The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Was just talking to my buddy this morning about a nurse he knows. She is on stress leave as she is very concerned about her work place. They have exposures but apparently sometimes are not told when or who they were around. It's making her paranoid about the info that isn't shared.

This article points out the on going stress on these brave workers. 

B.C. nurses nearing collapse under weight of pandemic, lacking PPE access, says union

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/09/bc-nurses-covid-19-union/

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – With hundreds of COVID-19 patients in hospital — many of them critical — the BC Nurses Union says widespread pandemic fatigue is leaving our frontline workers vulnerable.

From their mental health to personal safety, nurses are dealing with a number of stresses, according to the BCNU.

• Huggy Bear 3

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think this is the message to spread though.

I don't think we should join the people who are ignoring the order because there "could be" future shutdowns....this would only ensure it.   And getting our dose of "people" could give us a dose of something more so I'm reluctant to jam in visits with anyone until it's safe.

My family and I are all going to miss Christmas this year....virtual only.  It sucks...but it's the responsible thing to do.  If there's a 4-6 week shutdown we can thank all those who do get a strong dose of people through the holidays.  Let's be responsible and do our part to avoid that.

Let's remember...when they shut things down it's in response to huge out of control spikes.  So stay home, avoid people and get the numbers to keep going down, not up!

If we don't WANT a shutdown, we should be avoiding people prior to and throughout New Years.

You misunderstood me.

When I say get your dose of people in.  I mean your shopping.  Your day to day choring.  Any essential services like hair cuts etc.

Get them done sooner than later.

I don't mean to say go visit all the people you know.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Its pretty sad that we have to rely on our government to institute tougher regulations to help with the spread. This isn't Trudeau's fault, it isn't Kenny's fault, It's not Horgan or Bonnie Henry's fault.  It's our fault......Jesus, why can't people just act responsibly. Stay home as much as possible, support restaurants with online ordering, curbside pickup to support stores, if you have to shop then wear a mask and social distance.  This $&!# isn't difficult folks.

Of course it is not governments fault.

But government makes policy that affects the health of Canadians....   Having care home workers work for minimum wage with no benefits as casuals....  they then needed to work 2-3 different care homes to make rent.....   Our gov needs to step up and create laws where this can NOT  be allowed to happen...  Too dangerous for our seniors...

BC government Dr. B took 9 months to support masks... anti mask sentiments got more popular as these idiots saw our PHO not supporting masks for 9 months....

So yes gov. can play a role in being ROLE models and making the right statements....

So yes our government does play a role in making canadians safer from covid. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course it is not governments fault.

But government makes policy that affects the health of Canadians....   Having care home workers work for minimum wage with no benefits as casuals....  they then needed to work 2-3 different care homes to make rent.....   Our gov needs to step up and create laws where this can NOT  be allowed to happen...  Too dangerous for our seniors...

BC government Dr. B took 9 months to support masks... anti mask sentiments got more popular as these idiots saw our PHO not supporting masks for 9 months....

So yes gov. can play a role in being ROLE models and making the right statements....

So yes our government does play a role in making canadians safer from covid. 

Of course they have a "role" to play but if you need the government to tell you that wearing a mask and social distancing in effective then you're a moron.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, it is somewhat Kenney's fault. The whole "freedom" shtick he trots out to the base doesn't help compliance at all. 

It is pretty interesting that the biggest resistance to personal responsibility, particularly in the US, is coming from the right wing. Strange days for sure. 

Not going to defend Alberta because it is pretty Hicksville out here but Kenny has talked about what people need to do. I guess he just assumed people would be smart enough to follow the guidelines but I guess thats asking too much. Note: I am not defending him nor am I a conservative. Just expected more out of people.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Not going to defend Alberta because it is pretty Hicksville out here but Kenny has talked about what people need to do. I guess he just assumed people would be smart enough to follow the guidelines but I guess thats asking too much. Note: I am not defending him nor am I a conservative.

his health officer is good from what I've seen. I just don't think the mixed messaging helps. 

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Just expected more out of people.

Well, see, now that's where you went sideways. 

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Was just talking to my buddy this morning about a nurse he knows. She is on stress leave as she is very concerned about her work place. They have exposures but apparently sometimes are not told when or who they were around. It's making her paranoid about the info that isn't shared.

This article points out the on going stress on these brave workers. 

B.C. nurses nearing collapse under weight of pandemic, lacking PPE access, says union

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/09/bc-nurses-covid-19-union/

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – With hundreds of COVID-19 patients in hospital — many of them critical — the BC Nurses Union says widespread pandemic fatigue is leaving our frontline workers vulnerable.

From their mental health to personal safety, nurses are dealing with a number of stresses, according to the BCNU.

this isn't a just BC thing, its North American wide. They are all operating under the strictest protocol for PPE use. Not sure what other choice there is? 

The majority of U.S. hospitals and healthcare systems overwhelmed with COVID-19 response efforts are concerned about being able to provide safe patient care with scarce supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE), according to a national survey of more than 1,000 infection prevention experts.

Many facilities are operating under PPE crisis standards of care says the survey, which the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology(APIC) conducted from Oct. 22 to Nov. 5. Facilities are attempting to compensate for short supplies by reusing or extending the life of single-use PPE, according to APIC. Roughly three quarters of respondents say their facilities allow staff to reuse respirators or masks either five times or "as many times as possible" before getting a new one.

http://www.outpatientsurgery.net/surgical-facility-administration/infection-control/apic-survey-reveals-depth-of-ppe-crisis--12-09-20

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Was watching Global News and on the ticker at the bottom I read people who have high allergies are being told to NOT take the Pfizer vaccine in the UK, there seems to be an issue....

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55244122

BBC says the 2 people who had allergic reactions were treated and are fine now.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, trek said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55244122

BBC says the 2 people who had allergic reactions were treated and are fine now.

Yup but they're still telling them to avoid the vaccine if you have strong allergies.....

U.K. warns people with ‘significant’ allergies to avoid Pfizer coronavirus vaccine

https://globalnews.ca/news/7510587/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-significant-allergies/amp/

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yup but they're still telling them to avoid the vaccine if you have strong allergies.....

https://globalnews.ca/news/7510587/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-significant-allergies/amp/

Avoid it in general unless perhaps you're a special use case like an elderly individual or healthcare worker. Possible long term repercussions of the vaccine aren't known. And in general you wouldn't put anything into your body if you didn't require it - antibiotics, medications, supplements, etc.  That is simply common sense most of us use every single day but some are willing to ignore because the government says it is okay to. 

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Avoid it in general unless perhaps you're a special use case like an elderly individual or healthcare worker. Possible long term repercussions of the vaccine aren't known. And in general you wouldn't put anything into your body if you didn't require it - antibiotics, medications, supplements, etc.  That is simply common sense most of us use every single day but some are willing to ignore because the government says it is okay to. 

Personally I think the Moderna one is better Manitoba is getting the Moderna one,  but I'm sure the Pfizer one is good, but the whole world should be really paying attention to the UK right now, they're literally the human testers for the rest of the world with Pfizer. I know I'm going to be following news out of there for the next while to see what happens.

18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

on what basis are you recommending people avoid vaccination? your vast experience in the area? or is it coming out somewhere below the belt perhaps?

lets leave the medical advice to medical professionals. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on what basis are you recommending people avoid vaccination? your vast experience in the area? or is it coming out somewhere below the belt perhaps?

lets leave the medical advice to medical professionals. 

The grounds which I just stated. You don't require anything like such unless perhaps in a specific use case. 

• Wat 1