The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Why do you still trust social media? 

It’s a cesspool of misinformation. 

Seriously, have you ever been educated from social media by people who aren’t experts or based their opinions on their own thoughts?? 

FFS, people’s social media accounts are not the place to go to for actual and factual information. 

Stop doing that and don’t listen to them. Hell, don’t listen to most of the people here either unless they link something from a credible source or are trusted posters who have a history of proffering facts. 

I understand what you are saying. I don't go on social media to get informed. Just amazed that people have even suggested this 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And have the skills to determine credible sources from disinformation........skills many people seem to lack.

everyone knows what to do, they now look for any excuse to do what they want. Social media and a peer group gives them that. But they know they're being stupid, its part of the enjoyment for them. 

• Vintage 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:12 PM, Sharpshooter said:

The vaccine has gone through all the normal vaccine trials, which is why it took so long. 

Yes and no is my understanding.

Apparently the manufacturers, by law, are jumping through the required hoops, but at the same time they are unquestionably fast-tracking development and have applied for emergency approval to use the vaccine which isn't, by definition, the normal way in which new vaccines get approved.   

Then theres the aspect that most of these types of vaccines take 2-3 full years of developing and monitoring control groups for negative side effects whereas this new vaccine would potentially be available after less than a year of development/trial.

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2020/11/20/a-long-way-from-lab-bench-to-bedside-virus-experts-urge-covid-19-vaccine-caution/#.X7qRMvd6o0F

I wouldn't say they're exactly following the normal trials if most take 2-3 years and this one would be approved in less than 12 months.

I would be leery of using any vaccine for myself and my family which hadn't been rigorously trialled by the exact same methods of other vaccines which aren't expedited by nature of being under a pandemic and manufacturers seeing massive dollar signs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would be leery of using any vaccine for myself and my family which hadn't been rigorously trialled by the exact same methods of other vaccines which aren't expedited by nature of being under a pandemic and manufacturers seeing massive dollar signs.

This is the worrisome part of that quoted article for me:

Phase 3 trials, which involve large cohorts of up to 40,000 people, typically take two to three years. That's because adverse effects sometimes take a while to appear -- especially if they involve smaller groups within society. 

And they want approval for sale/distribution/public use in what, 10 or 11 months?  

13 hours ago, skategal said:

Saw the media coverage of crowds at Sky Harbour airport in Phoenix as they travel to wherever for US Thanksgiving.  

A friend of a friend left Edmonton this morning for PV, not planning on returning til April.  

The US is in an amazing pile of hurt that is going to get worse before it gets better.  

Snowbirds....I don't get it.  What happens if you get sick wherever you are?  Not sure what the coverage is for things like COVID.  

Well I'll play devils advict.

Edmonton for the winter is a tough go. If you get sick in a foreign country (which I have) the health care is generally good if not better than Canada. It's just a matter of writing a cheque.

And for the rest of us....go ahead snowbird all you want, have a great time! I just wouldn't allow you back in Canada for free health care if you get sick and you'd have to get vaccinated before re-entry.

17 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Well I'll play devils advict.

Edmonton for the winter is a tough go. If you get sick in a foreign country (which I have) the health care is generally good if not better than Canada. It's just a matter of writing a cheque.

And for the rest of us....go ahead snowbird all you want, have a great time! I just wouldn't allow you back in Canada for free health care if you get sick and you'd have to get vaccinated before re-entry.

normally, sure. But not now, when hospitals are literally at over capacity in some places. Just wait, there will be stores about people complaining about having to bear the cost to fly them back to Canada for treatment. Oh and my poor stranded RV. 

51 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Yes and no is my understanding.

Apparently the manufacturers, by law, are jumping through the required hoops, but at the same time they are unquestionably fast-tracking development and have applied for emergency approval to use the vaccine which isn't, by definition, the normal way in which new vaccines get approved.   

Then theres the aspect that most of these types of vaccines take 2-3 full years of developing and monitoring control groups for negative side effects whereas this new vaccine would potentially be available after less than a year of development/trial.

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2020/11/20/a-long-way-from-lab-bench-to-bedside-virus-experts-urge-covid-19-vaccine-caution/#.X7qRMvd6o0F

I wouldn't say they're exactly following the normal trials if most take 2-3 years and this one would be approved in less than 12 months.

I agree that there has been a speeding up of following patients versus the amount of time that was taken to observe them in the ‘before times’. 

However, the standard vaccine regulatory steps are still being met in the science behind the vaccine production. 

So, for most people that should lend some surety that the vaccine is safe. 

There were 200,000 new cases in the US the other day, there’s no way you’re getting front of the line treatment if you’ve travelled there from Canada and get sick, even with a big cheque. Hospitals are already at or near capacity and their leaders are treating this as a partisan issue instead of a health crisis that effects everyone.

You couldn’t pay me enough money to go anywhere in the states, why some people not only are wanting to go, but are willing to actually pay in order to do so is beyond me. There better be a mandate for all who go to be in quarantine when/if they come back for at least two weeks or else we’re going to get massive outbreaks here too and I’m not going to lie, this worries me a lot.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

normally, sure. But not now, when hospitals are literally at over capacity in some places. Just wait, there will be stores about people complaining about having to bear the cost to fly them back to Canada for treatment. Oh and my poor stranded RV. 

Yea I agree you don't get to fly home for free. 

Edited by Chris12345
  • Vintage 1

read up folks. -  FREE. Covid insurance....

Dr. B wants to  lockdown the province while keeping the economy open.....    What a nutty plan....  doomed to fail. 

COVID-19 Insurance provided and administered by Manulife

As part of our effort to help Canadians travel internationally safely and securely, effective September 17, 2020, new bookings with Air Canada originating in Canada include complimentary Manulife COVID-19 emergency medical and quarantine insurance underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (“Manulife”).

This Manulife COVID-19 insurance covers eligible Canadian residents when travelling internationally on a booking made with Air Canada, for travel until April 12, 2021. Manulife coverage will be automatically included if eligible when you purchase your booking. There are no registration forms to complete and premiums are paid for by Air Canada. This even extends to tickets booked with Aeroplan points.

coverage....................................................................................................................  LImit

Medical Coverage after a COVID-19 positive test result in destination Up to $200,000 CDN per insured
Quarantine expenses after a COVID-19 positive test result, denied entry or contact tracing in destination $150/day up to $2100 per person, or $300/day up to $4200 per family (Maximum duration of 14 days)
Emergency Air Transport to return you home Included in $200,000 per insured
Repatriation due to death Up to policy limits as outlined in the certificate of insurance
Level 3 Travel Advisory upgraded to Level 4 Travel Advisory by Canadian Government

Up to a combined $500 per person for: *return airfare* meals and accommodations

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19-insurance.html

Edited by kingofsurrey

UK - 5 days in xmas with relaxed covid regs...

The PM will also outline plans for a tougher three-tiered system for England - to be introduced at the end of the current lockdown on 2 December.

The 10pm closing time for pubs and restaurants could also be relaxed.

Three households could be allowed to meet up "over a number of days, maybe five days", according to the BBC's deputy political editor Vicki Young

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we’ve cancelled christmas dinner and gathering at my brother in laws. so just three of us here for xmas. no biggy.

Yah..  restaurants and bars open -  cheerleading and gymnastics open.... arena open for hockey... cinemas open....  Mall packed yesterday..

But you can NOT  have xmas day with your Brother in law.....   

BC's covid restrictions make zero sense.   That is why everyone tuned out Dr B's nagging months ago.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

33 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah..  restaurants and bars open -  cheerleading and gymnastics open.... arena open for hockey... cinemas open....  Mall packed yesterday..

But you can NOT  have xmas day with your Brother in law...

So, how big is your, or your brother in law's house, compared to the mall?

• Cheers 1