The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t think it’s going to be a matter of forcing. Health care workers are overwhelming going to want the vaccine. 

It’s not a guinea pig situation. The vaccine has gone through all the normal vaccine trials, which is why it took so long. 

The vaccine’s data will be audited by Health Canada, and their experts will decide whether or not the steps were taken to ensure the safety of it. Remember, we’re Canadians, and we can trust the vaccine authentication process because it’s a process that has been used for decades. 

Have they tried this vaccine on pregnant women or know if there is any potential side affects for the baby?

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I suspect booster shots will be required just like they are for many viruses. 

Getting a first round of vaccination however will obviously lessen the impact of community spread. That’s a no brainer. 

I've heard two doses, 28 days apart.  Not sure how reliable the source was (and can't remember where I saw it...but it was recently).

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Have they tried this vaccine on pregnant women or know if there is any potential side affects for the baby?

I would hope the clinical trails would have taken this concern into account.

I wonder which vaccine will be the front runner? Pfizer and Moderna both have successful products. 

I think they both have to be kept super duper cold. That makes me concerned about the logistics of the roll out.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would hope the clinical trails would have taken this concern into account.

I wonder which vaccine will be the front runner? Pfizer and Moderna both have successful products. 

I think they both have to be kept super duper cold. That makes me concerned about the logistics of the roll out.

More money for refrigeration companies and vans/trucks? It can be done. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I haven’t seen the data on who they’ve already tried it on. They say it’s been tested on a wide swath of people of different groups. I’d recommend you talk to a doctor once it’s available in Canada. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've heard two doses, 28 days apart.  Not sure how reliable the source was (and can't remember where I saw it...but it was recently).

I did as well. I believe it was when Pfizer initially came out with their vaccine announcement. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

One of the things I'm grappling with right now is the structure of exposure.

Let's take my son for example - he has his classmates and his cohort group, but in hockey he has his cohort group and from the tracing we've done we're looking at the 15 kids attending 7 different schools in 9 or different cohort groups.

To expand in that, his hockey cohort group is 3 teams because BCHL just shut down all gameplay, which is fine, at least the kids get to practice BUT they have shared practice and a cohort or 3 teams.

So if my kid's school cohort is 60 kids

And we have kids from 7 different cohort school groups on his team - that's an actual cohort of 420 kids.. and that's just ignoring the distinct reality that a couple of his school buds are in different hockey cohort groups.

So let's assume they're also on team with kids from another 7 cohort groups..

Now include all the kids on the other 2 teams my son is in a hockey cohort group.

I'm not a math wiz, but by my count he's looking at expose to 1600 kids between hockey and school. That doesn't even account for his school cohorts who play soccer or other sports and have the same exposure factors.

And I haven't even touched in my Daughters sports. &^@#ed eh?!

Yea in my experience for the most part bubbles are fictitious ways to justify socialization or a lack of physical distancing.

It's an honest start but the math is crazy. Exponential.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC covid rules make no sense.....

Live theatres wonder why a play is a social gathering but attending a movie in a cinema isn't

Live theatre directors are scratching their heads, if not pulling out their hair, after the province declared their venues to be social gatherings, but not cinemas showing films.

Social gatherings have been banned in Dr. Bonnie Henry’s latest COVID-19 curbs, announced on Nov. 19. But cinemas showing films are exempt, as are bars and restaurants.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/1121-covid-theatre/wcm/bf0aac55-f2f9-414e-9d49-1eaafd753bb0

Guess anything goes when you're the one setting the rules... or she's a movie fan :rolleyes:
If social gatherings are banned we'd better see hall monitors breaking up groups of kids... oh wait schools and students can do what they want apparently
#self-contradiction

I'm just glad we're not at where Toronto is at, going into lockdown on Monday (though we're not far off)

Edited by Phil_314

@luckylager

I totally get you are wrestling with all this......especially because you have kids

I am 63 and on pension, and it is really simple for me.........but that is probably because all my money if pretty much guaranteed every month

So, my perspective is somewhat biased 

If it was up to me, I would lock down the province completely

I remember when the virus first showed up, and the province locked us down. I remember having to go out and there were no cars on the street

maybe you would pass a couple cars on the highway in Nanaimo, but there was not a lot of people moving around

And, IMO, I think we had control over the virus

Today, everyone has either ignored it, don't care about it, or taking "some" precautions when they go out

But the truth is...in my world....we can survive a 3 week lock down, if everyone does it except emergency workers

the Government can pay forward for those that need it.....everybody stock up ,a d hunker down for 3 short weeks

It sounds so easy, doesn't it!

I am only sharing this to let you know.....I think everyone is in some type of mental quandary over this 

I am not saying mine opinion is right, but it is right for me

But as I watch the news, I certainly are supportive of all measures, and would take the more extreme model if offered.

It is only 3 weeks?

"IF" you are a home owner, you can draw cash from your mortgage, if you do not have the cash

The poor are the ones, I worry about it. Those are the ones the Gov. should look after.

It is not the best answer.....but it would control it

• Cheers 1

@luckylager

Hey, as per my thoughts above....I know that will not happen, at least not as this point....and I realize some people would freak

I am just saying what is going through my feeble head

The fines for people not listening would probably pay for the extended costs........I pretty sure there would be alot that would not listen

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@luckylager

Hey, as per my thoughts above....I know that will not happen, at least not as this point....and I realize some people would freak

The fines for people not listening would probably pay for the extended costs........I pretty sure there would be alot that would not listen

Registering the kids in their usual sports/extracurriculars was a bit of a dilemma for sure, but a risk we decided to take to not rob our kids of their childhood, so to speak.

Greater Victoria has had very low COVID numbers and most people seem to be taking appropriate measures to keep our numbers in check and limit risk/exposure.

I'd be ok with a full blown lock down if it allowed for a return to normal life afterwards, but I don't see that happening. Imo lock downs should be on a regional basis based on per capita infection levels, and not on a province wide basis.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is not the best answer.....but it would control it

Would it though.....or would it just delay the inevitable because the root issue, people not making the right choices, still wouldn't be resolved. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@luckylager

And that would be the rub, if a lot didn't listen, a total 3 week lockdown wouldn't be effective enough to snuff out the virus.  It would lessen numbers, for sure, but they'd start to go right back up again once the lock out ended.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@luckylager

@Fanuck

@Wilbur

And what you all say is true, and what I wrestle with

But what is the alternative? Just let it keep climbing? Last as long as we can? Hope for the vaccine to be released sooner?

Hope?

Lock downs on a regional basis will help limit the spread in those hot zones and I figure we'll be going in and out of lock downs until there's a vaccine available.

The long term economic impact of COVID lock downs coupled with the change in people's shopping/consumption habits is a scary forecast for most brick and mortar retail/small businesses.

If there's a lock down during the Christmas shopping season, it's gonna be the death knell to a lot of local economies.

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@luckylager

@Fanuck

@Wilbur

And what you all say is true, and what I wrestle with

But what is the alternative? Just let it keep climbing? Last as long as we can? Hope for the vaccine to be released sooner?

Hope?

I wasn't necessarily trying to advocate for an alternative.  I'm kinda on the same page as you.  If numbers in the hospitals get bad enough we'll have to go to regional lockdowns to get numbers down again.  We just need to buy time until herd immunity is achieved through vaccination.  I pine too, for a society that would have the discipline to lock it down to elimination, but you need 100% buy-in for that we're no where close to that.  It's not even an enforcement issue as the mere fact that you would have to enforcement means you don't have 100% buy-in and would extend the lockdown to eliminate.

• Cheers 2