The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, IRR said:

Tired of the bullshiz on FB...so posted my thoughts re: the vaccine...

Re: Covid Vaccine...

1) Before i say anything, of course everyone wants it to be safe / effective, first & foremost.

2) Unless you have a crystal ball (to see long term effects) & you can test it yourself, then you need to put trust / put faith in the scientist / companies / government involved.

3) Re: it's quick development...you need to keep in mind the large amount of scientist / companies working on it this time around. Also, technology is miles ahead of where it was even 5-10 years ago, let alone 25-30 years ago. We have tools we never had in the past.

4) You can talk about the potential side effects of a vaccine, but what about the potential serious side effects (long term) / potential death from covid.

5) Again, at the end of the day, it's not just about you...people have long term serious side effects from covid, people are dying from covid, people are losing loved ones to covid, doctors & nurses are struggling due to covid, teachers are struggling due to covid, kids & young adults are dying WAY to young due to covid & much more.

6) While you shouldn't assume the worst, you also shouldn't assume it'll be fine / it won't happen to me. As they say, assuming makes an a** out of you & me.

7) It's about the big picture & taking care of each other, not about being selfish / entitled!

A month or two ago I was in the camp of "I'll take the vaccine but don't necessarily need to be first in line" so I really do get that perspective.  However, the more I think about it, I'm fine being at the front (if I elected to be).  I trust the scientific community to do it's due diligence.  I'll also make the assumption that this vaccine doesn't contain anything ground breakingly different than other vaccines so that I'll guess the odds of negative long term side effects of the vaccine are vastly lower than negative long term side effects of having Covid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I think it's more a rural mentality of people thinking other people are "sissys" for wearing a mask and crap like that. Plus there hasn't been a lot of cases up until now, at least up here. People let their guard down a little too much.

Nothing to do with schools. I know why you decided to talk about schools. We could be talking about the most unrelated thing and you'd still cling it to schools at this point. lol

The Okanagan isn't rural, just full of god awful dbags

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Okanagan isn't rural, just full of god awful dbags

lol I can't speak for the Okanagan. I actually kind of look at them as not so rural outside of the obvious rural areas. I'm talking about Northern BC.

Edited by The Lock

Iran, Russia and China are putting disinformation out there about COVID in Canada, spreading falsehoods and conspiracy theories to increase distrust in Government and health officials.  Seems like Albertans are buying in hook, line and sinker.

CSIS has identified the threat assessments (170 records).  Russia's attempts are to discredit the west and China's hopping on board to protect their reputation.

So don't believe everything you read...foreign actors.  Was a report on Global news just now.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kurtis said:

For all we know Covid is still going crazy in China. I bet their deaths were A LOT more then actually reported. Maybe like the states numbers??? Now they are spreading fake news here in Canada. 

yes, we don't need Chinese fake news here in BC.... we get enough fake news already from Dr B and Horgan......

• Haha 2

105 children tested positive over the last 24 hours. Must be all those dance classes still open #bced #bcpoli #covid19bc #StepUpOrStepDownDBH

David Walsh @DavidWa59907969 
 4h
Of the 694 new #covid19 cases in BC, 62 were in children age 10-19 and 43 were in children under age 10. 105 children or 15.1% of new cases. But don't worry, these 105 children didn't contract the virus in a school. Maybe dance class. #bced #bcpoli

This may have already been discussed in this group, but this is kind of a weird story that throws the Covid 19 timeline out of whack:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201115/covid_19_circulated_in_italy_earlier_than_thought

The novel coronavirus was circulating in Italy as early as September 2019, according to a new study by the country’s national cancer institute, which looked for the virus in blood samples in Milan.

That means the coronavirus may have spread beyond China months earlier than scientists originally believed, according to Reuters.

According to the study, Italy’s first documented COVID-19 patient was on Feb. 21 in a small town near Milan. However, the researchers knew the virus was likely circulating before that, so they analyzed blood samples of people enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 to March 2020.

They found COVID-19 antibodies in 111 of 959 people, or nearly 12%. About 14% of the positive blood samples were drawn in September, with a cluster of cases (about 30% of the positives) popping up during the second week of February.

“This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified,” the authors wrote. “Finding SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in asymptomatic people before the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy may reshape the history of pandemic.”

The World Health Organization said Monday that it would contact the researchers and review the results, Reuters reported. The organization may further analyze samples and verify the data, and the Italian researchers plan to continue their work as well.

If the initial history of the pandemic shifts, public health officials may need to consider new screening tools to test people who don’t have COVID-19 symptoms. Better screening could contain future waves of the pandemic and asymptomatic spread, the authors wrote.

“The new coronavirus can circulate among the population for a long time and with a low rate of lethality, not because it is disappearing, only to surge again,” Giovanni Apolone, one of the co-authors, told Reuters.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Pfizer already cutting production numbers!

There were always going to be hiccups along the way.

This kind of rapid mass production has never been done.

Moderna and Astrazenaca will have their own hurdles Im sure.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

This may have already been discussed in this group, but this is kind of a weird story that throws the Covid 19 timeline out of whack:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201115/covid_19_circulated_in_italy_earlier_than_thought

The novel coronavirus was circulating in Italy as early as September 2019, according to a new study by the country’s national cancer institute, which looked for the virus in blood samples in Milan.

That means the coronavirus may have spread beyond China months earlier than scientists originally believed, according to Reuters.

According to the study, Italy’s first documented COVID-19 patient was on Feb. 21 in a small town near Milan. However, the researchers knew the virus was likely circulating before that, so they analyzed blood samples of people enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 to March 2020.

They found COVID-19 antibodies in 111 of 959 people, or nearly 12%. About 14% of the positive blood samples were drawn in September, with a cluster of cases (about 30% of the positives) popping up during the second week of February.

“This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified,” the authors wrote. “Finding SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in asymptomatic people before the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy may reshape the history of pandemic.”

The World Health Organization said Monday that it would contact the researchers and review the results, Reuters reported. The organization may further analyze samples and verify the data, and the Italian researchers plan to continue their work as well.

If the initial history of the pandemic shifts, public health officials may need to consider new screening tools to test people who don’t have COVID-19 symptoms. Better screening could contain future waves of the pandemic and asymptomatic spread, the authors wrote.

“The new coronavirus can circulate among the population for a long time and with a low rate of lethality, not because it is disappearing, only to surge again,” Giovanni Apolone, one of the co-authors, told Reuters.

I have always wondered how long it has been around.  It didn't suddenly op out of no where but it must have been festering for a while.  Wonder how many of those people had bad symptoms before and doctors didn't know why?  Or could they just have thought they had a general cold?  Not a surprise for Italy, the fact they have a chinese factory there that many people from Wuhan would fly to was their biggest culprit.