The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your immune system finds it hard to fight viruses that it's never faced before. 

Native tribes were decimated by smallpox brought in by Europeans. 

Every virus is different, you don't get reinfected by the same flu strain every year.

Once you build immunity, you're good for life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

you know the only way that we safely get herd immunity?  Vaccination

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You work at a private school don't you Deb? Seems to me since they are getting funding from both the parents and the province. It should be not a big deal for them to buy PPE/Masks and do more than our public schools can. 

I do....and don't get me wrong, they've been absolutely fantastic in providing supplies.  I have wipes, spray, sanitizer, a mask and a faceshield.  They supplied every staff member with a cloth mask and they also have a back up supply of disposables.

The issue is what they can/cannot do in relation to those teachers who don't want to wear masks (yes, they're out there).  Until the Province mandates it as mandatory, their hands are tied in how much they can enforce.  The BCTF is pushing hard for a clearer outline and mandatory masks yet some teachers are happy not to have to wear them.  So, for me, that's where the issue lies.  If it was made mandatory, the school would have more power to demand it but, right now, it's open ended.  They've insisted that masks are worn "when social distancing isn't possible" but that means some teachers walking into my (shared) office come in without a mask on.  And the desks are spaced 2m apart (barely, if the chair isn't pushed out), so that means no mask is ok.  Except, in my view, it's not.  

• Huggy Bear 3

8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Every virus is different, you don't get reinfected by the same flu strain every year.

Once you build immunity, you're good for life.

You're making an assumption based on this is "just the flu".

Normal flu, doesn't require you to be on a ventilator, cause strokes, cause major damage to lung tissue, wipe out your taste/smell. 

Doesn't take much research to see this is not "hype". 

Banking on your immune system is like riding a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops. 

Great if you don't get into an accident. Not so much when you meet the pavement. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I do....and don't get me wrong, they've been absolutely fantastic in providing supplies.  I have wipes, spray, sanitizer, a mask and a faceshield.  They supplied every staff member with a cloth mask and they also have a back up supply of disposables.

The issue is what they can/cannot do in relation to those teachers who don't want to wear masks (yes, they're out there).  Until the Province mandates it as mandatory, their hands are tied in how much they can enforce.  The BCTF is pushing hard for a clearer outline and mandatory masks yet some teachers are happy not to have to wear them.  So, for me, that's where the issue lies.  If it was made mandatory, the school would have more power to demand it but, right now, it's open ended.  They've insisted that masks are worn "when social distancing isn't possible" but that means some teachers walking into my (shared) office come in without a mask on.  And the desks are spaced 2m apart (barely, if the chair isn't pushed out), so that means no mask is ok.  Except, in my view, it's not.  

public school is the same

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Tystick said:

After one has built immunity, the virus can no longer exist in the body, so there's no passing it on to someone else.

Here's the science behind it (yes, from a scientist and an expert in the field):

So, let's take an example, of a disease like measles, which is a very common childhood infectious illness caused by measles virus, for which there is a very effective vaccine. Now, we say that to achieve herd immunity in the population, for measles, you need about 95% of the people to have immunity or antibodies. Even if you have 5% of children not vaccinated, these others actually have enough protection in the population to prevent the measles virus from actually going from one person to the next. So it's really like having a barrier of people who are protected, who break that chain of transmission. So, you don't need every single person in the area, in the population, to necessarily be protected.

Q: Is it the right way to think about herd immunity in the context of COVID to say the vaccine is far away, why don't we just let everyone get infected? 

So, the SARS-CoV-2 virus is a highly transmissible virus. We think it needs at least 60 to 70% of the population to have immunity to really break the chain of transmission. If you allow this to happen naturally, it will take a long time, of course, but more importantly, it's going to do a lot of collateral damage. So even if 1% of people who get infected are ultimately going to die, then this can add up to a huge number of people, if we look at the global population. And that is why we believe it's not a good idea to try to achieve herd immunity by just letting the infection run wild in the population and infect a lot of people and that we should talk about herd immunity in the context of a vaccine.

Q: So, let me come to the vaccine now. So, our strategy is to vaccinate enough people rather than just letting people get infected. Is that where the science is now?

That's right. Because with a vaccine you can achieve immunity and herd immunity safely. Through natural infection, we could also achieve it at some point, but it would be at great human cost. And so naturally, the better choice is doing it through a vaccine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

Has herd immunity ever been achieved in humans?

I heard that descendants of Spanish flu victims were immune to versions of that virus but that's about as close as I have come across.

Got any examples?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're making an assumption based on this is "just the flu".

Normal flu, doesn't require you to be on a ventilator, cause strokes, cause major damage to lung tissue, wipe out your taste/smell. 

Doesn't take much research to see this is not "hype". 

Banking on your immune system is like riding a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops. 

Great if you don't get into an accident. Not so much when you meet the pavement. 

Actually people die from the flu every year.

It's very similar in that one's immune system is compromised, results in pneumonia, and unfortunately die on a ventilator.

I never said it was the flu, simply stated that strains are different and that's why you catch multiple colds each year.

That said, if you focus on proper nutrition and different methods to strengthen your immune system, you can potentially never get sick.

I fast, eat as good as possible, and exercise, I haven't been sick in years.

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Glad I'm not a breeder. Putting them back in school is not a decision I would want to make for my kids and fam. Up to what age is the reduced transmission? Is this  mostly an adult virus? 

I have a couple family members in the school system. They are concerned.

I keep hearing more and more stories. Today was a friend stating his sons Lacrosse academy has an exposure, so the group may have to be tested. 

Also, why is AB switching their 7-12 to home schooling on Nov 30?

my daughter is out of the K-12 system now, but I'd be fine with her going back to take classes at BCIT e.g., for the in person stuff they are still doing they're doing a good job.

For stuff like this I really try to tune out the various stories and opinions and just look at the numbers. What is that telling us? 

20 minutes ago, Tystick said:

or, you know, you don't. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I feel like they are framing the argument to fit their need to keep schools open.  

Don't know about that.

I've talked to teachers and other parents.  So far nothing spreading at my kids school. 

The nearby high school I'm getting the details from other parents. 

But my experiences/information may be different from other jurisdictions.  I'm guessing how diligent students/parents are can be a factor for such low cases in my neighborhood. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the science behind it (yes, from a scientist and an expert in the field):

Sounds great, as I said though, I want a safe vaccine or else I'm not interested.

Vaccines usually take years to be deemed safe for the public. I'm not making rash decisions, have severe side effects, and have no way to seek damages.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my daughter is out of the K-12 system now, but I'd be fine with her going back to take classes at BCIT e.g., for the in person stuff they are still doing they're doing a good job.

For stuff like this I really try to tune out the various stories and opinions and just look at the numbers. What is that telling us? 

Why is Alberta pulling their 7-12 to home schooling? They must have some numbers that have them thinking about school transmission concerns?

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Has herd immunity ever been achieved in humans?

I heard that descendants of Spanish flu victims were immune to versions of that virus but that's about as close as I have come across.

Got any examples?

Yes every year, the masses catch a flu virus, for example, and build immunity.

Unfortunately hundreds of thousands of people die, but we never lockdown the world.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah kids at school don't transmit colds / flu either...... or covid.

Anti science people will really be what sets BC hard into this 2nd wave of covid....

Kids at my school are wearing masks and washing hands.  By far less cases of colds/flu this year at my kids school. 

I'm usually get a cold/flu from my kids.  But nothing so far. 

• Cheers 1