Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Stawns is all about his 'No Doubt Bud'

 

I've seen what he grows in the Cannabis thread. I would like some, no doubt. :lol:

haha, we need some kind of new covid strain.  Couch lock for 14 days.

 

@luckylager you up for that challenge?

Edited by stawns
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what concerns me about schools.

 

The argument is that schools aren't experiencing outbreaks or transmission.  So how long before they are?

 

It isn't rocket science to assume that, as things explode in certain spots, the "community" transmission will result in some kids coming to school with COVID.  It's a ticking time bomb to "wait" until that does cross over and start to spread (as we're starting to see).  It's only a matter of time because "kids" aren't the only people in schools....teachers and admin could be who they pass it to.  So if kids aren't spreading as many droplets, that's just Russian roulette.  Kids aren't immune..which would be the only reason to exclude them from precautionary measures to prevent the spread.  

 

If you're focusing on "groups"...they are groups of students in classrooms.  And even "a" kid can possibly spread this thing...if it's to a teacher who then goes walking through the halls, that's how it starts.

 

I get the thinking behind it and, at first, supported it.  But as things are on the rise, it only makes sense to use preventative measures rather than hopes and prayers.  "We're not seeing......transmission/cases in schools" doesn't mean we won't.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sorry, efficacy rates are always going to be < 100% because not everyone will respond physiologically to a vaccine in the same sort of way, and as for the safe for everyone part... well, considering even water has an LD50 value... :bigblush:

Oh okay well I'll pass, I trust my immune system over some rushed science experiment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nothing wrong with being concerned that they are rushing things. I honestly believe more of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine more because they are giving numbers that are around 70% effective. That seems a more realistic figure on an early attempt at vaccine than 90-95%. 

Since all data suggests we have a very good chance of survival, my odds are better naturally building immunity than taking an experimental vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tystick said:

After one has built immunity, the virus can no longer exist in the body, so there's no passing it on to someone else.

and you're going to do that without getting the vaccine?

 

I don't disagree with the concerns about a rushed vaccine, but we're all going to have to take the risk fr the greater good.  Freedom doesn't come without responsibility

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's what concerns me about schools.

 

The argument is that schools aren't experiencing outbreaks or transmission.  So how long before they are?

 

It isn't rocket science to assume that, as things explode in certain spots, the "community" transmission will result in some kids coming to school with COVID.  It's a ticking time bomb to "wait" until that does cross over and start to spread (as we're starting to see).  It's only a matter of time because "kids" aren't the only people in schools....teachers and admin could be who they pass it to.  So if kids aren't spreading as many droplets, that's just Russian roulette.  Kids aren't immune..which would be the only reason to exclude them from precautionary measures to prevent the spread.  

 

If you're focusing on "groups"...they are groups of students in classrooms.  And even "a" kid can possibly spread this thing...if it's to a teacher who then goes walking through the halls, that's how it starts.

 

I get the thinking behind it and, at first, supported it.  But as things are on the rise, it only makes sense to use preventative measures rather than hopes and prayers.  "We're not seeing......transmission/cases in schools" doesn't mean we won't.

 

 

You work at a private school don't you Deb? Seems to me since they are getting funding from both the parents and the province. It should be not a big deal for them to buy PPE/Masks and do more than our public schools can. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Since all data suggests we have a very good chance of survival, my odds are better naturally building immunity than taking an experimental vaccine.

Your immune system finds it hard to fight viruses that it's never faced before. 

Native tribes were decimated by smallpox brought in by Europeans. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stawns said:

and you're going to do that without getting the vaccine?

 

I don't disagree with the concerns about a rushed vaccine, but we're all going to have to take the risk fr the greater good.  Freedom doesn't come without responsibility

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your immune system finds it hard to fight viruses that it's never faced before. 

Native tribes were decimated by smallpox brought in by Europeans. 

Every virus is different, you don't get reinfected by the same flu strain every year.

Once you build immunity, you're good for life.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

 

 

you know the only way that we safely get herd immunity?  Vaccination

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You work at a private school don't you Deb? Seems to me since they are getting funding from both the parents and the province. It should be not a big deal for them to buy PPE/Masks and do more than our public schools can. 

I do....and don't get me wrong, they've been absolutely fantastic in providing supplies.  I have wipes, spray, sanitizer, a mask and a faceshield.  They supplied every staff member with a cloth mask and they also have a back up supply of disposables.

 

The issue is what they can/cannot do in relation to those teachers who don't want to wear masks (yes, they're out there).  Until the Province mandates it as mandatory, their hands are tied in how much they can enforce.  The BCTF is pushing hard for a clearer outline and mandatory masks yet some teachers are happy not to have to wear them.  So, for me, that's where the issue lies.  If it was made mandatory, the school would have more power to demand it but, right now, it's open ended.  They've insisted that masks are worn "when social distancing isn't possible" but that means some teachers walking into my (shared) office come in without a mask on.  And the desks are spaced 2m apart (barely, if the chair isn't pushed out), so that means no mask is ok.  Except, in my view, it's not.  

  • Huggy Bear 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Every virus is different, you don't get reinfected by the same flu strain every year.

Once you build immunity, you're good for life.

You're making an assumption based on this is "just the flu".

Normal flu, doesn't require you to be on a ventilator, cause strokes, cause major damage to lung tissue, wipe out your taste/smell. 

Doesn't take much research to see this is not "hype". 

Banking on your immune system is like riding a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops. 

Great if you don't get into an accident. Not so much when you meet the pavement. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...