The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe it's time for adults to stop believing in fairy tales? Maybe it's time for people to believe in themselves instead of an invisible deity? 

Refraining from group activities can help us all heal from this

No. 

to me spirituality is personal. When it gets organized thats when people start making dumb rules and follow them for fear of exclusion from that group. 

Organized religion is a great control mechanism. It even forces you to vote a certain way now. In the US now you're not a good christian if you're a democrat. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

to me spirituality is personal. When it gets organized thats when people start making dumb rules and follow them for fear of exclusion from that group. 

Organized religion is a great control mechanism. It even forces you to vote a certain way now. In the US now you're not a good christian if you're a democrat. 

Doesn't politics do the same thing? You might make a good libertarian. Isn't modern society about exerting control over people's action, good or bad?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its the bane of our age. Social media has killed us. 

Of all the post apocalyptic narratives that have been written/filmed, from wars to asteroids, zombies etc... It would be almost comical if our undoing is at the hands of 'social media' :lol::picard:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

There's sheep on both sides of the ledger. 

Never forget that. 

Just think for yourselves, find out who is giving the the info. Do they have an agenda? It just means you have to do your homework.

We need to go back to common sense. And sense of community, because we're all in this together. Sadly we're only as good as the worst parts of society. 

Not trust in social media. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Doesn't politics do the same thing? You might make a good libertarian. Isn't modern society about exerting control over people's action, good or bad?

I actually do lean a little bit libertarian on many issues :lol:

The difference between politics and religion is pretty clear tho, I can vote Harper out ,e.g., but I can't shake someones belief in something if they are deep into it. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Of all the post apocalyptic narratives that have been written/filmed, from wars to asteroids, zombies etc... It would be almost comical if our undoing is at the hands of 'social media' :lol::picard:

imagine for a moment if covid had a more deadly effect no one knows about that pops up in 3 years. How many deaths could we link to social media BS... likely millions. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

100%, it should be personal. What the hell is going on? is my favourite question about this existence. 

Organized religions are cults, as you say designed for control.

All the more reason to have complete separation of church and state. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, skategal said:

I understand the frustration with what we see as rule abiding citizens when there is a group of people that apparently flaunt the law and don't abide by orders and regulations.  

I can also understand the VPD (or any police force) reluctance to move in and try to enforce the law with these protesters.  We've all seen video from Hong Kong where police are in riot gear in the streets with batons, water cannons, running into crowds and dragging peaceful protesters away and throwing them in jail. IMHO if that were to occur in the streets in Vancouver that would throw a huge magnifying glass onto the protesters and give them a much desired platform to escalate their rhetoric.  While people might not be swayed to their thinking, they would potentially garner some sympathy for the way they were treated, police brutality blah blah blah.  It's not like things would go calmly should the police want to enforce the order.  People wouldn't just hold out their hands for cuffs to be put on, wouldn't just quietly walk to the paddy wagon for transport to jail.  It's not a lot different than the idiots that go into an establishment refusing to wear a mask, get all confrontational and then film the interaction and put it on social media.  

Its a tough spot for the police to be in.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  I'd rather they just ensure the risk to public safety is low and let the protesters have their small moment in the sun rather than raise the platform by taking action.  

(First of all, IMO the narrative of "keeping Covid numbers low by breaking up gatherings" in HK is for the CCP's repression of freedom of press and speech, but that's a topic that I'd rather not get into at this time, but I doubt we'd see that level of enforcement here).

They could give tickets.  They don't need to drag anyone away, and at most by ticketing the heads/ organizers the most they can say would be "they're violating our rights blah blah blah" when the alternative is basically condoning violators of the written law.  They may believe they're freedom fighters but the objective fact is that this law is in place, but the only way that this law gets respected would be if the governing arm acts at the appropriate time.  Clearly they're too incapable to carry this out.  

To the second bolded point then, if gathering in the public by the hundreds is "low risk to public safety" then I'm meeting up with my safe six again, since that must be way lower risk.  Also, Bonnie better not have anything to say to my doing so since hypocrites don't deserve to exercise double standards in judgment.   

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How do you keep restaurants and bars open to the public where people need to take their mask off to eat or drink in a closed space, but going to church with your mask on and not taking it off is somehow worse.... The logic makes no sense lol. 

It's a bit of a confusing issue for sure.

My thinking is that they're "trying", really hard, to keep businesses open and operating.   Those that are have to submit detailed COVID plans of how they will meet the requirements.  And, as part of that, are subject to random inspections and issuance of fines/penalties.

They're not shutting everything down (which, in my opinion is probably a good option for a few weeks) in order to help places survive.  There is that end of things to consider....people's livelihoods.  So trying to strike a balance while being as protective as possible.

They do pick and choose but I don't feel it's done randomly....they look at the data to see where outbreaks or clusters are more likely to happen and then act accordingly.  It's not really proactive but more reactive and based on ever changing goalposts as this thing moves around.

Bars should be closed in my view because, if nothing more, they have one purpose - to serve alcohol.  And that tends to see people letting their guard down over time.  Seems pretty risky to me.  

Restaurants too...but the difference is that:  you are required to attend only with immediate family, with no table jumping, etc.  It's a fairly controlled environment.  Not sure they have the capability to implement these measures in church.  As well...you can attend a service online....same applies to ordering food so it is a bit convoluted but I try to see the reasoning and there is some there.

Places they can enforce the measures in place versus some that tend to be more difficult.  And places that are at risk of permanent shutdown versus those that can make it through in better shape.  Churches operate with a lot of "help" and fairly low overhead so don't really  "need" people to show up in person to survive.  Unless someone's making $$ which, they're really supposed to be aimed at something much different.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's sheep on both sides of the ledger. 

Never forget that. 

Just think for yourselves, find out who is giving the the info. Do they have an agenda? It just means you have to do your homework.

We need to go back to common sense. And sense of community, because we're all in this together. Sadly we're only as good as the worst parts of society. 

Not trust in social media. 

It means we have to think for ourselves and make our own choices. Let's hope we make the right ones. 

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How do you keep restaurants and bars open to the public where people need to take their mask off to eat or drink in a closed space, but going to church with your mask on and not taking it off is somehow worse.... The logic makes no sense lol. 

Well, you are more spaced apart with a subset of people. So it does make sense. As a society food is neccesary, preaching is not.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

100%, it should be personal. What the hell is going on? is my favourite question about this existence. 

Organized religions are cults, as you say designed for control.

All the more reason to have complete separation of church and state. 

thats so important. You can't be objective about protecting everyones religion if you have e.g. a dominant religion running politics in a country. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well, you are more spaced apart with a subset of people. So it does make sense. As a society food is neccesary, preaching is not.

Government closed churchs as gov collects no money from them

Bar and restos are cash cows for BC gov so no way they close them....

Can't have mom over to your place .... but you can hang out with 100 people at cactus club.... LOL    BC the anti science province.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't "hang out with 100 people at Cactus Club".

'Covid is airborn....  at cactus 100 people are sharing dirty covid infected air.....

BC has an anti science PHO.....

No way restaurants in Fraser Health should be open.. NO way, it goes against all current science.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

'Covid is airborn....  at cactus 100 people are sharing dirty covid infected air.....

I doubt they have 100 people in there at once.  And we can all decide not to go to CC/restaurants...I know I'm avoiding them.  

You can have Mom over if she has no one and it's "essential" to her that you do.  It's just mostly to eliminate family "gatherings" that are social moreso than mental health related.  Because those tend to result in outbreaks because people don't follow social distancing.  They drop their guard and one asymptomatic guest can quickly multiply.

It doesn't all make total sense, but I feel that it's a targeted thing and the target moves according to how the virus does.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1