The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think we could be this Spring 2021...but there will be fall out till 2022 and obviously economic fall out for years.

For the general public, I agree. The vaccine will most likely be available in the spring of next year. 

Those others I mentioned though will get it this winter, into March. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not all will. The vaccine will get rolled out to first responders, health care workers, the elderly/long term care residents, front line essential workers pretty quick as soon as Health Canada follows suit with the US in using emergency approval and acquisition. 

We’re so much better prepared in rolling out the delivery of the vaccine than the US.

I suspect Canada will have a much better time in getting the virus under control through vaccination and quicker, than the US. 

I wonder if they are going to force health care workers to take the vaccine right away...they are in a union so they should be protected if they choose to wait a bit. Personally, my girlfriend is a RN and she in no way wants to be a guinea pig for the 1st batch of vaccine

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I wonder if they are going to force health care workers to take the vaccine right away...they are in a union so they should be protected if they choose to wait a bit. Personally, my girlfriend is a RN and she in no way wants to be a guinea pig for the 1st batch of vaccine

I don’t think it’s going to be a matter of forcing. Health care workers are overwhelming going to want the vaccine. 

It’s not a guinea pig situation. The vaccine has gone through all the normal vaccine trials, which is why it took so long. 

The vaccine’s data will be audited by Health Canada, and their experts will decide whether or not the steps were taken to ensure the safety of it. Remember, we’re Canadians, and we can trust the vaccine authentication process because it’s a process that has been used for decades. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Another mystery is whether the vaccines can actually stop the spread of COVID-19. Since the coronavirus can be transmitted by people before they show symptoms of the disease, including those who never show symptoms at all, it will be difficult to learn from clinical trials alone whether the vaccines reduce transmission, or simply turn more people into asymptomatic spreaders. The upshot is that until more is known, masks and physical distancing are likely to remain recommended precautions.

Finally, public-health agencies have no way to know yet how long a vaccine will confer immunity to COVID-19. “It’s early days, but I’m optimistic,” said Tal Zaks, chief medical officer for Moderna. “Immunity should hold for many months … but we will continue to follow [clinical trial] participants for two years and monitor the degree to which they’re protected.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-whose-covid-19-vaccines-are-coming-to-canada-and-when-how-well-do/

here's an interesting Slow-Mo Guys episode, shows the efficiency in mask wearing, and the disgusting amount of particles that come out of our mouths even while speaking.  Guest starring Fauci himself.

Edited by FilthyRich

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Another mystery is whether the vaccines can actually stop the spread of COVID-19. Since the coronavirus can be transmitted by people before they show symptoms of the disease, including those who never show symptoms at all, it will be difficult to learn from clinical trials alone whether the vaccines reduce transmission, or simply turn more people into asymptomatic spreaders. The upshot is that until more is known, masks and physical distancing are likely to remain recommended precautions.

Finally, public-health agencies have no way to know yet how long a vaccine will confer immunity to COVID-19. “It’s early days, but I’m optimistic,” said Tal Zaks, chief medical officer for Moderna. “Immunity should hold for many months … but we will continue to follow [clinical trial] participants for two years and monitor the degree to which they’re protected.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-whose-covid-19-vaccines-are-coming-to-canada-and-when-how-well-do/

I suspect booster shots will be required just like they are for many viruses. 

Getting a first round of vaccination however will obviously lessen the impact of community spread. That’s a no brainer. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Looks like that BC Ferries sign is going a little viral

The one positive, at least teenagers will have a hard time trying to deface it.

How did BC Ferries approve this? Shirley someone must have said something to someone. 

It’s a dick in the ear ffs! 

• Cheers 1

One of the things I'm grappling with right now is the structure of exposure.

Let's take my son for example - he has his classmates and his cohort group, but in hockey he has his cohort group and from the tracing we've done we're looking at the 15 kids attending 7 different schools in 9 or different cohort groups.

To expand in that, his hockey cohort group is 3 teams because BCHL just shut down all gameplay, which is fine, at least the kids get to practice BUT they have shared practice and a cohort or 3 teams.

So if my kid's school cohort is 60 kids

And we have kids from 7 different cohort school groups on his team - that's an actual cohort of 420 kids.. and that's just ignoring the distinct reality that a couple of his school buds are in different hockey cohort groups.

So let's assume they're also on team with kids from another 7 cohort groups..

Now include all the kids on the other 2 teams my son is in a hockey cohort group.

I'm not a math wiz, but by my count he's looking at expose to 1600 kids between hockey and school. That doesn't even account for his school cohorts who play soccer or other sports and have the same exposure factors.

And I haven't even touched in my Daughters sports. &^@#ed eh?!

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yikes, USA hit the 200K mark for new cases in a single day.

The US doesn't have the sort of empathy for your fellow neighbors built in to their social structure like a lot of other societies.

Too much greed and selfishness to get their populace to buy in to keeping themselves safe. Plus a high degree of facts and science deniers. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

How did BC Ferries approve this? Shirley someone must have said something to someone. 

It’s a dick in the ear ffs! 

Two things ...

1.  People are that stupid that no one could see it through the entire creative process or quality assurance process. Think about it ... not one person in all of BC Ferries noticed yet it only took one second for the public to notice.

2. It was calculated and done on purpose. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Two things ...

1.  People are that stupid that no one could see it through the entire creative process or quality assurance process. Think about it ... not one person in all of BC Ferries noticed yet it only took one second for the public to notice.

2. It was calculated and done on purpose. 

Option #3: people saw it in the board room but were too afraid of being unprofessional. So they elected not to point out that there appeared to be a medium sized penis on the side of the face.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

One of the things I'm grappling with right now is the structure of exposure.

Let's take my son for example - he has his classmates and his cohort group, but in hockey he has his cohort group and from the tracing we've done we're looking at the 15 kids attending 7 different schools in 9 or different cohort groups.

To expand in that, his hockey cohort group is 3 teams because BCHL just shut down all gameplay, which is fine, at least the kids get to practice BUT they have shared practice and a cohort or 3 teams.

So if my kid's school cohort is 60 kids

And we have kids from 7 different cohort school groups on his team - that's an actual cohort of 420 kids.. and that's just ignoring the distinct reality that a couple of his school buds are in different hockey cohort groups.

So let's assume they're also on team with kids from another 7 cohort groups..

Now include all the kids on the other 2 teams my son is in a hockey cohort group.

I'm not a math wiz, but by my count he's looking at expose to 1600 kids between hockey and school. That doesn't even account for his school cohorts who play soccer or other sports and have the same exposure factors.

And I haven't even touched in my Daughters sports. &^@#ed eh?!

Dr. B's  cohort concept  LOL  

Mask order for kids in #COVID19BC: Mall? Yup. Tims? Indeed. Rec center? For sure. Corner store? Yessir . Library? Yes (shhhh). School? Nah, kids don't transmit. It's all good here
Edited by kingofsurrey

Punta Cana is hot but Chicago is not this Thanksgiving, according to data showing 670,000 travelers still plan to fly out of New York City airports this year despite record levels of COVID-19 cases spreading across the country.

About 275,300 passengers are expected to fly out of JFK, while another 271,700 booked flights out of Newark, and 127,100 travelers are estimated to be flying from LaGuardia, according to airline ticket-sale stats provided to The Post by aviation analytics firm OAG.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/21/over-670k-new-yorkers-flying-for-thanksgiving-despite-covid/

BC covid rules make no sense.....

Live theatres wonder why a play is a social gathering but attending a movie in a cinema isn't

Live theatre directors are scratching their heads, if not pulling out their hair, after the province declared their venues to be social gatherings, but not cinemas showing films.

Social gatherings have been banned in Dr. Bonnie Henry’s latest COVID-19 curbs, announced on Nov. 19. But cinemas showing films are exempt, as are bars and restaurants.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/1121-covid-theatre/wcm/bf0aac55-f2f9-414e-9d49-1eaafd753bb0

• Haha 1