The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Well, Kenny is onside with the experts now. 

OPINION | After going eyeball to eyeball with COVID-19, Kenney finally blinks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/opinion-thomson-covid-kenney-blinks-1.5833751

After months of pleading with Albertans to take "personal responsibility" to stop the spread of COVID-19, Premier Jason Kenney has finally taken personal responsibility himself.

On Tuesday, he reluctantly announced the kind of sweeping COVID-19 restrictions he had been tersely rejecting for weeks.

He is now ordering everyone to wear a mask in public spaces everywhere in Alberta. And nobody is allowed to hold any social gatherings outside.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, Kenny is onside with the experts now. 

OPINION | After going eyeball to eyeball with COVID-19, Kenney finally blinks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/opinion-thomson-covid-kenney-blinks-1.5833751

After months of pleading with Albertans to take "personal responsibility" to stop the spread of COVID-19, Premier Jason Kenney has finally taken personal responsibility himself.

On Tuesday, he reluctantly announced the kind of sweeping COVID-19 restrictions he had been tersely rejecting for weeks.

He is now ordering everyone to wear a mask in public spaces everywhere in Alberta. And nobody is allowed to hold any social gatherings outside.

Just like I have said, he was hoping citizen’s would do the right things and they didn’t. That was his mistake. He’s not anti science 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not saying the vaccine is safe or it isn't.  But nobody can deny that this vaccine has been fast-tracked, meaning the developers have NOT gone through the same time-frame with regards to clinical trials (yes, they did trials, but instead of taking many years they took a few months).  I'm not saying they didn't follow protocols and/or regulations but they HAVE been fast-tracked meaning there is zero data from the clinical trials to determine what the longer-term negative effects of the vaccine are - if there are any at all? 

Because of this I don't think it's unfair to question the safety of the vaccine, especially long-term side effects.  Again, I'm not saying the vaccine is safe or it isn't - but this vaccine has zero long-term clinical trial data and therefore is open to some degree of questionability in my view. 

That thought has occurred to me, too.

But the health authorities must have thought of that, too, before authorizing the vaccines, right?

After all, there would be hell to pay if, say,  people started keeling over from heart attacks caused by the vaccine a couple of years from now.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not saying the vaccine is safe or it isn't.  But nobody can deny that this vaccine has been fast-tracked, meaning the developers have NOT gone through the same time-frame with regards to clinical trials (yes, they did trials, but instead of taking many years they took a few months).  I'm not saying they didn't follow protocols and/or regulations but they HAVE been fast-tracked meaning there is zero data from the clinical trials to determine what the longer-term negative effects of the vaccine are - if there are any at all? 

Because of this I don't think it's unfair to question the safety of the vaccine, especially long-term side effects.  Again, I'm not saying the vaccine is safe or it isn't - but this vaccine has zero long-term clinical trial data and therefore is open to some degree of questionability in my view. 

A big part of the fast tracking was recruitment, which usually takes years but there were so many volunteers it went very fast. Also all R&D was geared to this, everything else took a back seat. So yes it was fast but no steps were skipped. Don't forget 10s of 1000s of volunteers have already tested it, its not hitting the public with no knowledge of what side effects can occur. 

I don't see how fast tracking on its own is an issue if all the steps were taken. 

Statistically its a massive group:

Pfizer said that no serious safety concerns related to the vaccine were reported in its study, which included 43,661 volunteers. Data on common side effects was tracked in an 8,000-patient portion of the study. The only severe side effects to occur in more than 2% of people were fatigue, which occurred in 3.7% of patients after the second dose, and headache, which occurred in 2%. Older adults had fewer and milder side effects than younger participants. Approximately 19,000 participants in the study have been followed for at least two months since their second dose of the vaccine.

Pfizer’s updated results follow Moderna’s report that its Covid-19 vaccine, using similar technology, reduced the risk of Covid-19 by 94.5% in interim results from a 30,000-volunteer clinical trial. Moderna observed 95 cases of symptomatic Covid-19, only five of which affected participants who received the company’s vaccine.

In Moderna’s study, there were 11 cases of severe Covid-19, all of which occurred in the placebo group. Moderna said there were no significant safety concerns observed in the trial. Severe events that occurred in greater than 2% of patients included fatigue, muscle pain, headache, and achiness. These events were “generally short-lived,” the company said in a press release.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/18/pfizer-biontech-covid19-vaccine-fda-data/

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Just like I have said, he was hoping citizen’s would do the right things and they didn’t. That was his mistake. He’s not anti science 

Sure.

His resistance to do something sooner will garner some criticism and if he was just pandering to his supporters then he has been being reckless.

If he truly believed Albertans would get this under control by being personally responsible, well he has more faith in humans that I do.

He's done the right thing now.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are you refering to not using rapid tests... or not not using masks....

rapid tests. They aren't as good as the standard test. Hence the reasoning. You don't want people running around thinking they are OK when the test was wrong, do you? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As another layer of the pandemic response onion, though - it's better than nothing.

Just like how wearing a mask (properly) is better than none.

Just like how ensuring distance between yourself and the next person is better than none.

have to disagree there, false negatives could be devastating in long term care e..g 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And not testing could result in asymptomatic carriers becoming transmission event vectors.

yes but the test would give those people the wrong outcome and they'd go infect more people. False negatives happen in every test but if they're too high the test system won't do what people think it will. 

I get your point, you may catch people you normally would not have but you'll also let a lot of sick people think they aren't carriers. Its not a simple thing to introduce into the plan. 

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What I'm really hoping is that someone does a study of the efficacy of rapid testing as a means to identify asymptomatic carriers, and use the determined efficacy to show how the risk outweighs the benefits.  That would (in my mind) settle this issue.  Otherwise, the problem becomes one of potentially letting silent carriers wreak havoc on the system repeatedly because of an unwillingness (or inability) to test.

its really complicated, I think we'll likely have everyone vaccinated before an really accurate rapid test is available. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Have been following Alberta very closely...

Kenney has in fact been abysmal for leadership.

Blaming NE calgary's south east asian population while championing the rights of the maskless on the same day to hold protests and rallies.  Holding back federal money earmarked for front line workers in the medical fields in order to avoid looking like he was taking a hand out.

There's a volume of thigns Kenney did and didn't do that essentially lead Alberta to where they are now

But it's all Trudeau's fault anyways and Notley completely failed to stop the virus 

"not even kidding, check out what one of the loudest UCP MLA's is tweeting"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Eo1XzMXUcAIJJp6?format=jpg&name=large

It's an NDP plot to somehow screw over the province because they're the absolute worst because they're not doing exactly what KoS demands every single day and when they do they're still the worst because I changed my mind on what should happen

If only the BC Liberals were in power, i'd have more things to be upset about

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

IIRC part of the problem with the rapid testing was that there weren't adequate supplies of them to test all of the LTC workers even once, never mind more frequently.  Then there is also the issue of testing accuracy.  But sure, it's all because DBH didn't want to.  For no reason other than her whims.  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It's an NDP plot to somehow screw over the province because they're the absolute worst because they're not doing exactly what KoS demands every single day and when they do they're still the worst because I changed my mind on what should happen

If only the BC Liberals were in power, i'd have more things to be upset about

I do think Wilkinson, being a physician, would have had a similar plan, like leaving Dr. Herny in place, fwiw. I wouldn't have wanted Christy now though, gives me shivers to think about that, she'd be right there with Jason "Alberta bashing" Kenney. 

31 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure.

His resistance to do something sooner will garner some criticism and if he was just pandering to his supporters then he has been being reckless.

If he truly believed Albertans would get this under control by being personally responsible, well he has more faith in humans that I do.

He's done the right thing now.

Agreed