dr Bonnie is just doing her job and relaying the plan with a positive spin as possible. They are trying to avoid it all costs but unfortunately it appears that a shutdown may be required country wide pretty soon if things don't turn around.

On the plus side, first time in a week the numbers went down. Now if we can get them down below triple digits, or better. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Deb, wondering about whether because you are admin staff working in an office would you not fall under the WorkSafe rules rather than the school rules?  I work in a gym, and as long as I'm behind the plexi at the desk I don't have to wear a mask.  However, if one of my colleagues joins me at the desk, we both have to put on masks.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

On the plus side, first time in a week the numbers went down. Now if we can get them down below triple digits, or better. 

Absolutely. I wouldn't mind a shutdown myself. As long as it's mandatory adults aren't threatened with losing their place to others (as much), and children aren't losing ground on others academically in a scholastic sense (to an extent).

• Cheers 2