The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They should have listened to the teachers when they made the plan, but they didn't.  It's being held together by a hair right now and we're only in November.

So, I do not disagree with your statement

But I seriously think they are talking to the Teachers FED

Now, I question whether the high up in the Teachers Fed are telling the teachers everything...I think somethings are done behind the scenes

There is politics everywhere, at every level

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How do you know that ?   Why do you think covid numbers in BC took a major spike in early September.... ???

Because people outside of school aren’t doing their part. They’re bringing the infection into schools. The schools aren’t the problem. It’s the bloody parents and their households outside of school that are. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

So, I do not disagree with your statement

But I seriously think they are talking to the Teachers FED

Now, I question whether the high up in the Teachers Fed are telling the teachers everything...I think somethings are done behind the scenes

There is politics everywhere, at every level

They're not, we weren't even consulted when they drafted the original plan.  The BCTF has pushing hard for mandatory masks for all students for a few weeks now and we get bupkus when new measures are taken.

Just now, stawns said:

They're not, we weren't even consulted when they drafted the original plan.  The BCTF has pushing hard for mandatory masks for all students for a few weeks now and we get bupkus when new measures are taken.

You would know better than I, but I would bet a dollar, someone somewhere had a discussion, that you and I do not know about.

Are you on the Executive?

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You would know better than I, but I would bet a dollar, someone somewhere had a discussion, that you and I do not know about.

Are you on the Executive?

No, but I have friends who are.  This isn't a bargaining session, this is a public plea for action to protect staff and students in schools.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No, but I have friends who are.  This isn't a bargaining session, this is a public plea for action to protect staff and students in schools.  

Like I say, you would know better than I.....

I just get whats on the news

I worry about you and my other friends who are teachers, EA's, and staff

It is a worry of mine

I think KOS is on your side on this one! LOL

This friggin Covid thing reaches everywhere..............it truly is our WW2

Most of us have never experienced anything like this

Just some of our older Posters parents.........

I think my mom was 3 in the Great Depression and 13ish in WW2

Just got to keep eveyone alive until these vaccines are available........

I keep on saying "JUST 3 MORE MONTHS!"........I hope!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

With 2 kids under 3.... both have gone out and played/socialized way less than they would have without coronavirus.  

I still send my son to preschool and he has improved developmentally way more than if he didn't go.  

I hear lots of parents not sending their kids to school/preschool/daycare or even just playdates.  It's pretty much a fact that kids learn better with peers, especially so for younger ages.  I wonder what impact the CCP-virus will have on the youngest kids going forward.  1 to 2 years of potentially more limited growth.... how will these children score in 5-10-15 years time?

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

@stawns

Just to clarify why I think that.......

I have Negotiated many Union contracts as a shop steward, and I have been sworn to secrecy on some discussions........

Its dirty work,. sometimes

That's a greasy way to go through life

54 minutes ago, Violator said:

That's a greasy way to go through life

I don't know..........

I have always trusted my leaders to do the very best for us

Sometimes one side wants to talk to the other side off the record

And a one on one allows for that

In the end, if you do not trust your rep, then you have bigger problems

Usually, from my experiences, the rep thinks about it and softens the convo

Sometimes, it is better that way

Again, if you don't trust your rep, well then I guess you should not let him/her go

I certainly do not think it is greasy at all

Sometimes it is the only way a honest conversation can happen

Negotiations, are just that.............they are not fun, despite what people might think

One of mu bosses could not talk to me for about a week after, I spoke and won my point

But I have been on the other side too and been very upset.......

You just can't go and spill you guts to your membership

But you are obligated to negotiate in good faith, and do the best for them

In the end, they get to vote on the agreement......your job is to explain it before they vote

LOL, I have actually, negotiated myself no raise, once......and everyone else got one

It hurt, and I was pi$$ed, but that is life, and I got over it!

I don’t think there’s enough appreciation/sinking in of the fact that almost no one on this planet has ever lived through what we are experiencing right now. And those few that have were very very young at the time in a completely different local society vs the global one we live in today. We rely on experts with experience from past similar situations to know what to do and what not to do, to guide us through crises, but there are none here to rely upon.

We are all flying completely blind here, the political leaders, businesses, experts and the people. You can only expect so much from everyone in these trying and uncertain circumstances. Our leaders (of all political ideologies) across BC and the country at least took this seriously as a problem needing attention to prevent as many deaths as possible. Their actions have been flawed at times, there’s no denying that and I don’t agree with every decision made, but we’ve saved lives by what we’ve done so far. We should be proud of that even though 1 lost life is still a tragedy worth mourning over.

I think a big part of the blame for why these decisions even have to be made at this point rest in us as the population though. Not wearing masks when out, not social distancing, still going to parties and eating out, a basic lack of concern of what their actions could mean for anyone’s wellbeing, but themselves (and this spans all generations). Politicians can only do so much when the population doesn’t follow the guidelines put out by them to keep people safe. Which is again though hard to expect more out of people used to leaving their houses and interacting with dozens, hundreds or more, other people daily by everyone under about 108 years old for the last century of life on Earth.

As for the school topic, I personally would prefer them being shut down, I think Horgan is wrong on this (and I voted his party), but that would severely impact a large number of families that rely on them being open for economic survival. Businesses have closed and will close. Jobs have been lost and will be lost. Lives have been lost and will be lost. There’s going to be a lot of pain inflicted on a large number of people regardless of the decisions made. Like @janisahockeynut so eloquently said, there’s no easy answers here and for a species that likes to know right from wrong that drives us crazy.

My personal belief is to put lives over the economy every time, but I realize in society today that’s not realistic without a universal basic income because you have to pay to live a life.

This situation is not going to be measured in months, it will likely be in years. In that time (and I still don’t think we’re getting back to pre-covid normal, but that’s a different topic) we will all make mistakes, lives that could have been saved will be lost, lives that could have been lost will be saved and most of us will try to do the best we can to protect life and still live the only life we’re given. That’s about all we can expect out of people. We are fallible creatures, all of us and I’m just grateful for how many people will now have a chance to live their lives from society’s collective response/actions to this health epidemic.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

As for the school topic, I personally would prefer them being shut down, I think Horgan is wrong on this (and I voted his party), but that would severely impact a large number of families that rely on them being open for economic survival. Businesses have closed and will close. Jobs have been lost and will be lost. Lives have been lost and will be lost. There’s going to be a lot of pain inflicted on a large number of people regardless of the decisions made. Like @janisahockeynut so eloquently said, there’s no easy answers here and for a species that likes to know right from wrong that drives us crazy.

My personal belief is to put lives over the economy every time, but I realize in society today that’s not realistic without a universal basic income because you have to pay to live a life.

Some very good points made, thank you.

In schools, at the very least staff should be treated like everyone else in the workforce...and, for some reason, that isn't happening.  I heard on the news the BCTF is going to the labour board...rightfully so.  They're also recommending that teachers set an example and wear masks in class.  But it would be nice if they didn't have to ask and hope for compliance and it would just be a requirement.  So everyone could be on the same page and ... safe.  Closures is the last resort but mandatory masks could be a step in preventing that.  I think cost is the driving force behind the decision, as PPE being available to workers could be a thing.  Like you, I believe money should never come before lives.  Make it so everyone brings their own if necessary.  Have a corporation put their logo on them for free advertising and donate them as promotional items.   Have home ec classes sew masks.  Get creative.

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think we need to face it... Schools are being sacrificed for the greater good of the economy.  They want to make sure the parents can goto work and keep the economy going.  They are simply playing the odds that children seem to be able to overcome this virus better than adults.  Unfortunately, I think the biggest sacrifice are the teachers and other staff in the schools... 

Actually they are being sacrificed because taxpayers won't want to pay for an increase. Municipalities are increasing property taxes. Vancouver is looking at tolls. 

With the economy in a downturn from covid to you think the feds and the provinces want to put in an income tax increase at this time? That's political suicide. 

Sadly they are crunching the numbers and finding children on the whole are less likely to be getting covid. So they are taking the lesser of two evils. 

I'm not saying it's correct. Maybe they should be pulling funds from foreign aid, or any non essential spending and putting it into protecting schools.

I've stated before a rotational basis on schools would be a good start. Maybe take the substitute teachers and assign them to online classrooms? 

Everyone wants the social net, medical coverage, police, fire, infrastructure and education. But there's a finite amount of money around. 

What I find is interesting in Sweden which has 1/3rd our population seems to have the balance right. They even get free post secondary education. 

If I could get free university I'd work part time, then get a degree instead of my college education I'd be happy with paying more in taxes. 

I had to turn Dr B off yesterday.

The strategy regarding schools is weak.

She was saying that schools have good measures in place. 

My sister is a district superintendent at the school board, my wife works in distributed learning admin.

From the info I receive, I do not agree that the schools universally have strong measures in place.

At. All.

The kids will increasingly spread this pandemic around and keep bringing it home.

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I had to turn Dr B off yesterday.

The strategy regarding schools is weak.

She was saying that schools have good measures in place. 

My sister is a district superintendent at the school board, my wife works in distributed learning admin.

From the info I receive, I do not agree that the schools universally have strong measures in place.

At. All.

The kids will increasingly spread this pandemic around and keep bringing it home.

is that whats actually happening, or what people worry will happen? 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Like I say, you would know better than I.....

I just get whats on the news

I worry about you and my other friends who are teachers, EA's, and staff

It is a worry of mine

I think KOS is on your side on this one! LOL

This friggin Covid thing reaches everywhere..............it truly is our WW2

Most of us have never experienced anything like this

Just some of our older Posters parents.........

I think my mom was 3 in the Great Depression and 13ish in WW2

Just got to keep eveyone alive until these vaccines are available........

I keep on saying "JUST 3 MORE MONTHS!"........I hope!

It's easier to get people to fall in line. When bombs are falling on your heads. Sad but true.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Because people outside of school aren’t doing their part. They’re bringing the infection into schools. The schools aren’t the problem. It’s the bloody parents and their households outside of school that are. 

the rise in cases in Fraser Health have nothing to do with schools. Its selfish people doing things they know they shouldn't be. 

Does anyone have the actual number of known infections from school exposures? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1