The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

People really don't know the meaning of the word tyranny if they think it's what they're currently experiencing. 

Without question the same people who think what Canada did to the indigenous people was "reasonable".

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-christmas-anti-mask-protest-photos?fbclid=IwAR111hDYFqZtf8FWlRNleYRYJdxGqNTLEeLsYoD_GBkiLPzYf_DQpXq0AbE

I despise the spineless politicians we have so-called "leading" our country in this pandemic.
If you can't even so much as practice what you preach (banning large gatherings and following through with it) I have less than zero respect for them.
What kind of a crappy world do we live in now that, with our tax dollars, they're just paid to do PR and not actually enforce things for our city's good?
It's people and situations like these that make me want to just not give a crap about the authorities' empty words.

I'd rather watch stand-up if I wanted to hear a good joke from a joker.  

My good buddy's friend was one of them.Hes completely &^@#ed in the head thinks bill gates wants to do a bunch of sketchy $&!# to people total trump supporter.

• Wat 1

I just found out that a friend of mine who I work with tested positive,  he didnt have a fever or any drastic symptoms but he missed a day of work for feeling under the weather and took a covid test for peace of mind.

My boss let me know because I have been in contact with him all week, for my own peace of mind. But he said that since I'm not showing symptoms I dont need to quarantine, even though I've been in close contact with him.

Nor can I afford to miss work anyway, and I'm not taking a test because there is no point as I'm not showing symptoms, and my wife is 39 weeks pregnant  and if I test positive and am a-symptomatic then my wife will be delivering our baby girl alone, which is something neither of us want.

Anyway what I'm getting at is these numbers are grossly inflated because people get tested who don't even need to get tested. Many people have the flu virus in their system every year but keep on keeping on cause the Bill's dont stop. But with the fear machine media talking about covid every second,  more and more people will get tested even if they dont have symptoms.

• Wat 1

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/05/vancouver-demonstrators-protesting-covid-restrictions/
[City Councilman Pete Fry expressing frustration re: the protest taking place today]
While it’s difficult to enforce orders with large crowd gatherings, Fry told NEWS 1130 it may be time the province ramps up its response to these public health and safety threats in a more assertive way.

[VPD response from spokesperson]
Tania Visintin with the VPD explains officers support people’s right to peaceful protest whether or not they agree with what is being protested.  She says the VPD needs to exercise discretion with mass protestors violating public health orders saying public safety is the priority.  And she adds mass arrests or ticketing could escalate an already tense situation with protestors.

“This position does not automatically guarantee anyone special privileges at a protest. The bottom line is people who are contravening the public health order, they could be issued a ticket. Officers are using discretion with each situation that arises.”

Great.  So basically the government's enforcement arm (the police) is telling its brain that it doesn't want to escalate things, when what the protestors are doing are in direct violation of health orders.  With a passive stance like this (and an apparent willingness to fine individuals for eating out at restaurants when they aren't in the same household), I've officially lost respect for this good-for-nothing force.    

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Uh, would you rather pass on your possible infection to your pregnant wife instead of getting a test and isolating yourself from her?

Have you not learned anything from that poor pregnant woman who had to give birth while in a medically induced coma?

You don’t seem to be taking your possible exposure seriously enough, and that’s a shame. 

It's not even anti-maskers it's basically clueless people like this that don't understand or don't put in the time to understand simple concepts like it doesn't matter if YOU are asymptomatic you can pass this on. Honestly though it doesn't surprise me. We are all humans, maybe too many of us on this planet. I know a couple friends that would be that dumb too but they are pretty decent folks. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

A day in the life of a COVID ward doctor in AB - for anyone that still thinks this virus isn't a big deal, being blown out of proportion, not much to worry about, please read this.

A thread. Day in The Life of a COVID ward doctor.
Wake up, anxious of the unpredictability of the day. Start day, 7:30am. Survey ward, check how many new admissions, ward transfers, and deaths occurred overnight. Receive handover from overnight covering doc. Ensure PPE in check.

Start rounding. Get interuppted for more handovers of new admitted patients. Coordinate with other COVID teams as to who will become MRP (most responsible provider) for new patients as they come in. Continue rounding. 
Get urgent call to see patient suddenly needing 60L of oxygen. Try to quickly but safely put on all appropriate PPE, including N95. While in room, someone yells in that patient across the hall is also desaturating. Ask nurse to call rapid response team to help. 
Call ICU on patient you are currently seeing, hoping there is capacity. Try to call family of crashing patient while frantically giving orders for the other crashing patient. Receive message that ER is at capacity, can we try to get our discharges out?
Try to discharge in between crashing patients so we can empty beds for new patients coming in. Call community doctor to give handover, but get interuppted to review results of 2nd crashing patient. Lose train of thought, and forget to call community doctor. Send 1 patient to ICU. 
Call family of next patient who was crashing and change goals of care to palliation and try to arrange FaceTime so they can say goodbye if time allows. Go back to trying to discharge patient. Receive call from ICU to take patient from them onto ward 
So they can create capacity for their next critical patient. Have 10 minutes of repreive, and realize you still have 21 patients to see and it's already 13:00. Continue rounding, but now patient having stroke while covid+. Initiate rapid response again. 
Manage this patient, and finally get to round. Update families after each patient. It is now 16:00, and I am unclear if I've even gone to the bathroom all day. Finish the day at 21:00, not having eaten. Go home, shower, decontaminate, and get ready to repeat tomorrow. #COVID19AB 
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If the science says wearing masks makes sense then I support it. Governments are not enforcing things universally. The S.E.Asian communities are street protesting about conditions in India across Canada. Little apparent pushback from authorities. Yet churches that want to have services with masks and distancing are being fined. People under emotional distress need support and churches can help. There should be a way to help them.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

If the science says wearing masks makes sense then I support it. Governments are not enforcing things universally. The S.E.Asian communities are street protesting about conditions in India across Canada. Little apparent pushback from authorities. Yet churches that want to have services with masks and distancing are being fined. People under emotional distress need support and churches can help. There should be a way to help them.

Churches are a known area of transmission.  We all need comfort, we all have to find new ways of finding that comfort.  Theres no need for them to gather together at church, they can pray at home.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, skategal said:

A day in the life of a COVID ward doctor in AB - for anyone that still thinks this virus isn't a big deal, being blown out of proportion, not much to worry about, please read this.

A thread. Day in The Life of a COVID ward doctor.
Wake up, anxious of the unpredictability of the day. Start day, 7:30am. Survey ward, check how many new admissions, ward transfers, and deaths occurred overnight. Receive handover from overnight covering doc. Ensure PPE in check.

Start rounding. Get interuppted for more handovers of new admitted patients. Coordinate with other COVID teams as to who will become MRP (most responsible provider) for new patients as they come in. Continue rounding. 
Get urgent call to see patient suddenly needing 60L of oxygen. Try to quickly but safely put on all appropriate PPE, including N95. While in room, someone yells in that patient across the hall is also desaturating. Ask nurse to call rapid response team to help. 
Call ICU on patient you are currently seeing, hoping there is capacity. Try to call family of crashing patient while frantically giving orders for the other crashing patient. Receive message that ER is at capacity, can we try to get our discharges out?
Try to discharge in between crashing patients so we can empty beds for new patients coming in. Call community doctor to give handover, but get interuppted to review results of 2nd crashing patient. Lose train of thought, and forget to call community doctor. Send 1 patient to ICU. 
Call family of next patient who was crashing and change goals of care to palliation and try to arrange FaceTime so they can say goodbye if time allows. Go back to trying to discharge patient. Receive call from ICU to take patient from them onto ward 
So they can create capacity for their next critical patient. Have 10 minutes of repreive, and realize you still have 21 patients to see and it's already 13:00. Continue rounding, but now patient having stroke while covid+. Initiate rapid response again. 
Manage this patient, and finally get to round. Update families after each patient. It is now 16:00, and I am unclear if I've even gone to the bathroom all day. Finish the day at 21:00, not having eaten. Go home, shower, decontaminate, and get ready to repeat tomorrow. #COVID19AB 

Ugh.   So many news stories about folks dying - and many of them not sure how this happened to them, and in the US in particular believed Trumps messages that it wasn’t a big deal (so dying and feeling betrayed).    Wish folks would stop going out like it’s business as usual.   Covid fatigue makes an easy justification for a night out or whatever.   Here in ONT it’s pretty much everywhere.  During the first wave and the lockdown nobody was driving around...well few.   Over the past month with case levels well beyond where they were at during the first wave just going to get groceries it’s crazy how many cars are out there again.   Like nothing happened, like we are safe because we have masks and social distancing (which never happens in any stores I’ve been too - except for the first lock down).   And folks have had plenty of time to adapt now.   It’s almost rude.

I get that people need to work....but they certainly really don’t need any participation in “non-essential” activities once work is done.   Can still support small business in other ways. 

Small town of 5k...and we’ve got 22 cases or so at the moment.   School shut down 300 kids for two weeks and managed to keep it from spreading there (grade school) so far.   Zero social distancing there - it’s virtually impossible to do.   The vaccine couldn’t get here any quicker.    January-February we should all be prepared for another lock-down at this point.   And be vigilant in cutting our trips to the grocery store to twice a month at most.   Fresh veggies aren’t that important.  Neither is Christmas dinner.   The hypocrisy is showing all over the place, and for sure my family is guilty too.   2020 couldn’t go away fast enough. 

• Huggy Bear 3

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/05/vancouver-demonstrators-protesting-covid-restrictions/
[City Councilman Pete Fry expressing frustration re: the protest taking place today]
While it’s difficult to enforce orders with large crowd gatherings, Fry told NEWS 1130 it may be time the province ramps up its response to these public health and safety threats in a more assertive way.

[VPD response from spokesperson]
Tania Visintin with the VPD explains officers support people’s right to peaceful protest whether or not they agree with what is being protested.  She says the VPD needs to exercise discretion with mass protestors violating public health orders saying public safety is the priority.  And she adds mass arrests or ticketing could escalate an already tense situation with protestors.

“This position does not automatically guarantee anyone special privileges at a protest. The bottom line is people who are contravening the public health order, they could be issued a ticket. Officers are using discretion with each situation that arises.”

Great.  So basically the government's enforcement arm (the police) is telling its brain that it doesn't want to escalate things, when what the protestors are doing are in direct violation of health orders.  With a passive stance like this (and an apparent willingness to fine individuals for eating out at restaurants when they aren't in the same household), I've officially lost respect for this good-for-nothing force.    

I understand the frustration with what we see as rule abiding citizens when there is a group of people that apparently flaunt the law and don't abide by orders and regulations.  

I can also understand the VPD (or any police force) reluctance to move in and try to enforce the law with these protesters.  We've all seen video from Hong Kong where police are in riot gear in the streets with batons, water cannons, running into crowds and dragging peaceful protesters away and throwing them in jail. IMHO if that were to occur in the streets in Vancouver that would throw a huge magnifying glass onto the protesters and give them a much desired platform to escalate their rhetoric.  While people might not be swayed to their thinking, they would potentially garner some sympathy for the way they were treated, police brutality blah blah blah.  It's not like things would go calmly should the police want to enforce the order.  People wouldn't just hold out their hands for cuffs to be put on, wouldn't just quietly walk to the paddy wagon for transport to jail.  It's not a lot different than the idiots that go into an establishment refusing to wear a mask, get all confrontational and then film the interaction and put it on social media.  

Its a tough spot for the police to be in.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  I'd rather they just ensure the risk to public safety is low and let the protesters have their small moment in the sun rather than raise the platform by taking action.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Churches are a known area of transmission.  We all need comfort, we all have to find new ways of finding that comfort.  Theres no need for them to gather together at church, they can pray at home.

It goes a long way to show how misguided these people are. Surely God or whomever they pray to that makes them feel more important than other people doesn't require them to go to church and kill other people in the process.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Uh, would you rather pass on your possible infection to your pregnant wife instead of getting a test and isolating yourself from her?

Have you not learned anything from that poor pregnant woman who had to give birth while in a medically induced coma?

You don’t seem to be taking your possible exposure seriously enough, and that’s a shame. 

My wife doesn't want me to get a test, she wants me in the delivery room with her.

She has to get a covid test next week anyway, prior to delivery. If I am sick I will be responsible but I am fine and healthy as a horse so why get tested?

The fear machine media has many of you  brainwashed 

• Wat 3

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Mind boggling. Based on the rest of his posts it doesn't surprise me. He seems so lazy he'd rather give his newborn kid Covid then lift a muscle, It's the same way he posts about hockey.

Keep being scared.

It is what it is, I also have a 9 year old

If I took a test and tested positive what am I supposed to do? Jail myself in my bedroom and avoid my family while no money gets made to pay for the roof over the head and food on the table of a pregnant woman and a 9 year old?

You can call me lazy all you want but you sound like you live with mom and dad and are a little out of touch with anything that bonny doesny say

Also bonnie and Adrian have both said to keep traffic at testing sites and hospitals down not to get tested unless you show symptoms.

I caught a cold last April and work made me 14 day quarantine paid leave.

Guess what, 32 employees suddenly got "sick" for a 14 day paid vacation

So that's why my employer tells us if you're not sick come to work regardless of contact with said person.

Isnt that what a mask is for?

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Wat 3

5 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Keep being scared.

It is what it is, I also have a 9 year old

If I took a test and tested positive what am I supposed to do? Jail myself in my bedroom and avoid my family while no money gets made to pay for the roof over the head and food on the table of a pregnant woman and a 9 year old?

You can call me lazy all you want but you sound like you live with mom and dad and are a little out of touch with anything that bonny doesny say

Also bonnie and Adrian have both said to keep traffic at testing sites and hospitals down not to get tested unless you show symptoms.

I caught a cold last April and work made me 14 day quarantine paid leave.

Guess what, 32 employees suddenly got "sick" for a 14 day paid vacation

So that's why my employer tells us if you're not sick come to work regardless of contact with said person.

Isnt that what a mask is for?

You're not lazy, just obtuse 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1