The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I’m very interested to see the true numbers from Iran, currently 2 Vice Presidents and 10% of their parliament has contracted the virus. 

I imagine the situation is much more grave over there than they’re showing to the world.

I wonder what the real numbers in China are also.  I saw a video supposedly showing officials welding a door to an apartment building closed in wuhan with people in the building.

Hard to know what is true though.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

It was actually 7 due to inbound travellers.

And I don’t understand why they are advising us not to travel, but continue to allow inbound flights....without any screening upon arrival.

They said 5 were travel related  the others are undermined at this time which makes me think that's there new word for community spread... I agree they need to do more with the inbound flights.

Also update on my earlier post a friend in college with no travel history went to the ER in Maple Ridge with asthmatic type symptoms and a fever and is awaiting results of her test. She does not have asthma.

Edited by AppleJack
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I wonder what the real numbers in China are also.  I saw a video supposedly showing officials welding a door to an apartment building closed in wuhan with people in the building.

It’s difficult to know whether those accusations and videos are true. 

But at the same time it’s difficult to come up with a defence for the Chinese government because they’re guilty of worse things. So it wouldn’t be surprising if it was all true. 

It’s scary to think that those things could be true and whether or not they sentenced people to die by doing something like that. Speculation though. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

In the upper decks, yes, but not the lower ones (unless that’s changed since I last rode on one, in which case, disregard). So if you have the virus and are directed to the bottom level then you’re bringing it to all passenger decks. Whereas if you’re directed to the upper level then at least it’s only in your vehicle and everyone can isolate once arriving at their destination. I don’t like that being up to chance, allow all passengers to stay in vehicles at all levels temporarily. Sure there’ll be people who disregard the dangers and will go up anyways, but limiting those to the idiots rather then absolutely forcing anyone who potentially has it into crowded passenger levels is vital to slow the spread as much as possible.

This could also have the bonus effect of helping those with underlying medical problems avoid getting infected by allowing vulnerable people to stay away from passenger levels (high areas of transmission) to your own vehicle (which is likely cleaner and less infected then anywhere else on the boat). 

Just speaking from experience over the last little while as i usually get stuck on what they call the closed lower decks.they dont regularly enforce the if later in the night it depends on whos working.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That is the extreme circumstance that is going on, the public went nuts over that that on the internet and the police officer and the chief of that area ended up getting fired. They really pay attention to the public over here. If for instance they want to pass a law, they leak it out, then guage what people are saying about it before enacting it. The numbers are fairly correct considering the fact that all of us have been inside our homes for day number 50 now. People are keeping up with the numbers extremely closely and the suburb of Wuhan where I am in have had no cases for the past week and a half so things are starting to open up a little bit. I'm not sure about what the newsoutlets are saying in numbers back in Canada but with all the social media here, the number has gone down relatively low. There is also a lot of mis information out there. The face masks are a lot of help, I don't care what the people in the media says, the face masks work really well because even of we close our mouths we must always be breathing in crowded areas. and if you can then go stock up on some. They really help when protecting yourself against the virus because it's airborn and it must go through many layers of face mask material before it gets in your mouth or nose. Also, if you are sick yourself then it allows you have a lesser chancce of giving it to others. If they really are not needed like a lot of people say then why do doctors even need them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

What a douche: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.5496727/b-c-couple-confronted-at-costco-for-buying-bulk-lysol-wipes-to-re-sell-for-profit-1.5496733

B.C. couple confronted at Costco for buying bulk Lysol wipes to re-sell for profit

Vancouver pair tells the Star they've made $30K selling cleaning products on Amazon during COVID-19 pandemic

The pair explained to Quan how they hit several Costco locations every day in Vancouver, Richmond and Burnaby, buy up all the Lysol wipes and cleaning liquid on hand, then turn them around for re-sale on their Amazon store Violeta & Sons Trading Ltd.

"It's a big opportunity with all these products," Ranga told the Star.

Quan says they had what appeared to be hundreds of cases stacked up on Costco pallets — enough that Ranga had to take two trips to get them all home. 

One six-pack of wipes goes for about $20 at Costco, but fetches upward of $80 online, they said. Ranga told Quan they'd spent about $70,000 in bulk buys, and raked in about $100,000 in sales.

"So not a bad profit at the end of the day," Quan said.

Costco did not respond to requests for comment from either As It Happens or the Toronto Star. 

After the Star published its story, Amazon removed the listing for the Lysol wipes, which were selling for $89 per six-pack. Soon after, they disabled the couple's account. 

"There is no place for price gouging on Amazon," the company said in an emailed statement.

"We are disappointed that bad actors are attempting to artificially raise prices on basic need products during a global health crisis and, in line with our long-standing policy, have recently blocked or removed hundreds of thousands of offers. We continue to actively monitor our store and remove offers that violate our policies."

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

lol - people would actually buy from a vendor with just a 50% rating on Amazon.ca?  Granted only 4 reviews but still.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol - people would actually buy from a vendor with just a 50% rating on Amazon.ca?  Granted only 4 reviews but still.

PM some bit coin, I'll hook you up with whatever you want. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Anything from The Enoch Times is fake news.  The Enoch Times is run by the Falun Gong who is strongly anti Chinese Communist Party.   Anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt,

• Cheers 1

Coronavirus: How hackers are preying on fears of Covid-19

By Joe TidyCyber-security reporter 
Envelope with virusImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Security experts say a spike in email scams linked to coronavirus is the worst they have seen in years.

Cyber-criminals are targeting individuals as well as industries, including aerospace, transport, manufacturing, hospitality, healthcare and insurance.

Phishing emails written in English, French, Italian, Japanese, and Turkish languages have been found.

The BBC has tracked five of the campaigns.

1. Click here for a cure

Email scam screenshotImage copyrightPROOFPOINT  Image captionVictims looking for a cure face having personal details stolen

Researchers at the cyber-security firm Proofpoint first noticed a strange email being sent to customers in February. The message purported to be from a mysterious doctor claiming to have details about a vaccine being covered up by the Chinese and UK governments. 

The firm says people who click on the attached document are taken to a spoof webpage designed to harvest login details. It says up to 200,000 of the emails are being sent at a time. 

"We have seen 35-plus consecutive days of malicious coronavirus email campaigns, with many using fear to convince victims to click," says Sherrod DeGrippo from the company's threat research and detection team.

Proofpoint says three to four variations are launched each day.

"It's obvious these campaigns are returning dividends for cyber-criminals," says Ms DeGrippo.

The best way to see where a link will take you is to hover your mouse cursor over it to reveal the true web address. If it looks dodgy, don't click. 

2. Covid-19 tax refund

Screenshot of email tax scamImage copyrightMIMECAST Image captionHM Revenue and Customs is not trying to give you a Covid-19 tax rebate

Researchers at cyber-security firm Mimecast flagged this scam a few weeks ago. On the morning they detected it, they saw more than 200 examples in just a few hours. 

If a member of the public clicked on "access your funds now", it would take them to a fake government webpage, encouraging them to input all their financial and tax information.

"Do not respond to any electronic communication in relation to monies via email," says Carl Wearn, head of e-crime at Mimecast. "And certainly do not click on any links in any related message. This is not how HMRC would advise you of a potential tax refund."

3. Little measure that saves

Screenshot of fake WHO scamImage copyrightPROOFPOINT Image captionThe World Health Organization is being impersonated by many hacking campaigns

Hackers pretending to represent the World Health Organization (WHO) claim that an attached document details how recipients can prevent the disease's spread.

"This little measure can save you," they claim.

But Proofpoint says the attachment doesn't contain any useful advice, and instead infects computers with malicious software called AgentTesla Keylogger. 

This records every keystroke and sends it to the attackers, a tactic that allows them to monitor their victims' every move online.

To avoid this scam, be wary of emails claiming to be from WHO, as they are probably fake. Instead visit its official website or social media channels for the latest advice.

4. The virus is now airborne

Screenshot of fear-inducing email scamImage copyrightCOFENSE Image captionHackers are using fear-mongering tactics to encourge clicks and downloads

The subject line reads: Covid-19 - now airborne, increased community transmission. 

It is designed to look like it's from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It uses one of the organisation's legitimate email addresses, but has in fact been sent via a spoofing tool.

Cofense, the cyber-defence provider, first detected the scam and describes it as an example of hackers "weaponising fear and panic". 

It says the link directs victims to a fake Microsoft login page, where people are encouraged to enter their email and password. Then victims are redirected to the real CDC advice page, making it seem even more authentic. Of course, the hackers now have control of the email account.

Cofense says the combination of a "rather good forgery" and a "high stress situation" make for a potent trap.

One way to protect yourself is to enable two-factor authentication, so that you have to enter a code texted or otherwise provided to you, to access your email account.

5. Donate here to help the fight 

Screenshot of CDC Bitcoin scamImage copyrightKASPERSKY Image captionThe CDC is not asking for donations in Bitcoin

This example was reported to malware experts Kaspersky. The fake CDC email asks for donations to develop a vaccine, and requests payments be made in the cryptocurrency Bitcoin. 

The premise is of course ridiculous, but the email address and signature look convincing.

Overall, Kaspersky says it has detected more 513 different files with coronavirus in their title, which contain malware. 

"We expect the numbers to grow, of course, as the real virus continues to spread," says David Emm, principal security researcher at the firm.

Quick comparison: 

193 confirmed cases in Canada. (1 death, 8 recovered)

64 in BC (1 death, 4 recovered) . 

2134 confirmed case in the US (46 deaths, 12 recovered)

568 in Washington State (37 deaths, 1 recovered).  

source- https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by Canada Hockey Place

5 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Quick comparison: 

193 confirmed cases in Canada. (1 death, 8 recovered)

64 in BC (1 death, 4 recovered) . 

2134 confirmed case in the US (46 deaths, 12 recovered)

568 in Washington State (37 deaths, 1 recovered).  

source- https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Well considering they have almost ten times the population we have, you'd expect the US to have ten times as many cases. 

3 minutes ago, kurtis said:

This crap has got out of hand.. The media that is.. 

The media that is creating unnecessary panic yes, the media reporting on this and what’s happening around the world no. The things going on are historic and will generally and understandably gather more attention.