The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

WRT gyms....Club 16 where I go (very infrequently these days as I workout mostly at home) requires masks whenever you are in the facility.  The requirement changed when the new restrictions came in a couple weeks ago, prior to that it was wear a mask while moving around in the gym.  In the two small corporate gyms I work at, we require masks anytime people are in the facility.   The fitness studio I was going to has basically shut down and moved to online classes.  The owner is considering giving up the lease on her space as its a cost she can't afford to continue paying.  

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK so hear me out but understand this is hearsay and entirely second hand.

My sister is a high ranking nurse here in Penticton.  One of the liaisons between hospital staff and Interior Health.  one of our mutual friends is a high muckity muck in Interior Healths management team.

A circulation has been made regarding modelling for the rest of december and businesses staying open etc.

essentially the cliff notes are as follows judging by what they say

• Province expects people to ignore rules between Dec 19th and 31st (new years eve)
  • Shopping rush followed by desire to see families will over ride peoples adherence to Covid restrictions
  • Areas of Victoria and South Island as well as central and south okanagan keyed as potential hot zones due to snowbirds wintering here instead of US/Mexico
  • First 2 weeks of January expected to see and anticipated increase in numbers based on inter provincial travel and provincial travel from hot zones
  • Should numbers approach the 1200+ per day a shut down is expected
  • As businesses tend to struggle through Jan/Feb provincial and federal assistance is being pushed forward to help mitigate losses
  • Shutdown of 4-6 weeks is possible as that would help drag numbers down to initial levels as seen at outbreak last april

Now again take it with a grain of salt but this is what these two spoke of.  They know their stuff and honestly it seems feasible.  I do not for one second expect people to avoid shopping or not to associate with family over the holidays.  The Okanagan is at capacity right now with snowbirds from the lower mainland and alberta who otherwise would be in the US or Mexico.  People will celebrate new years one way or another to kiss this mess good bye

Needless to say...i'd get my strong dose of people in prior to new years.

They should proactively shut down Christmas and New Years then. Pound that message home with media blitz, enforcement and fining every houseguest (i.e. Quebec at $1000/guest).

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

OK so hear me out but understand this is hearsay and entirely second hand.

My sister is a high ranking nurse here in Penticton.  One of the liaisons between hospital staff and Interior Health.  one of our mutual friends is a high muckity muck in Interior Healths management team.

A circulation has been made regarding modelling for the rest of december and businesses staying open etc.

essentially the cliff notes are as follows judging by what they say

• Province expects people to ignore rules between Dec 19th and 31st (new years eve)
  • Shopping rush followed by desire to see families will over ride peoples adherence to Covid restrictions
  • Areas of Victoria and South Island as well as central and south okanagan keyed as potential hot zones due to snowbirds wintering here instead of US/Mexico
  • First 2 weeks of January expected to see and anticipated increase in numbers based on inter provincial travel and provincial travel from hot zones
  • Should numbers approach the 1200+ per day a shut down is expected
  • As businesses tend to struggle through Jan/Feb provincial and federal assistance is being pushed forward to help mitigate losses
  • Shutdown of 4-6 weeks is possible as that would help drag numbers down to initial levels as seen at outbreak last april

Now again take it with a grain of salt but this is what these two spoke of.  They know their stuff and honestly it seems feasible.  I do not for one second expect people to avoid shopping or not to associate with family over the holidays.  The Okanagan is at capacity right now with snowbirds from the lower mainland and alberta who otherwise would be in the US or Mexico.  People will celebrate new years one way or another to kiss this mess good bye

Needless to say...i'd get my strong dose of people in prior to new years.

I don't think this is the message to spread though.

I don't think we should join the people who are ignoring the order because there "could be" future shutdowns....this would only ensure it.   And getting our dose of "people" could give us a dose of something more so I'm reluctant to jam in visits with anyone until it's safe.

My family and I are all going to miss Christmas this year....virtual only.  It sucks...but it's the responsible thing to do.  If there's a 4-6 week shutdown we can thank all those who do get a strong dose of people through the holidays.  Let's be responsible and do our part to avoid that.

Let's remember...when they shut things down it's in response to huge out of control spikes.  So stay home, avoid people and get the numbers to keep going down, not up!

If we don't WANT a shutdown, we should be avoiding people prior to and throughout New Years.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just found out from a friend (also in Arizona) that his wife has it.

Starting to seep into circles of people I know.  This stuff's for real.

Nobody with half a brain is doubting that it's real or not.

It's the severity of it. Everyone I know that has had it is fine and it feels like a mild cold 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

It's the severity of it. Everyone I know that has had it is fine and it feels like a mild cold 

How many people do you know with it?

And they are some of the lucky ones.   It's like playing Russian Roulette.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think this is the message to spread though.

I don't think we should join the people who are ignoring the order because there "could be" future shutdowns....this would only ensure it.   And getting our dose of "people" could give us a dose of something more so I'm reluctant to jam in visits with anyone until it's safe.

My family and I are all going to miss Christmas this year....virtual only.  It sucks...but it's the responsible thing to do.  If there's a 4-6 week shutdown we can thank all those who do get a strong dose of people through the holidays.  Let's be responsible and do our part to avoid that.

Let's remember...when they shut things down it's in response to huge out of control spikes.  So stay home, avoid people and get the numbers to keep going down, not up!

If we don't WANT a shutdown, we should be avoiding people prior to and throughout New Years.

Yup. Boring AF and crappy not to see friends and family but we're going to have a low key holidays, all by our little selves here.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Tell that to the people who have died. 

If you had half a brain you’d realize that this virus doesn’t discriminate and will kill you just as likely as it will make you just feel a little ill. There’s no way to know what will happen. 

Don’t play Russian roulette with a deadly disease. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Maybe it depends on the demographic of people one knows.  I just had a friend in Calgary who lost her Dad to COVID.  I have a friend whose brother almost died, was in the hospital for 2+ months, now needed people to crowd fund for a lift assist for his home as he doesn't have the strength to go upstairs to his second level and has had to sleep downstairs where there are no bedrooms.  Not able to work anymore, no idea if or when he will be able to again.  Kyla Lee (@IRPlawyer is her twitter handle) is in her 30's, caught COVID in March and is still dealing with symptoms.  She just posted on Twitter in the past week that she was dealing with symptoms again.  

I've never thought playing Russian Roulette was a good idea, think that's what we're doing with COVID.  No idea yet what/why some people get mild symptoms, some people get severely ill, strokes, organ failures, death.  Age is a factor, other health issues is a factor, but there are some unexplained reasons as to why some people get so sick. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Nope.  I know a person in ER right now with it........  

Don't believe what DR. B / Horgan and the BC media are spinning.     Covid is spreading right now like wildfire......   

BC tests the lowest in Canada.... It is the Trump method of defeating covid.

Spin / Spin / Spin. -  repeat.     Good thing Dr. B has such a great PR firm working for her......

You can go to Mexico to holiday. / party...   but you can not have mom and dad. over for xmas.  

BC covid restrictions are a joke.  Nobody takes Dr. B seriously ... ever since she failed to support masks for 9 months....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

Retired ground and pound'er Tito Ortiz, is the the Pro Tem Mayor for Huntington Beach Cali. 

He is a tinfoil hat clown. 

This article seems confused if he was stumbling over his words, which he was but he meant to say 'Plandemic'

It includes a good phone call from a citizen that calls him out on it.

Video: Tongue-tied Tito Ortiz roasted over ‘plandemic’ at first city council meeting

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/12/8/22163338/video-tito-ortiz-roasted-over-plandemic-response-first-city-council-meeting-mma

Edited by bishopshodan

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nope.  I know a person in ER right now with it........  

Don't believe what DR. B / Horgan and the BC media are spinning.     Covid is spreading right now like wildfire......   

BC tests the lowest in Canada.... It is the Trump method of defeating covid.

Spin / Spin / Spin. -  repeat.     Good thing Dr. B has such a great PR firm working for her......

You can go to Mexico to holiday. / party...   but you can not have mom and dad. over for xmas.  

BC covid restrictions are a joke.  Nobody takes Dr. B seriously ... ever since she failed to support masks for 9 months....

Funny how your complaints about Dr Henry mirror your posts. Projecting? 

• Vintage 2

So True....

Miranda Tracy@mjt8080. Dec 7

Extremely saddened by our PHOs lack of honesty and complete disregard for schools. If it helps the economy, it stays open. If not, shut it down. Hence its only our homes, churches and events that are closed. Very disheartening. We are in big trouble here.

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Retired ground and pound'er Tito Ortiz, is the the Pro Tem Mayor for Huntington Beach Cali. 

He is a tinfoil hat clown. 

This article seems confused if he was stumbling over his words, which he was but he meant to say 'Plandemic'

It includes a good phone call from a citizen that calls him out on it.

Video: Tongue-tied Tito Ortiz roasted over ‘plandemic’ at first city council meeting

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/12/8/22163338/video-tito-ortiz-roasted-over-plandemic-response-first-city-council-meeting-mma

I think he got hit in the head little too much.

• Cheers 1