The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Russ said:

course diss GIF

We did know it was gonna hit harder once everyone was back inside.  Had to expect the goalposts to move.  All I hope is it stays manageable for hospitals.  Sister works at one and said ER is busy as hell

And I would say, given the weather, we are just starting to spend time inside.  Dec-mar is going to be rough

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The deniers are so brash and rude about it all.  Was going to Tisol for pet food when I noticed two people waiting outside the door in front of me.  Assumed the store was at maximum capacity, but then saw through the windows only a couple of people inside.  Asked them why they were waiting and they pointed to a woman who'd made her purchase who was standing in the pathway pretty much blocking the entrance to the store (they have a disinfecting "station" set up there so limited space).  She was chatting to a woman behind the counter.

We waited.  And waited some more.  

Then I opened the door and asked, politely, if she could please (used that word) move over a few feet to the right so we could enter the store.  By this time, there were 4 of us waiting and she saw that.

She barked out "in a minute".  I went back outside and waited and she was seemingly not caring at all and continued to talk.  I let it go about another minute before I opened the door back up and told her there was a line up and she needed to move.  Not as politely.  I was doing Dad's shopping and had to get to his place to feed his cat and, by this time, I'd spent 10 minutes waiting for her little social visit to end.

We're talking a grey haired lady likely in her 70's....well dressed and seemingly rather well to do (sense of entitlement).  I say this because she got into her fancy car that was parked in the (5 minute?) limited time parking which I'm sure she'd exceeded.  Here we're making an effort to protect the vulnerable and she's likely in that very group.

As she came out she, again, barked something at me/us.  At which point, I'd had enough of her attitude and told her to observe social distancing and pointed to the huge sign right on the door asking us to do so.  Then she revealed her true idiocy.  Yelled "you people are going to kill us with your stress and worry you're putting on us....this is fake.  There is no virus".   Slammed her car door like a champion.

Sigh.  It's exhausting enough without having to contend with fools out there.  Who apparently all got a free pass in the mail saying "it's ok to act like obnoxious clowns free trial".  Look, I get that some older people maybe don't get to talk to people much....but it's no excuse to be rude.  We all are stressed and needing to follow the same guidelines to be fair and consistent.  This woman was such a b.

Be kind my ass...my new saying is if you're unkind you'll get fined.  And maybe a good swift kick in the behind.  Give us our space.

I'm honestly at the point where I spend a lot of brainpower fantasizing about meeting up with an anti masker throwing a tantrum in a store and i get to make good use of my 6'2, 220lb frame and my increasingly low tolerance for these people.

• Cheers 4

10 hours ago, kurtis said:

So here is a honest question. I will give this place as an example. I'm sure their are many more like this. The Canadian Tire in Port Coquitlam is a mad house. They have placed all of their seasonal decor and lights on one side of the store. ALL of the lights extend along the side wall for about 20 meters or so. The isle is 5 to 6 feet wide. They have placed markings and signs directing for one way only. It was a mad house on Sunday afternoon and NO ONE was following the arrows. They have a limit of how many can be in the store at once and about 80% of the people were at the lights it seemed. People were all jammed in a small area all going back and forth bumping into each other.

How can a company of this size get away with this??? If this was a small business, it would have been fined like crazy. I'm sure the church service that was fined in Langley had better spacing then what was going on in that place!  

People seem to think that just because they are wearing a simple mask, it gives them the right and ok to come into your personal bubble to move by you in the wrong direction! More and more evidence is coming out that the general masks we are using are not all that great when it comes to stopping the spread. I see a lot of terrible looking masks out in the public. People need higher grade masks like N95s ect.

Very frustrating outing. Is this the fault of the complete lack of awareness of the general population or the store that doesn't seem to know what they are doing.  After this experience of holiday shopping, I think I'm going to listen to my gut and buy everything online. Oh and don't get me started on Costco... :(

Report it. 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm honestly at the point where I spend a lot of brainpower fantasizing about meeting up with an anti masker throwing a tantrum in a store and i get to make good use of my 6'2, 220lb frame and my increasingly low tolerance for these people.

Make sure you have CDC on your phone. I think of a lot of us would gladly give bail money to twist some covididiot out of shape and send them to the hospital for some education. 

• Like 1

I was at Save-On last night, got the groceries I need. I now try to make a habit of talking to the cashier. Asking them if everyone is behaving. She says about 90% are wearing masks and following the rules. But you get the odd one who makes life hell for the staff. As she says it only takes one to ruin your whole day. Boy I know that feeling. 

I think if the general public just let's the staff know they appreciate the hard work, hopefully it will make things easier for folks, and we can get through this together. 

Even the security guard who helps with the flow of customers to the cashiers. Doesn't take much to just give them a quick thank you.

But the tinfoil hat brigade is enough to drive people to drink. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As blind as the Public Health Office has been to the scientific facts relating to this pandemic, I somehow doubt they would be so incompetent as to have a facility on reserve and leave it un(der)staffed and un(der)provisioned.

planning is one thing, implementation quite another. Particularly when there's intense competition for the same equipment. 

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was at Save-On last night, got the groceries I need. I now try to make a habit of talking to the cashier. Asking them if everyone is behaving. She says about 90% are wearing masks and following the rules. But you get the odd one who makes life hell for the staff. As she says it only takes one to ruin your whole day. Boy I know that feeling. 

I think if the general public just let's the staff know they appreciate the hard work, hopefully it will make things easier for folks, and we can get through this together. 

Even the security guard who helps with the flow of customers to the cashiers. Doesn't take much to just give them a quick thank you.

I always try to at least say "hi" to these folks. Lets not treat them like furniture.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But the tinfoil hat brigade is enough to drive people to drink. 

Its the religious ones that are really burning my cookies. No you don't have a constitutional right to gather and then create a health risk. What god would approve of or demand that? 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh, I didn't realize that you needed help from the opposition when you have a commanding majority. Noted. 

His entire feed is full of nothing but blaming everyone else for the issues in Alberta for covid.

It's so sad really...

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why change your tune when they all still dance to it? 

New leaked files today show that Alberta health is under so much strain, that some centres face potential collapse in regards to their ability to provide care.

Guess we'll see what happens there.  Jason Kenny knows who is at fault of course, those pesky NE Calgarians.  Nothing at all to do with the hundreds or thousands of anti mask protestors.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Since we're being hit pretty hard by this 2nd wave, it's probably only a matter of time at this point before the convention centre is brought into service.  It's being used as overflow for non-coronavirus situations, but I would expect that the hospitals would need to pivot quickly to create ICU capacity if there's an uptick of ICU need, which is when this facility would be used (ie. to treat those being displaced).  

At that time, we'll get to see just how competent our provincial and regional PHAs are.  :frantic:

man, I don't know how they would really do that. ICU's are just too complex to pop up. I think thats why were seeing far more deaths in long term care homes and not hospitals now, they're trying to treat people in place more. 

I can't blame our governments (feds or provincial) for whats going on. I do think Horgan needs to be more present in the media, and we need much more harsh enforcement like fines, etc., but from a hospital capacity pov I don't see from an actual practical pov what more they could really do.

Thankfully the quick advances in treatments has brought down the need and panic over ventilators we saw early on. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

New leaked files today show that Alberta health is under so much strain, that some centres face potential collapse in regards to their ability to provide care.

Guess we'll see what happens there.  Jason Kenny knows who is at fault of course, those pesky NE Calgarians.  Nothing at all to do with the hundreds or thousands of anti mask protestors.

they'll try to use it as an excuse to justify privatizing more care, thats the bet I'd make. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they'll try to use it as an excuse to justify privatizing more care, thats the bet I'd make. 

They already are in fact

https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/icus-in-alberta-are-drowning-say-doctors-ive-never-had-this-happen-in-all-my-years-of-practice/?fbclid=IwAR0KZ7NqgJunzHUSjYEvIqqe4LlxQ5-lxK5hRLad9LuRR5viK1XlYCPvRWY

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

'm honestly at the point where I spend a lot of brainpower fantasizing about meeting up with an anti masker throwing a tantrum in a store and i get to make good use of my 6'2, 220lb frame and my increasingly low tolerance for these people

Same here! Me and my 5'7", 236 lb frame are right behind you!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

4 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Same here! Me and my 5'7", 236 lb frame are right behind you!

Same here, also 6’4” 260lb body, that could use anti masker as a sparring partner!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A response to @Boudrias from the other day muttering something about Liberals failing to ensure Canada had vaccine supply or ability to create and blaming others.

old Bri did a lot of things right, but he screwed the pooch on this one. They failed to support the privatization properly. But that's what happens when you're in too much debt and interest rates are high. 

Its only one of many areas we've given over to the US. We really need to get this capacity back, it literally is a matter of national security.