The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

since it is very much like a bad flu, with a potential loss of taste and smell. Look up covid19 testimonials.

Oh, a few long term possible implications that you forgot to add.  And don't discount the loss of taste and smell...it's a big loss.  My Dad lost his years ago in an accident.

• Cardiovascular: inflammation of the heart muscle
  • Respiratory: lung function abnormalities
  • Renal: acute kidney injury
  • Dermatologic: rash, hair loss
  • Neurological: smell and taste problems, sleep issues, difficulty with concentration, memory problems
  • Psychiatric: depression, anxiety, changes in mood
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Cases of reinfection with COVID-19 have been reported, but remain rare.

fixed.

Point being:  they do happen.  Unlike the misinformation you've posted.

"Rare" isn't "can't"

Building immunity means your body has defeated the virus and you can't get the same strain again. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Point being:  they do happen.  Unlike the misinformation you've posted.

Did you post misinformation? Or perhaps other posters on here? 

I've corrected people many times, I don't claim that what they were spreading was dangerous. It's a discussion.

I've also sourced my statements more than others have on here as well.

This seems more like I'm being attacked for not having the correct opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

The second link also has some pertinent information:

At first, a doctor denied Russell’s application, but over time, “more concrete medical health” issues developed, her daughter said, and she succeeded in securing a doctor to carry out her wish. She died October 20.

Yes, it's terribly tragic.  Isolation wasn't something she wanted to face, however, she was also very ill and at 90, likely made the decision to give up with that likely also factoring in.  Sadly, my Dad had said something similar awhile ago...that if he had to go through any more pain/procedures, he was going to pass on them.  People do give up.

She got to make that choice....for some, who will be subjected to COVID because others feel like they're immune from it and could be carrying it, they may not.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Tystick said:

What a great way to frame things for those seniors.

Sorry seniors, you're going to have to stay in isolation with no human contact, we'll treat your suicidal feelings eventually, because otherwise you're going to 100% get a violent pneumonic reaction and die.

Make sure you watch lots of CNN, never question what you are told, and DON'T work towards strengthening your immune system, that's dangerous misinformation.

Okay I think I got it guys. Makes sense.

as opposed to the "have fun drowning in your own fluids, with your only human contact being someone in a hazmat suit while your friends and family can only watch yoiu die on facetime?

Pretty sure I know what I'd pick

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Did you post misinformation? Or perhaps other posters on here? 

I've corrected people many times, I don't claim that what they were spreading was dangerous. It's a discussion.

I've also sourced my statements more than others have on here as well.

This seems more like I'm being attacked for not having the correct opinion.

No, I certainly did not.

Your information IS dangerous, so focus there. 

I've pointed out where some of your statements are false (that one being one of them..."rare" is not "can't") and you're not an expert on COVID.  So don't speak in fact and statements.  You won't just ward off or recover from COVID because you're fit.  And a lockdown that kills "businesses" is worth it if it "saves lives".

Suicide was here long before covid and will be here long after....it's tragic and to those suffering, there's help out there.  Please reach out for it.  We're all struggling but it's for a greater good and helping us get to a safer time and place.  Those pushing against that are simply delaying the agony in it all by keeping the numbers high and the response to that drastic.   And those using it as an excuse to NOT pitch in...I find that deplorable.  They're looking after self interest, no one else's. 

We all can band together and lessen the impact if we focus on being safe out there.  And protecting one another by doing everything asked of us to get this thing under control

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

as opposed to the "have fun drowning in your own fluids, with your only human contact being someone in a hazmat suit while your friends and family can only watch yoiu die on facetime?

Pretty sure I know what I'd pick

Of the active cases we have right now, there is a 99.4% chance of having a mild condition.

Meaning there is a 0.6% chance of possibly experiencing something like that.

With effective therapeutics available, that chance would go way down.

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Of the active cases we have right now, there is a 99.4% chance of having a mild condition.

What "effective therapeutics"?  I'm curious. 

My Dad, in his 80's, wants to know.  Doc.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No, I certainly did not.

Your information IS dangerous, so focus there. 

I've pointed out where some of your statements are false (that one being one of them..."rare" is not "can't") and you're not an expert on COVID.  So don't speak in fact and statements.  You won't just ward off or recover from COVID because you're fit.  And a lockdown that kills "businesses" is worth it if it "saves lives".

Suicide was here long before covid and will be here long after....it's tragic and to those suffering, there's help out there.  Please reach out for it.  We're all struggling but it's for a greater good and helping us get to a safer time and place.  Those pushing against that are simply delaying the agony in it all by keeping the numbers high and the response to that drastic.  We all can band together and lessen the impact if we focus on being safe out there.

I never once claimed to have all the answers, I was just looking for a discussion.

Oh well, sorry, I'll just leave because my ideas are dangerous. We wouldn't want to have a discussion on all of the factors in play.

A very welcoming and open-minded community we have here.

Have a good day.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

The odds of winning the lottery are much lower than 0.6% but people are still winning every week. 

• Cheers 1

Walmart employee attacked after asking customer to mask up, police say

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/walmart-employee-attacked-after-asking-customer-to-mask-up-police-say-1.5206231

VANCOUVER -- Another dispute over B.C.'s mandatory mask policy erupted into violence this week at a Walmart in the remote community of Dawson Creek.

Some wackos out there.

:(

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I never once claimed to have all the answers, I was just looking for a discussion.

Oh well, sorry, I'll just leave because my ideas are dangerous. We wouldn't want to have a discussion on all of the factors in play.

A very welcoming and open-minded community we have here.

Have a good day.

I never once claimed you did ... but the answers you did claim to have were false information.  And, therefore, dangerous.

So it's likely best if you do find a way to communicate your opinion as only that.  We strive to have all the factors in play, which is how the discussion unfolded.  Sadly, it failed to support the ideas you brought in.

The scientific and health experts are the ones we should be listening to ...  it's ok to challenge that, but bring facts, references and not just statements.

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/walmart-employee-attacked-after-asking-customer-to-mask-up-police-say-1.5206231

VANCOUVER -- Another dispute over B.C.'s mandatory mask policy erupted into violence this week at a Walmart in the remote community of Dawson Creek.

Some wackos out there.

These idiots can all use all their Walmart ding dong cash for fines.  That'll learn 'em.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Tystick said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-10-000-deaths-1.5779193

According to the Coronavirus Resource Centre at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md., Canada's COVID-19 case fatality rate is about 4.5 per cent, with about 27 deaths per 100,000 residents.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

Some wackos out there.

what I want to know is wtf is everyone just standing around for?  Get in there ffs

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

OK, now for a real scenario. Imagine not being able to visit your otherwise “spry” grandmother when she decides to kill herself rather than be locked down again. 
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/health/2020/11/19/1_5197140.html

I get the need to protect people, but there is a point where it’s going to far. I for one would rather accept some risk (not fighting over masks, sanitizing etc) close some non essential things as needed but will fight for my right to see my family. Too far in either direction is simply wrong. 

Thing is....bring your family home then.  Have them with you.

Because if they are in "a facility", it's about the others in there too.  You bring in covid and they may get it.  So it's about protecting everyone by the numbers, even if it does have some very unfortunate casualties.  And homes often so...not everyone's happy to be in there, let's not overlook that.  COVID's highlighting some problems that were already there.

So do you protect one person who can't cope anymore or the other 120 who are fighting to keep going?  

Care homes will always have people who are depressed and, sadly, even suicidal.  Because some are dumped in there and isolated at the best of times, not just the worst. People have to be creative in how they "see" each other right now....there are sources to do so.  My friend whose mother is 90 goes to the home and stands outside the window.  Not ideal...but something.  We all have to do things differently and there's no escaping that.

It's not an easy situation but you have to do what's best for the majority of the people...which is prevent the spread of this however possible.  Homes are hotspots...so that's a sad reality in it all.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is....bring your family home then.  Have them with you.

Because if they are in "a facility", it's about the others in there too.  You bring in covid and they may get it.  So it's about protecting everyone, even if it does have some very unfortunate casualties.

So do you protect one person who can't cope anymore or the other 120 who are fighting to keep going?  

Care homes will always have people who are depressed and, sadly, even suicidal.  Because some are dumped in there and isolated at the best of times, not just the worst. People have to be creative in how they "see" each other right now....there are sources to do so.  My friend who's mother is 90 goes to the home and stands outside the window.  Not ideal...but something.

It's not an easy situation but you have to do what's best for the majority of the people...which is prevent the spread of this however possible.  Homes are hotspots...so that's a sad reality in it all.

people are so over stating the suicide risk, especially compared to the risk of the virus when it gets into a facility.  It's a complete no brainer

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-10-000-deaths-1.5779193

According to the Coronavirus Resource Centre at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md., Canada's COVID-19 case fatality rate is about 4.5 per cent, with about 27 deaths per 100,000 residents.

And I'd guess that even in the best of times, this is an issue. 

Loneliness and isolation in seniors isn't something COVID's creating....it's simply elevating it.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1