The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I never realized  it was mandatory to answer questions from other posters here on this site... 

Learn something new everyday... LOL.....

It's a valid question you frequently dodge. Which in all your complaining it might be best to present concerns and ideas on a medium that could result in possible change. 

Just some food for thought. 

• Wat 1

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's a valid question you frequently dodge. Which in all your complaining it might be best to present concerns and ideas on a medium that could result in possible change. 

Just some food for thought. 

I did not realize responding to questions here is a requirement....  

You sound like you think you are a KING .... LOL>...

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

When it comes to schools I'm not entirely convinced they are being transparent.  My daughter has worked in schools that have had cases that were never made public andf there's a very different set of standards for schools compared to everywhere else

edit: aren't being transparent

2 hours ago, GSP* said:

There’s been schools in my district with positive cases that never made it to any exposure list. Even administration is sometimes unaware. It’s frustrating when parent conversation is the only source of knowledge regarding positive tests and exposures. 

I agree with both of you that:

a) the government/health authorities are NOT being fully transparent in their identification/notification of exposures - ESPECIALLY when it comes to schools.  There are numerous known exposures at schools all across the province which are substantiated by people who work/attend these schools which never make it to any public exposure lists

b) this aforementioned failure to be transparent and efficient in notifying the public of the biggest public health threat since the last world war is causing a lot of anxiety/mistrust of the leadership of the individual health authorities not to mention this province. 

I don't  know why/what is causing this negligence in reporting but I can tell you in my view it's undermining their authority which is simply fueling the anti-virus people all over the place.   I highly suspect that their stance on NOT making masks mandatory in all K-12 classrooms in this province is behind their negligence in reporting exposures in schools. 

I've said it many times and I'll keep saying it - schools in BC are a COVID ticking time-bomb made exponentially worse due to Dr. B's insistence that kids don't spread the virus well and therefore don't need to wear masks in school. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I agree with both of you that:

a) the government/health authorities are NOT being fully transparent in their identification/notification of exposures - ESPECIALLY when it comes to schools.  There are numerous known exposures at schools all across the province which are substantiated by people who work/attend these schools which never make it to any public exposure lists

b) this aforementioned failure to be transparent and efficient in notifying the public of the biggest public health threat since the last world war is causing a lot of anxiety/mistrust of the leadership of the individual health authorities not to mention this province. 

I don't  know why/what is causing this negligence in reporting but I can tell you in my view it's undermining their authority which is simply fueling the anti-virus people all over the place.   I highly suspect that their stance on NOT making masks mandatory in all K-12 classrooms in this province is behind their negligence in reporting exposures in schools. 

I've said it many times and I'll keep saying it - schools in BC are a COVID ticking time-bomb made exponentially worse due to Dr. B's insistence that kids don't spread the virus well and therefore don't need to wear masks in school. 

There is nothing transparent about the information we are being fed. Schools is definitely one where they are not admitting everything. People talk and word gets out but it’s being shut down. 

Other examples are in stores with infections. Small stores are shut down for cleaning where other locations are not. Two such examples here in Kamloops are in two McDonalds. One was forced to close however the Wal Mart it is located inside of (without any access without going through Wal Mart apparently needed no such safeguards. A second McDonalds had a case and simply closed the dining hall while spraying chemicals around. The drive through was open and several workers were exposed to the cleaning solution that was only supposed to be used by trained professionals...this was exposed as parents of the workers complained about the practice. Not all information is being released. Only growing case numbers and scary totals...but don’t worrry!  Schools are “safe”. 

• Cheers 1

I was surprised to hear that VPD had to shut down at least 6 parties this weekend and a limo that had broken down - had 6 or more people inside.  I wish they would fine the limo driver out of business because they have complete control over whether they choose to violate the orders shutting them down.  The churches that are still holding in person services (am I the only one that noticed all 3 that were identified would be considered closer to the far right of Christianity?) I wish they would fine far more than the paltry $2300.  I've only heard of the one in Langley being fined, not sure what happened with the two in Chilliwack.  

I'm beyond fed up with people, have to keep reminding myself that the vast majority are following the asks that are being made of us, it's a select few that keep flaunting the regulations.  

I'm so saddened to hear about the number of deaths over the weekend.  Yes, the majority were older and in long term care, but they didn't deserve to die this way, without family, losing precious months and years of life that meant something to their friends and loved ones.  

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, skategal said:

I was surprised to hear that VPD had to shut down at least 6 parties this weekend and a limo that had broken down - had 6 or more people inside.  I wish they would fine the limo driver out of business because they have complete control over whether they choose to violate the orders shutting them down.  The churches that are still holding in person services (am I the only one that noticed all 3 that were identified would be considered closer to the far right of Christianity?) I wish they would fine far more than the paltry $2300.  I've only heard of the one in Langley being fined, not sure what happened with the two in Chilliwack.  

I'm beyond fed up with people, have to keep reminding myself that the vast majority are following the asks that are being made of us, it's a select few that keep flaunting the regulations.  

I'm so saddened to hear about the number of deaths over the weekend.  Yes, the majority were older and in long term care, but they didn't deserve to die this way, without family, losing precious months and years of life that meant something to their friends and loved ones.  

I believe anyone attending a religious service and those who hold title of religious office who demand the right to worship in a specific place should then trust in their god and sign papers of faith eschewing medical help of any type for them and their families and put it in their gods' hands

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

A friend of my sister and I just lost his Dad in the Burnaby Gen outbreak......It's a terrible feeling to realize that when they read the COVID numbers out today on the evening news that one of those 'numbers' was actually someone I knew. People got to get their sh!t together and do everything they can to help keep the risk to exposure down. :( The risk to themselves and the risk to others. Asymptomatic carriers can be anyone we know outside our ever-shrinking bubbles.

Yah crazy to think my rec hockey team played tonight..... how is that permitted... ?  I wonder if they had beer in the room after..... ?   BC has such crazy covid regulations.....  My second rec team plays this thursday.... It was paused for 2 weeks but now is back on. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

So here is a honest question. I will give this place as an example. I'm sure their are many more like this. The Canadian Tire in Port Coquitlam is a mad house. They have placed all of their seasonal decor and lights on one side of the store. ALL of the lights extend along the side wall for about 20 meters or so. The isle is 5 to 6 feet wide. They have placed markings and signs directing for one way only. It was a mad house on Sunday afternoon and NO ONE was following the arrows. They have a limit of how many can be in the store at once and about 80% of the people were at the lights it seemed. People were all jammed in a small area all going back and forth bumping into each other.

How can a company of this size get away with this??? If this was a small business, it would have been fined like crazy. I'm sure the church service that was fined in Langley had better spacing then what was going on in that place!  

People seem to think that just because they are wearing a simple mask, it gives them the right and ok to come into your personal bubble to move by you in the wrong direction! More and more evidence is coming out that the general masks we are using are not all that great when it comes to stopping the spread. I see a lot of terrible looking masks out in the public. People need higher grade masks like N95s ect.

Very frustrating outing. Is this the fault of the complete lack of awareness of the general population or the store that doesn't seem to know what they are doing.  After this experience of holiday shopping, I think I'm going to listen to my gut and buy everything online. Oh and don't get me started on Costco... :(

5 minutes ago, kurtis said:

So here is a honest question. I will give this place as an example. I'm sure their are many more like this. The Canadian Tire in Port Coquitlam is a mad house. They have placed all of their seasonal decor and lights on one side of the store. ALL of the lights extend along the side wall for about 20 meters or so. The isle is 5 to 6 feet wide. They have placed markings and signs directing for one way only. It was a mad house on Sunday afternoon and NO ONE was following the arrows. They have a limit of how many can be in the store at once and about 80% of the people were at the lights it seemed. People were all jammed in a small area all going back and forth bumping into each other.

How can a company of this size get away with this??? If this was a small business, it would have been fined like crazy. I'm sure the church service that was fined in Langley had better spacing then what was going on in that place!  

People seem to think that just because they are wearing a simple mask, it gives them the right and ok to come into your personal bubble to move by you in the wrong direction! More and more evidence is coming out that the general masks we are using are not all that great when it comes to stopping the spread. I see a lot of terrible looking masks out in the public. People need higher grade masks like N95s ect.

Very frustrating outing. Is this the fault of the complete lack of awareness of the general population or the store that doesn't seem to know what they are doing.  After this experience of holiday shopping, I think I'm going to listen to my gut and buy everything online. Oh and don't get me started on Costco... :(

It's both.  And it's lack of awareness in the moment.  We all know what we should do, but we get lost in what we're doing and forget.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The numbers really started to spike about 2 weeks ago.... which was 2 weeks after Halloween.... just saying...

I doubt its from kids trick or treating, its the parties, just like the parties they busted this previous weekend, etc.  Nothing is really stopping these parties from getting together. 

6 hours ago, kurtis said:

Went to the Abby one a couple weekends ago and it wasn't bad.  They limited how many people were in there, I was actually amazed how much room in the aisles I had to maneuver around in. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah crazy to think my rec hockey team played tonight..... how is that permitted... ?  I wonder if they had beer in the room after..... ?   BC has such crazy covid regulations.....  My second rec team plays this thursday.... It was paused for 2 weeks but now is back on. 

My soccer is back up and running, but atleast we are outside in open air as opposed to an arena. 

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

Sadly it wasn't that long ago when I remember feeling relief that we were under 100 per day.  

course diss GIF

We did know it was gonna hit harder once everyone was back inside.  Had to expect the goalposts to move.  All I hope is it stays manageable for hospitals.  Sister works at one and said ER is busy as hell

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, kurtis said:

More and more evidence is coming out that the general masks we are using are not all that great when it comes to stopping the spread. I see a lot of terrible looking masks out in the public. People need higher grade masks like N95s ect.

Personally I think whatever face covering one wears helps.  Some help a bit, some help more.  Not everyone can afford N95 type respirators and they need to be saved for health care and first responder use so that those people who need to wear them almost all the time aren't limited to having to wear the same mask for several days at a time.  

The reporting I've seen shows that there are definitely different qualities of mask for general use and the 3 layer or 2 layer plus filter are the best but again, not everyone has the ability to procure those.  I applaud anyone making an attempt to wear a mask of any sort.  It will reduce the amount of viral particles they expire which helps to reduce the viral load that someone else around them might be exposed to.  

I agree that people still need to be aware of social distancing even with masks for those reasons.  Short of fencing off the area in the store and having a security guard monitor how many people are let in / out at a time, I'm not sure how much the store can do.  Signage only helps if people adhere to it and sadly it comes back to that level of personal accountability.  At least they aren't fighting over packages of toilet paper.  :( 

• Vintage 1