The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

50 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Lock downs on a regional basis will help limit the spread in those hot zones and I figure we'll be going in and out of lock downs until there's a vaccine available.

The long term economic impact of COVID lock downs coupled with the change in people's shopping/consumption habits is a scary forecast for most brick and mortar retail/small businesses.

If there's a lock down during the Christmas shopping season, it's gonna be the death knell to a lot of local economies.

I just did a bunch of Christmas shopping on Amazon and I hate hate hate that.  Once we're through this I'm not ordering from Amazon for a good long while.  Hopefully others will follow suit and we'll see a rebirth in brick and mortar business.  Help from government will be needed as you know Amazon will do everything in it's power to retain it's market share.

Agreed, scary as hell, but, if there are ashes, hopefully a phoenix can be reborn.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

I honestly can't believe people are calling the government communist because of a pandemic and shutting down churches. Just shows how bad our education system is. 

For the record my dad comes from Czechslovakia and have studied it a decent amount. Absolutely disrespectful 

Who called them that? Where?

Just now, luckylager said:

He lives in Chilliwack. So I can only assume he's hearing it from some wackers.

Lol

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Who called them that? Where?

Social media, and protest videos I saw. 

Also people who said that lived in Okanagan, island, Fraser Valley, prince George and other northern towns. 

1 hour ago, milk and honey said:

Canada has wackjobs in all our cities....

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter

In anticipation of the winter travel season, the federal government has issued an online alert to seniors, advising them to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic. But the message may have little impact on snowbirds who are determined to escape the Canadian winter. 

"I don't like winter. I hate it. I hate it with a passion," said Steve MacDonald, 77, of Oakville, Ont. He has already booked a Dec. 3 flight to Florida for himself and his wife, so they can spend the winter at their rented condo in Key Largo.

"Down there, [I'll] be swimming outside and taking in some sun, getting some vitamin D and cheap rum."He'll be in good company. The Canadian Snowbird Association estimates that around 30 per cent of its more than 110,000 members will head to the United States Sunbelt this winter — despite soaring COVID-19 cases in the country and the Canada-U.S. land border closure to non-essential traffic.

Snowbirds can still fly to the U.S. and ship their cars. But the Canadian government is asking seniors to think twice before leaving the country, because their age makes them more susceptible to falling seriously ill from COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbirds-seniors-travel-advisory-canada-u-s-border-covid-19-1.5799456

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Lol

Social media, and protest videos I saw. 

Also people who said that lived in Okanagan, island, Fraser Valley, prince George and other northern towns. 

Why do you still trust social media? 

It’s a cesspool of misinformation. 

Seriously, have you ever been educated from social media by people who aren’t experts or based their opinions on their own thoughts?? 

FFS, people’s social media accounts are not the place to go to for actual and factual information. 

Stop doing that and don’t listen to them. Hell, don’t listen to most of the people here either unless they link something from a credible source or are trusted posters who have a history of proffering facts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canada has wackjobs in all our cities....

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter

In anticipation of the winter travel season, the federal government has issued an online alert to seniors, advising them to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic. But the message may have little impact on snowbirds who are determined to escape the Canadian winter. 

"I don't like winter. I hate it. I hate it with a passion," said Steve MacDonald, 77, of Oakville, Ont. He has already booked a Dec. 3 flight to Florida for himself and his wife, so they can spend the winter at their rented condo in Key Largo.

"Down there, [I'll] be swimming outside and taking in some sun, getting some vitamin D and cheap rum."He'll be in good company. The Canadian Snowbird Association estimates that around 30 per cent of its more than 110,000 members will head to the United States Sunbelt this winter — despite soaring COVID-19 cases in the country and the Canada-U.S. land border closure to non-essential traffic.

Snowbirds can still fly to the U.S. and ship their cars. But the Canadian government is asking seniors to think twice before leaving the country, because their age makes them more susceptible to falling seriously ill from COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbirds-seniors-travel-advisory-canada-u-s-border-covid-19-1.5799456

You’re the only whack job that I still trust. 

Whackjob nonetheless. :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, yesterday, I went and got a hair cut (It sadly does not take long)

We live in Nanaimo..so not much Covid, but it is here

Anyways......the mandatory face mask rule was in place, so......

you get your hair cut with your mask on.......its actually not that difficult

Anyways a young guy about 25 comes in no mask

The desk person does not ask him to put one on

but he goes out side to wait...

when I am finished, I leave and as I pass him, I tell him he is next

I also say, that old guys are really sensitive about the mask thing

he says he does not need to wear one

I say, well yes you do inside........

He says well what if it causes me a panic attack, or I hyperventilate or something

To which I said, well us old guys need to respect that if true

but that we all need to respect everyone's concerns and issues 

He says yes, goes inside and puts on a mask......

Its a good thing

I am 210 pounds and still hit a golf ball 300 yards

he is 145 pounds

Some day......I will, have to start biting my lips more

Not today!

It is very frustrating that I even have to say something

I'm liking that you are 210 and be was worried about a panick attack lol.

• Haha 1

Sounds like we may have to learn to live with covid virus for quite some time.... Yearly vacinations - do you think ? I wonder if people will be willing. / are smart enough to incorporate this into their yearly routines consistently.. Or will lazy humans can over confident.... / relax  and we/Canada    hit again with it bad. 

•  

What exactly are these vaccines effective at doing?

The clinical trials run by Pfizer and other companies were specifically designed to see whether vaccines protect people from getting sick from Covid-19. If volunteers developed symptoms like a fever or cough, they were then tested for the coronavirus.

•  

But there’s abundant evidence that people can get infected with the coronavirus without ever showing symptoms. And so it’s possible that a number of people who got vaccinated in the clinical trials got infected, too, without ever realizing it. If those cases indeed exist, none of them are reflected in the 95 percent efficacy rate.
  •  
  • People who are asymptomatic can still spread the virus to others. Some studies suggest that they produce fewer viruses, making them less of a threat than infected people who go on to develop symptoms. But if people get vaccinated and then stop wearing masks and taking other safety measures, their chances of spreading the coronavirus to others could increas“You could get this paradoxical situation of things getting worse,” said Dr. Bar-Zeev.

The results, Dr. Paltiel said, were heartbreaking. He and his colleagues found that when it comes to cutting down on infections, hospitalizations and deaths, the deployment mattered just as much as the efficacy. The study left Dr. Paltiel worried that the United States has not done enough to prepare for the massive distribution of the vaccine in the months to come.

“Time is really running out,” he warned. “Infrastructure is going to contribute at least as much, if not more, than the vaccine itself to the success of the program.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/health/covid-vaccine-95-effective.html

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, milk and honey said:

I honestly can't believe people are calling the government communist because of a pandemic and shutting down churches. Just shows how bad our education system is. 

For the record my dad comes from Czechslovakia and have studied it a decent amount. Absolutely disrespectful 

I was on Facebook one of my friends from high school is leaning very far right. And his buddy put up a meme that says Trudeau is a communist.

I responded Trudeau is a lot of things, corrupt (like most politicians of all stripes), possibly inept, Irresponsible. But he's not a communist. 

He's not forcing us to all work for the same wage. He's not dictating which jobs we work, nor assigning us to farms work in a commune. 

I'm not a fan of the PM. I think he's made some very poor decisions. I especially don't like he uses an Order in Council to dictate policy, instead of

being voted on in the house like most important legislation should be. But communist no. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I spend alot of time DT van....   you seem like a. smackjob but  i still trust you too.....

I spend a lot of time DTES for work. Sometimes early a.m., sometimes late-night until the a.m. 

I’ve seen my fair share of the functioning insane, but you sir, are the Mad King, and I bow in front of your insane ‘High’ness. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

Saw the media coverage of crowds at Sky Harbour airport in Phoenix as they travel to wherever for US Thanksgiving.  

A friend of a friend left Edmonton this morning for PV, not planning on returning til April.  

The US is in an amazing pile of hurt that is going to get worse before it gets better.  

Snowbirds....I don't get it.  What happens if you get sick wherever you are?  Not sure what the coverage is for things like COVID.  

• Thanks 1

Lmao

@kingofsurrey you're gonna love this - they've decided to do a "hot lunch" again at my son's middle school. When I was a kid we had hotdog day, which was pretty gnarly in retrospect, but normally schools just do pizza day which the kids all love, but now let me get to the point - my kids school is doing Burger Day. 

Burger Day. Lmao you've gotta be kidding me. Pizza was working fine but now we've got a burger bar middle school during a pandemic. Thought kos would like that.

• Cheers 1