The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

23 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

There a better options for plant based patties then the Beyond Meat products. I really like a product called Mushroom bites. Made in Vancouver. Sold in Save on Foods. Also in Victoria where I live we have a butcher at the Hudson Market that only sells plant based food that looks like meat. Their taste profile and texture compared to the Beyond Meat products is night and day difference. All natural organic ingredients that give you the protein you need in your diet. You don't need to have an innocent animal killed just so you can enjoy a tasty product on your plate or sandwich. Plant based diets are healthier for you. You won't feel sluggish, everything you eat will digest through you really easily, your testosterone will go up, your skin will clear up, inflammation in your body will improve and your joints will move better. You will loose weight and have a vibrant look to you and attract better looking people.  Vancouver has so many great vegan options. Give it a try. Your old diet isn't doing you any favours. 

I think meat is ok if it isn't approached as a daily necessity. Meat provides a good source of nutrients, both on macro and micro scale, but the problem is when people eat it every day they can't afford the high quality meat. Mass farming is an issue, not only environmentally, but also from a meat quality perspective. Meat is fantastic if you go organic and locally sourced but the problem is doing that cost 2x as much. I eat meat probably once per week as a treat on the weekends but I buy a high quality cut. I am vegetarian 6 days per week. Some plant based products can still be filled with $!&# though. The mrs loves the beyond meat burgers but they really aren't that good for you, but neither are meat burgers so you have to treat them the same way.

Ill have to give those mushroom bites a try. Are they in the freezer section or near tofu etc in save on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think meat is ok if it isn't approached as a daily necessity. Meat provides a good source of nutrients, both on macro and micro scale, but the problem is when people eat it every day they can't afford the high quality meat. Mass farming is an issue, not only environmentally, but also from a meat quality perspective. Meat is fantastic if you go organic and locally sourced but the problem is doing that cost 2x as much. I eat meat probably once per week as a treat on the weekends but I buy a high quality cut. I am vegetarian 6 days per week. Some plant based products can still be filled with $!&# though. The mrs loves the beyond meat burgers but they really aren't that good for you, but neither are meat burgers so you have to treat them the same way.

Ill have to give those mushroom bites a try. Are they in the freezer section or near tofu etc in save on?

I agree with you. I recommend aiming for an 80/20 goal for people who can't give up meat. 80% plant based food 20% quality meat/dairy/eggs

I also agree there is a lot of bad packaged vegan food. Unfortunately it can be trial and error to find good stuff. I always check ingredients. 

The mushroom bites are in the produce area near the salad dressings that are refrigerated. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

The mushroom bites are in the produce area near the salad dressings that are refrigerated. 

Irony is some of the salad dressing people put in their “healthy salads” could end up being as bad for you as a Rotten Ronald’s burger (eg.m sodium, etc.,).

32 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Unknown-1.jpeg.7a4982b1f57071604c31c0da3bcfe8e6.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was wondering if the Corona virus will affect the vaping crowd. I know that some of them had lung issues from vaping and the virus might hit them harder than other young people.

I think it will affect the beat boxing community 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find that, during something like this, we really get to see the character of some people. Those who don't feel well isolating, which is great. But then hearing of those that are sick and going on with life as usual. This is really irresponsible. It's also pretty disgusting to see some people hoarding everything, and then trying to sell it online, or just being selfish. "I'm saving myself, F*** you all", kind of attitude. 

Then you get a different level of d*uche who seek to profit from times like this.  I'm referring to people hoarding items like toilet paper and then reselling then at hugely inflated prices online.

• Cheers 1

Quebec Premier François Legault has banned all visits to public senior homes and hospitals.

Legault is asking all people who are aged 70 years and over to avoid leaving their homes, as they are at a higher risk of serious consequences should they get the virus.

Public Health Director Horatio Arruda is also asking all people with compromised immune systems or chronic ailments to avoid all non-essential outings, regardless of age.

The Quebec government has launched a health emergency decree for at least 10 days.

The province is adding seven more designated testing and treatment centres, creating a total of 19. It is also adding extra beds in these centres.

Quebec now has 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with four more cases confirmed Saturday morning. Another 853 people are under investigation.

An elementary school student at the Collège international Marie de France school has tested positive for COVID-19.

All schools, universities, daycares and CEGEPs in Quebec will be closed for two weeks starting Monday.

The government is asking people not to call 811 if they suspect they have COVID-19. Instead, they should call 1-877-644-4545.

People coming from outside the country or anyone with flu-like symptoms should self-isolate for 14 days.

• Upvote 1

Trump says he took coronavirus test and expands travel ban to UK and Ireland

Donald Trump has announced new measures to tackle the coronavirus crisis, including expanding the existing US travel ban to travelers from the UK and Ireland.

In a lunchtime briefing at the White House, the president also confirmed he had taken a test for the virus himself, although the result was not yet available.

“I decided I should,” he said.

Trump had come under pressure after exposure to sufferers including a member of Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro’s entourage in Florida last weekend.

In a statement on Friday Trump’s physician, Dr Sean Conley, said there was no need to quarantine the president or implement a test. Trump’s encounter with Bolsonaro aide Fabio Wajngarten was “low risk”, the doctor said, adding that another Mar-a-Lago guest who has tested positive also interacted with the president.

On Saturday, Trump told the media he had taken a test after all. His daughter Ivanka Trump, a White House adviser, entered self-isolation on Friday after meeting an Australian politician later revealed to have tested positive.

News of Trump’s test followed days of controversy highlighted by his continuing to shake hands with people, even as official advice recommended “social distancing”.

“It becomes a habit. People walk up to me, they shake hands, it’s kind of a natural reflex,” Trump said. “Shaking hands is not a great thing to be doing right now, I tend to agree.”

Trump said he took his test on Friday night and would await the result for “two days, whatever it is”.

more in the link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/trump-coronavirus-paid-sick-leave-unemployment-testing

Edited by nuckin_futz

A lot of people have been relying on the official numbers and especially the John Hopkins University website.........

Some sobering words from the that very university........

“Don’t believe the numbers when you see, even on our Johns Hopkins website, that 1,600 Americans have the virus,” he said.

“No, that means 1,600 got the test, tested positive. There are probably 25 to 50 people who have the virus for every one person who is confirmed.”

He added:

“I think we have between 50,000 and half a million cases right now walking around in the United States.”

• Upvote 1