The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Poster is unable to understand that the covid precautions, most of have been taking, is a key to lowering both covid and normal flu cases.

Their mind was made up and they went and found "evidence" that backs their opinion.

Nope. 

It would make sense if covid cases are decreasing together with seasonal flu, but no.

Covid cases actually rose by 8% compared to the previous 2 weeks.

So your covid precautions clearly isn't a factor here at all.

Covid is up, seasonal flu down.

Come in, it's not that hard to add them up 

Edited by Quinn Skates
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Hey fellow Canuck fans!  I just want to give a shout-out to the mods on this page. They volunteered to moderate a forum about hockey and yet have stuck around to deal with a forum that talks about masks and vaccines more than the sport we all love. 
In addition, despite some very different opinions, the ability to hide behind a false name and all the stress of the season it is relatively civil in here. In other types of social media it’s like a war zone being dominated by crazy people (from both sides of every imaginable topic) but here I seem to be able to debate in a mostly friendly way. Thanks everyone! Now back to your regularly scheduled fighting about things well beyond our control

Hear Hear!

I second this thought.

The mods on this site are the best.

Thanks mods for all your awesome work.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Something is definitely up.

They're inflating the covid numbers so it looks worse than it actually is.

It has always been the case but people don't believe it.

That data right there is a very clear proof.

How can that be explained otherwise?

Morgues are overflowing. 

Hospitals are maxed out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Something is definitely up.

They're inflating the covid numbers so it looks worse than it actually is.

It has always been the case but people don't believe it.

That data right there is a very clear proof.

How can that be explained otherwise?

I'm open minded, can you provide that proof?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Nope. 

It would make sense if covid cases are decreasing together with seasonal flu, but no.

Covid cases actually rose by 8% compared to the previous 2 weeks.

So your covid precautions clearly isn't a factor here at all.

Covid is up, seasonal flu down.

Come in, it's not that hard to add them up 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

you're a little late to the party pal.  

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Hey fellow Canuck fans!  I just want to give a shout-out to the mods on this page. They volunteered to moderate a forum about hockey and yet have stuck around to deal with a forum that talks about masks and vaccines more than the sport we all love. 
In addition, despite some very different opinions, the ability to hide behind a false name and all the stress of the season it is relatively civil in here. In other types of social media it’s like a war zone being dominated by crazy people (from both sides of every imaginable topic) but here I seem to be able to debate in a mostly friendly way. Thanks everyone! Now back to your regularly scheduled fighting about things well beyond our control

Agreed. I also want to point out that they also leave enough room for people to debate and hash out differences. I remember my first post on another hockey forum (more tame than I normally post here even) and I got a warning. So props to the moderators here to allow for debate and not let people just "hide" behind their feelings without any debate.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Of course it isn't. But preventing people from going about their daily lives is a form of that. You can't go to work, you can't do this, you can't do that: get the vaccine or else. That isn't sound policy at all. Global and CBC have already discussed this and while it seems "unlikely", it hasn't been ruled out completely. People should be cautious about what they put in their bodies instead especially when they don't need it of bending over backwards.

good god, no its isn't. What part of being in a once in a century pandemic is lost on people? 

• Vintage 3

33 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I can take a stab at explaining this for you. 
1.  Social distancing and masks work even better for something that doesn’t have the incredible infectivity of COVID. 
2.  Flu shot uptake this year has been good. I have been telling patients all along that if you never got the flu shot before, this is the year. 
3.  Decreased travel particularly from Asia has decreased the seeding of the flu in NA. 
4.  Less people being tested for the flu because they go get tested for COVID when they get sick. There is a bias away from flu testing as the bias for COVID testing has taken over. 
5.  It is way early in the flu season. 
6.  Nursing home transmission in particular is way down because of the social distancing and other methods. 

People have been using the seasonal flu foolishly as a comparator for COVID.  The impression I have taken from this is that people really don’t understand influenza and how sick that it makes you. Some of that is a language thing, people often use the descriptor of the flu for viral gastroenteritis, which I have never understood, and confounds the seriousness of the flu with a relatively minor illness. Man colds are often interpreted as the flu because we are such a whiny group that can’t believe that feeling bad could simply be a cold.   

4. So it's true. If those that got tested for covid actually got a seasonal flu test instead, then it would have been the seasonal flu and not covid.

5. It's early in the flu season, but CDC compares the same point in time as in previous years. 

Lastly, so this will be an annual concurrence now just like the seasonal flu. Covid will never go away. What's the need for over reaction then? We never locked down with the seasonal flu. And if covid keeps coming back, what's the lockdown for? 

• Wat 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@debluvscanucks do we really need to see this? people like this should be banned. 

knock off this crap please. What is it these days with conspiracy nuts coming out of the woodwork? 

Oh so you can't question the narrative now? Is that what you want? That you just keep your mouth shut and follow whatever order is given you? Is that how democracy and a civilized society works? We all keep fighting for equality and inclusion but seems like most of us don't know how to use those rights.

• Wat 2

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

we could have had it as masks and distancing, but the same people crying about the loss of freedoms over a mask are the same people driving us toward a shutdown.  We could have that balance if everyone had pulled in the same direction........but we didn't.  We had an element of the population who felt they knew more than medical experts and who get suckered into the ridiculous conspiracy theories about an "authoritarian reset"..........it's because those people didn't want to listen to experts that we are in the situation we are in.

There's one element of our country to point the finger at, and it's not the government

I'm continually fascinated/frustrated by people, many of whom I think are doing some level of following of guidelines, but also looking for loopholes.  

The most recent expansion of the public health order to put a temporary halt on adult team sports - and how many twitter posts I've seen about - well, my sport isn't mentioned so I should be able to play x y or Z.  Complaints that orders aren't specific enough.  For weeks now if not longer the guidelines have been to stay at home and not group together.  Many people stopped playing sports as a result.  For the rest, it's like....yeh, we all need to do all these things except....when it impacts me personally in the one thing I love.  

We'd get through this perhaps more quickly if we shut down everything that didn't generate a job or revenue to someone.  People seem to think they can't live without (insert activity here) for a month or two.  Listened again yesterday to the Burnaby RCMP report of how many houseparties they had to break up and ticket in November.  WTH??????

What most of us are not privy to is the data and information that Public Health has that their decisions are based on.  I'm sure there have been outbreaks as a result of team sports because adults aren't always good at policing themselves and avoiding the social gatherings that come with team sports.  Or hey, traveling to a COVID hotspot out of province then bringing the disease back with the team and infecting copious amounts of other people.  

I read an article last night about how COVID patients are now being transferred out of Northern BC to hospitals in the south because they don't have enough equipment or staff to deal with the increasing numbers.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1