The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

@trek posted this a few pages back. I found it interesting but can't speak to the validity of the source.

Look at the 10-19 age group...

this is kind of part of the problem imo. When you look at the number of cases directly, not the % increases, its clear that most of the U19 infections are happening in the valley. There's a big difference between Fraser and Island Health e.g., on the percentage of kids getting sick.

So something else is going on here not related to schools. Its not clear to me how much is school related and home related. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is kind of part of the problem imo. When you look at the number of cases directly, not the % increases, its clear that most of the U19 infections are happening in the valley. There's a big difference between Fraser and Island Health e.g., on the percentage of kids getting sick.

So something else is going on here not related to schools. Its not clear to me how much is school related and home related. 

Sure, and I'm not much of a stats guy.

We have seen some increases here mid island in the last couple weeks. Quite a few schools with exposures. My wife comes home daily with stories about a new teacher or admin that have to isolate.

Wouldn't be surprised to see our Island numbers change rapidly. 

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Like I say, you would know better than I.....

I just get whats on the news

I worry about you and my other friends who are teachers, EA's, and staff

It is a worry of mine

I think KOS is on your side on this one! LOL

This friggin Covid thing reaches everywhere..............it truly is our WW2

Most of us have never experienced anything like this

Just some of our older Posters parents.........

I think my mom was 3 in the Great Depression and 13ish in WW2

Just got to keep eveyone alive until these vaccines are available........

I keep on saying "JUST 3 MORE MONTHS!"........I hope!

Imagine telling a WW2 vet that staying home and wearing a mask is equivalent to fighting the Nazi on the beaches of Normandy. Lol

Saw Bill Gates on CNN last night saying that we need to get through another 6-8 months before things will be back to semi normal.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that whats actually happening, or what people worry will happen? 

Depends.

If we look at some cases like that dance class in Chilliwack (I think).  Several kids got it.  But those kids hung out socially outside of that dance class.  Was it spead at the dance or somewhere else?  Or did they get it from their parents (in their social bubble)?  So many unknowns.

Some local cases (2nd hand info), the kids got it from their parents and not from the school. 

In any case, I think masks should be mandatory in schools (for teachers, staff, and students).

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the rise in cases in Fraser Health have nothing to do with schools. Its selfish people doing things they know they shouldn't be. 

Does anyone have the actual number of known infections from school exposures? 

but those selfish people are sending their kids to school where I spend 6 hrs of my day with them, every day.  Though I have concern for my own health, my bigger concern is for the people I care about.........the majority of teachers have elderly family members in their bubble or are directly taking care of aging/sick parents.......that's my biggest concern.  My other big concern is we are putting all these kids into packed classrooms, mixing their germs together and then sending them home.........we honestly don't know how much schools are spreading it because very few kids are getting tested.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure, and I'm not much of a stats guy.

We have seen some increases here mid island in the last couple weeks. Quite a few schools with exposures. My wife comes home daily with stories about a new teacher or admin that have to isolate.

Wouldn't be surprised to see our Island numbers change rapidly. 

Does your wife say the same about students?

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the rise in cases in Fraser Health have nothing to do with schools. Its selfish people doing things they know they shouldn't be. 

I suspect it’s dwarfed by the transmission outside of school. Again, schools are not the place where one is likely to be infected, in spite of all the hype. 

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Does your wife say the same about students?

There was a few cases of kids in Nanaimo. Apparently they played a Volley ball game with some students in Parksville causing some kids in that city to have to isolate.

I believe 4 schools in a week had exposures in the mid Island. 

21 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Imagine telling a WW2 vet that staying home and wearing a mask is equivalent to fighting the Nazi on the beaches of Normandy. Lol

Saw Bill Gates on CNN last night saying that we need to get through another 6-8 months before things will be back to semi normal.

It's not even close to WW2.

It's serious but I have to stay home and watch Netflix instead of being drafted?

Get real.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's not even close to WW2.

It's serious but I have to stay home and watch Netflix instead of being drafted?

Get real.

We are so insular now.  

While I have a real issue with the description of "the greatest generation" because of the end results of their stewardship of the planet, the degree of sacrifice that many of them gave up because of WW2 is so exponentially more than asking some snowflake to wear a mask.  The degree of wining is certainly much higher now.

Different time though from a information standpoint though.  News was much more middle of the road and no social media so people got a much more consistent message.

Of note, and not to minimize COVID in any way, the global death toll from WW2 including a lot of the subsequent illnesses is around 80 million people.  COVID has killed around 1.3 million so far.

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

but those selfish people are sending their kids to school where I spend 6 hrs of my day with them, every day.  Though I have concern for my own health, my bigger concern is for the people I care about.........the majority of teachers have elderly family members in their bubble or are directly taking care of aging/sick parents.......that's my biggest concern.  My other big concern is we are putting all these kids into packed classrooms, mixing their germs together and then sending them home.........we honestly don't know how much schools are spreading it because very few kids are getting tested.

I was an EA in the local district for 6 years, kinda glad I walked away from it.  My kids are in school and it's making me paranoid enough.

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

but don't we know from contact tracing that schools aren't the problem, at least not yet? 

19 minutes ago, FilthyRich said:

I was an EA in the local district for 6 years, kinda glad I walked away from it.  My kids are in school and it's making me paranoid enough.

I understand the need to have kids in school and that if I'm getting paid, I should be working.  There were far smarter ways to roll this out

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I suspect it’s dwarfed by the transmission outside of school. Again, schools are not the place where one is likely to be infected, in spite of all the hype. 

thats really what I'd like to find out.... from what I've read, and I could be wrong, it seems like we know schools aren't the major issue so far. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but don't we know from contact tracing that schools aren't the problem, at least not yet? 

my understanding is, in Fraser Health and Coastal Health, that contact tracing has been, basically, abandoned hasn't it?

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats good too. I'm just wondering if anyone has the hard numbers on infections due to school exposures

This is one of the root causes jimmy, imo, of much of the anxiety/discontent with the government and the individual health authorities in that Dr. B has directed the health authorities NOT to disclose this information and they've used 'privacy' repeatedly as the explanation.  

Ask anyone directly connected to schools (parents, students, teachers, ect....) they will all tell you the exact same thing - the Health Authorities are NOT being forthright with the exposure numbers - that data/information is being kept very, very secretive.  This leads to a LOT of mistrust of the authorities and exacerbates peoples anxiety over fear of the unknown imo. 

40 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There was a few cases of kids in Nanaimo. Apparently they played a Volley ball game with some students in Parksville causing some kids in that city to have to isolate.

I believe 4 schools in a week had exposures in the mid Island. 

So it sounds like the students are getting it from the community and not transmitting it inside the schools.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

my understanding is, in Fraser Health and Coastal Health, that contact tracing has been, basically, abandoned hasn't it?

I haven't heard that.... geez i hope thats not true.

Just now, Fanuck said:

This is one of the root causes jimmy, imo, of much of the anxiety/discontent with the government and the individual health authorities in that Dr. B has directed the health authorities NOT to disclose this information and they've used 'privacy' repeatedly as the explanation.  

Ask anyone directly connected to schools (parents, students, teachers, ect....) they will all tell you the exact same thing - the Health Authorities are NOT being forthright with the exposure numbers - that data/information is being kept very, very secretive.  This leads to a LOT of mistrust of the authorities and exacerbates peoples anxiety over fear of the unknown imo. 

I thought we knew the numbers, we just can't identify the individuals which is what people seem to be upset about. Like it or not, people do have privacy rights.