The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was at Save-On last night, got the groceries I need. I now try to make a habit of talking to the cashier. Asking them if everyone is behaving. She says about 90% are wearing masks and following the rules. But you get the odd one who makes life hell for the staff. As she says it only takes one to ruin your whole day. Boy I know that feeling. 

I think if the general public just let's the staff know they appreciate the hard work, hopefully it will make things easier for folks, and we can get through this together. 

Even the security guard who helps with the flow of customers to the cashiers. Doesn't take much to just give them a quick thank you.

But the tinfoil hat brigade is enough to drive people to drink. 

I just got back from lifelabs had to get bloodwork done.  Amazingly during my time there, 5 different people with no mask.  When told they can't come in without masks, they ask why?  Where can I get a mask?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

I just got back from lifelabs had to get bloodwork done.  Amazingly during my time there, 5 different people with no mask.  When told they can't come in without masks, they ask why?  Where can I get a mask?  

:picard:    Back in June I was at Lifelabs and everyone worse masks and had to wait outside 2 meters apart. Unreal. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

old Bri did a lot of things right, but he screwed the pooch on this one. They failed to support the privatization properly. But that's what happens when you're in too much debt and interest rates are high. 

Its only one of many areas we've given over to the US. We really need to get this capacity back, it literally is a matter of national security. 

Id say food/drug manufacturing/water management are all top issues.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Good thing the Lifelabs in Kerrisdale is just down the road from London Drugs. There's lots of choices there. 

2 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

There are a lot of "Future Darwin Award" winners out there. Hope we have enough certificates for their posthumous awards ceremonies.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have to be conservative and stupid to believe this. Change my mind. 

Just adding to the other lame comments in here... like yours trying to put a political spin on it...

Usually people who bring and combine politics and insults in one are the ones who cannot hold an argument so they turn to politics and shame.

Leonardo Di Caprio Movie GIF by Sony

Edited by debluvscanucks
Harsh
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Just adding to the other lame comments in here... like yours trying to put a political spin on it...

Usually people who bring and combine politics and insults in one are the ones who cannot hold an argument so they turn to politics and shame. 

The guy you posted a  conservative political commentator.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Be kind my ass...my new saying is if you're rude and unkind you'll get fined.  And maybe a good swift kick in the behind.  Give us our space.

Best "Golden Rule" comes from the Satanic Bible:

"Do unto others as they do unto you".   If people treat you wrong, do them wrong in return.

The old lady  you talked about? As she drives away call the cops and report a suspected  impaired driver. You would not be lying, the old biddy was definitely impaired, in her ability to think.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Maybe they thought Lifelabs was a school.... covid doesn't  transmit in schools....

• Wat 1

Canada PM Trudeau indicates U.S. border restrictions to last a long time

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada will not agree to lifting a ban on non-essential travel with the United States until the coronavirus outbreak is significantly under control around the world, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday.

Trudeau's comments were a clear indication that the border restrictions will last well into 2021. The two neighbors agreed to the ban in March and have rolled it over on a monthly basis ever since.

The ban does not affect trade. The two countries have highly integrated economies and Canada sends 75% of its goods exports to the United States every month.

"Until the virus is significantly more under control everywhere around the world, we're not going to be releasing the restrictions at the border," Trudeau told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. when asked about the issue.

"We are incredibly lucky that trade in essential goods, in agricultural products, in pharmaceuticals is flowing back and forth as it always has," he said.

Trudeau spoke the day after his minority Liberal government said the budget deficit would hit a historic C$381.6 billion ($294.7 billion) on COVID-19 aid and promised to spend an additional C$100 billion in stimulus.

Trudeau, who relies on other parties to govern, would be toppled if the House of Commons votes against the measures but he dismissed that as unlikely.

"I am reasonably confident none of the opposition parties wants an election right now," he later told reporters.

The border restrictions are opposed by the travel industry, hit by a slumping number of tourists.

But the premiers of Canada's major provinces say they have no interest in re-opening the border as long as cases of COVID-19 escalate in the United States.

A second wave is also sweeping across Canada, where authorities are starting to re-impose restrictions on businesses and limit the size of gatherings.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

uh huh. So the "change my mind guy" isn't a con thing. Gotcha. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm honestly at the point where I spend a lot of brainpower fantasizing about meeting up with an anti masker throwing a tantrum in a store and i get to make good use of my 6'2, 220lb frame and my increasingly low tolerance for these people.

I do too!  Although I'm a gal, not as tall or heavy as you, but honestly, I'd like to take a couple of shots before I got the crap kicked out of me.  It would feel sooooooo good!  Well, until I got the crap kicked out of me.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I betcha when push comes to shove and she's forced to reckon with the school spreader situation and calls for her to explain why she wouldn't mandate masks in the classroom, her reasoning will be some kind of day-old caked bs like "it's impossible to enforce and unfair to the teachers to have to enforce it".  :picard:

Perhaps you're on the right track - but teacher's wouldn't be responsible for enforcing it, administration would.  Therefore I highly suspect one of the reasons Dr. B won't mandate masks at schools is that one of the end-consequences of not obeying the mask mandate would be to send kids home from school who fail to comply - this would lead to thousands of kids in the larger districts being sent home daily and parents would be livid about this and the government doesn't want the backlash. 

I've actually heard a senior manager of a large health authority say, that one of the reasons Dr. B and Horgan won't mandate masks in schools is that it unfairly targets low-income families and they don't want the negative optics of that coming back on their government - their words, not mine remember.  How does it target low-income families you ask - well if little Johnny in grade 4 in West Van refuses to wear a mask then the teacher informs the administration and the administration calls home and Johnny's stay-at-home mom who's husband makes a mid 6 figure salary comes and gets him and he and mom spend the afternoon together at home making Christmas cookies.  But if little Billy across town in DTES refuses to wear a mask the administrator calls his single-parent living paycheque-to-paycheque mom making minimum wage and her boss gives her a hard time and/or gives her shift away to a co-worker with no kids because Billy's mom has to pick up Billy then this is BAD OPTICS for Dr. B and Horgan won't have that (or maybe Billy's mom dodges the schools calls and eff's the school administrators and that's also an issue).  He'd rather risk lives by having a COVID no-mask potpourri in schools and let the chips fall where they may - because really, there has been no meaningful public large-scale backlash from Dr.B's refusal to mandate masks in schools other than some social media complaining so why would Dr. B (or Horgan) be motivated to change their stance now.......?    

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Perhaps you're on the right track - but teacher's wouldn't be responsible for enforcing it, administration would.  Therefore I highly suspect one of the reasons Dr. B won't mandate masks at schools is that one of the end-consequences of not obeying the mask mandate would be to send kids home from school who fail to comply - this would lead to thousands of kids in the larger districts being sent home daily and parents would be livid about this and the government doesn't want the backlash. 

I've actually heard a senior manager of a large health authority say, that one of the reasons Dr. B and Horgan won't mandate masks in schools is that it unfairly targets low-income families and they don't want the negative optics of that coming back on their government - their words, not mine remember.  How does it target low-income families you ask - well if little Johnny in grade 4 in West Van refuses to wear a mask then the teacher informs the administration and the administration calls home and Johnny's stay-at-home mom who's husband makes a mid 6 figure salary comes and gets him and he and mom spend the afternoon together at home making Christmas cookies.  But if little Billy across town in DTES refuses to wear a mask the administrator calls his single-parent living paycheque-to-paycheque mom making minimum wage and her boss gives her a hard time and/or gives her shift away to a co-worker with no kids because Billy's mom has to pick up Billy then this is BAD OPTICS for Dr. B and Horgan won't have that (or maybe Billy's mom dodges the schools calls and eff's the school administrators and that's also an issue).  He'd rather risk lives by having a COVID no-mask potpourri in schools and let the chips fall where they may - because really, there has been no meaningful public large-scale backlash from Dr.B's refusal to mandate masks in schools other than some social media complaining so why would Dr. B (or Horgan) be motivated to change their stance now.......?    

There's a 'keep your kids home' protest happening today actually.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's a 'keep your kids home' protest happening today actually.

LOL....I already texted my high-school teacher rec-hockey teammate about it - no- we're not playing hockey anymore:(.  

He said it was a joke, no more noticeable absences from his school than any other day.....I will ask my elementary school teacher neighbor about it when I see her sometime this week.   Perhaps people forget, but this isn't the first time there was a 'keep kids home' protest - the last one was equally futile. 

When it comes right down to it, parents need child-care more than they need to protest lack of mask mandates it seems.....