The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

The big area of need is care aides....There is a huge lack in that industry and companies don't seem to be hiring more staff 

COVID has also made it painfully clear that another urgent area of need in our society is universal child care.  Even if there are enough front (and second) line workers it'll still be a HUGE problem if 25-35% of them don't report to work because huge numbers of schools shut down due to outbreaks and the front line workers stay hm to look after their own children. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - even though Dr.B vehemently denies it - schools are a ticking COVID time-bomb waiting to go off....yet government is happy to do nothing until it's too late seemingly.

• Hydration 4
6 hours ago, Russ said:

Now imagine if we could just cut out Surrey out of the picture it wouldn't look to bad.  Its a good thing you always brag that Surrey is the future of BC and everyone wants to move there ;)

Everyone one actually is moving to surrey.  Fastest growing city in BC.   The most beautiful city in BC with such an amazing Park system.

People vote with their feet... and the feet are heading to Surrey.    I think Surrey is pretty much on par now with Quebec City, Victoria and Ottawa in terms of beautiful healty green cities to live in.   I thought about moving to  the sleepier....  Langley and saving a bunch of money with the low cost real estate there.... but i just give up the beach access and wonderful cultural activities we haver here. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
2 hours ago, Amebushi said:

So schools are safe to remain open due to the unquestioned fact that children don’t spread the virus. A few people at a couple of universities seem to disagree. 

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence?fbclid=IwAR3J3vpOyHqreyFwDWgfg57W2Pci34biNqk4fces3sJ4ha3AmUp7zXEZlKU

I continue to be vigilant as do most, but please folks don’t just agree with everything our government says without critical thinking and personal thought

Anti Science Horgan and Dr. B are counting on the fact that most BCers get their information from social media sites... and not actual scientific articles...

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how so, specifically? where would you have put them, and still staffed our other healthcare needs? 

Good questions.

1.       Temporary hospitals just for Covid patients could be built, hotels can be used as temporary hospitals as well. Heck, a portion of  GM Place could be used for hospital.

2.       Aggressively hire  personal for covid care. You don’t need to be trained 4 years +4 years +1 year (as my son) to take care of covid patient. Use medical students, retirees, medical professionals from foreign countries who live here but can’t work in Canada , etc.

We we told by Government that we are at war with virus. Well, war time required a strong management from Government, and,so far I've seen none.

During WW2 Canada built over 5000 tanks. From 0 in 1940. And these days we have to wait until developed countries produce vaccine for their own needs and then sell us some. Why a production facility was not built  during this year? This is just one of many questions.

Yes, we all need to do our part, and I do my part- as a manager on my job and as a responsible person in everyday situations.  And I would like to see at least some smart actions from the Government. Lockdown and print money- cannot be the  only solution, it creates more problems going forward.

Just my opinion...

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Good questions.

1.       Temporary hospitals just for Covid patients could be built, hotels can be used as temporary hospitals as well. Heck, a portion of  GM Place could be used for hospital.

2.       Aggressively hire  personal for covid care. You don’t need to be trained 4 years +4 years +1 year (as my son) to take care of covid patient. Use medical students, retirees, medical professionals from foreign countries who live here but can’t work in Canada , etc.

We we told by Government that we are at war with virus. Well, war time required a strong management from Government, and,so far I've seen none.

During WW2 Canada built over 5000 tanks. From 0 in 1940. And these days we have to wait until developed countries produce vaccine for their own needs and then sell us some. Why a production facility was not built  during this year? This is just one of many questions.

Yes, we all need to do our part, and I do my part- as a manager on my job and as a responsible person in everyday situations.  And I would like to see at least some smart actions from the Government. Lockdown and print money- cannot be the  only solution, it creates more problems going forward.

Just my opinion...

hmm... its a pretty good one. I do know they at least planned to use some hotels if need be, but you're correct in questioning whether or not it should have been done anyway to ensure that the regular system could continue. Things would still be slowed in standard hospital settings due to enhanced cleaning, etc. but with proper staff screening maybe we wouldn't be 2 years behind in many surgeries. 

It's interesting being part of an exposure to see how it all works.  Though the class was in my library, I did not have 1-1 exposure with the student longer than 15 mins (I didn't longer than 10-15 seconds), so I don't have to self isolate, just monitor for symptoms.

The entire class, teachers and EAs all self isolate until next tuesday

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Anti Science Horgan and Dr. B are counting on the fact that most BCers get their information from social media sites... and not actual scientific articles...

But have you spoken concerns to your MLA? 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Of course he hasn't. They are all anti-mask, anti-science....

Just like he hasn't talked to Worksafe, BCTF, Fraser Health Authority.....

Weird how spamming a forum that can do nothing to fix your complaints achieves nothing :bigblush:

• Hydration 3
1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

Good questions.

Just my opinion...

Wait where are we sending these people? And why would aquillini want covid people at his place when he wants to get hockey up and going? There's literally the government funded stadium right beside in BC place that is sitting completely vacant for who knows how long. 

Edited by Russ

Some people still don't get it:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/langley-church-fined-2-3k-for-violating-b-c-covid-19-gathering-restrictions-1.5821450

Langley church fined $2.3K for violating B.C. COVID-19 gathering restrictions

Church-goers say banning in-person services is against their charter rights

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, Russ said:

Wait where are we sending these people? And why would aquillini want covid people at his place when he wants to get hockey up and going? There's literally the government funded stadium right beside in BC place that is sitting completely vacant for who knows how long. 

Yes, BC stadium is even a better option.

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the problem is we can't just create a huge amount of new capacity in our healthcare system. Its not like we can suddenly have 100s more people in isolation and ICU and also keep handling our normal case load, The hospital space simply doesn't exist, nor the staffing. 

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Good questions.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmm... its a pretty good one. I do know they at least planned to use some hotels if need be, but you're correct in questioning whether or not it should have been done anyway to ensure that the regular system could continue. Things would still be slowed in standard hospital settings due to enhanced cleaning, etc. but with proper staff screening maybe we wouldn't be 2 years behind in many surgeries. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

28 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Yes, BC stadium is even a better option.

Of course, we conveniently forget that the Convention Centre already has hospital capacity set aside since the beginning of the pandemic for exactly this purpose...

https://www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/news/alternate-care-site-update

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-convention-centre-to-remain-an-empty-hospital-for-foreseeable-future

:emot-parrot:

• Like 1

Why are average BC citizens ahead of our BC government on limiting covid....... ??

1/3rd of kids with COVID are asymptomatic how can we increase safety in schools? Kids may not know they have it and may be spreading it. Sanitizer and hand washing don’t stop the spread of aerosols. A density reduction and masks may help. #bced #bcpoli

Well this is disturbing...

BC gov /  Min of Health  NOW  giving up.....   -  WOW.....

The B.C. Ministry of Health has told Postmedia News it is unable to provide a daily total school exposure number.

The ministry said that “providing granular data on a daily basis” for school exposures was beyond its capacity …”as we focus on reducing transmission, contact tracing and education.

According to the B.C. CDC’s weekly “situation report,” almost 10 per cent of people aged 15-19 tested positive for COVID-19 during the week Nov. 15-21 (this was the highest positivity rate of any age group in Week 47

https://theprovince.com/news/covid-19-b-c-ministry-of-health-unable-to-provide-total-daily-school-exposure-number/wcm/32d2d276-3b4c-471a-a14b-48c5e6963085

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why are average BC citizens ahead of our BC government on limiting covid....... ??

1/3rd of kids with COVID are asymptomatic how can we increase safety in schools? Kids may not know they have it and may be spreading it. Sanitizer and hand washing don’t stop the spread of aerosols. A density reduction and masks may help. #bced #bcpoli

Because our politicians are playing politics, it’s pretty obvious.

That became pretty apparent in those recordings involving Albertas health minister.

Politicians listen to their health ministers until it’s no longer convenient to them.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 1
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic