The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

42 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Just saying it went over your head. :ph34r:

It seems you have a difficult time understanding basic math. On an average day in the USA approximately 7000 people die. On an event such as 9/11 you should (statically speaking) see a steep increase from the average. As the media only reports Covid deaths and doesn’t want to talk about total deaths (kinda like you) we don’t have any apples to apples comparisons to draw. For example it is possible that the disappearance of the flu, pneumonia and other respiratory related problems could cause a steep decrease in other areas. Or conversely mental health issues caused by restrictions, unemployment, business failures could lead to an increase in overdoses and suicides. I prefer to look at an entire picture rather than hyper focus on one area without considering outside factors. Unfortunately it appears that much of this data is unavailable so carry on claiming your moral superiority with such well thought out comments as woosh and the reposting of a meme. Why is it so hard to have a conversation?  I get it...Covid is bad and the USA has really screwed the pooch. How does spreading fear and half truths help. How many people died yesterday?  Why can we instantly know day by day how many died of Covid but not cancer, drug over doses or suicide?  It seems like nothing except Covid counts anymore. 9/11 is nothing now because “last Tuesday” was worse. This is a pretty thoughtless way to approach it. Every life should matter, not just the ones that had Covid at their time of death. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

It seems you have a difficult time understanding basic math. On an average day in the USA approximately 7000 people die. On an event such as 9/11 you should (statically speaking) see a steep increase from the average. As the media only reports Covid deaths and doesn’t want to talk about total deaths (kinda like you) we don’t have any apples to apples comparisons to draw. For example it is possible that the disappearance of the flu, pneumonia and other respiratory related problems could cause a steep decrease in other areas. Or conversely mental health issues caused by restrictions, unemployment, business failures could lead to an increase in overdoses and suicides. I prefer to look at an entire picture rather than hyper focus on one area without considering outside factors. Unfortunately it appears that much of this data is unavailable so carry on claiming your moral superiority with such well thought out comments as woosh and the reposting of a meme. Why is it so hard to have a conversation?  I get it...Covid is bad and the USA has really screwed the pooch. How does spreading fear and half truths help. How many people died yesterday?  Why can we instantly know day by day how many died of Covid but not cancer, drug over doses or suicide?  It seems like nothing except Covid counts anymore. 9/11 is nothing now because “last Tuesday” was worse. This is a pretty thoughtless way to approach it. Every life should matter, not just the ones that had Covid at their time of death. 

Woosh 

Way to double down. 

Edited by spur1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Woosh 

King of the one word responses...  heh you should add a confused emoji.....    So many posters come here and offer nothing to the discussion . Sad. 

At least they have their posse to give each other a thumbs up  whenever someone posts any kind of a thoughful response here.   

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

King of the one word responses...  heh you should add a confused emoji.....    So many posters come here and offer nothing to the discussion . Sad. 

At least they have their posse to give each other a thumbs up  whenever someone posts any kind of a thoughful response here.   

I see it went over your head too. Maybe try reading the history of this. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Since it’s pandemic that has most of the world on a lockdown, it’s no surprise that it is all over the news.

Also it’s very contagious unlike other things you mentioned.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once again a post that only insults others...I am 100% shocked you are not banned from this forum for your non-stop  constant abuse of other forum members.

You can discuss covid issues without insulting someone....

Wow, great addition to the discussion on covid.

Well done.  Insightful. 

You used that same weak sauce last week. Change your insults please....... 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Typical. Once again you offer zero on the topic of this thread - covid.

You contribute nothing to this forum other than personally insulting posters that post on topic here.    Congrats, well done. 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, kingofsurrey said:

LOL. -  you crack me up.   

On 12/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, kingofsurrey said:

No worries. You never have any actual covid thoughts to post here.....   Posters like you really make zero contribution to the discussion. 

You may diagree with my points but at least i. express an opinion.  You offer nothing. 

People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Friday night basement booze-fest is off to an early and spicy start. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

This is one of the problems with situation we’ve found ourselves in.

The fear is the best-selling tool and mass media will ride this horse as long as they can and then some more.

I remember September 11, I was at Burrard sky train station around 5 p.m. going home from office and there was a line up of people buying an extra edition of Province.

The same, but on a much greater scale happening right now- not only here but around the globe.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

The virus is being transmitted, primarily, in family gatherings.  I'm not sure what's hard to understand there.

I get that hence why I was on board for our tough restrictions, but again if you really don't understand the frustration in not being able to see your family members 1 time and haven't been able to in months, but can sit there and watch other provinces go ahead and do it, then I guess you'll never understand oh well.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Since it’s pandemic that has most of the world on a lockdown, it’s no surprise that it is all over the news.

Also it’s very contagious unlike other things you mentioned.

Right, there is absolutely no correlation between mental health issues like addiction, depression, suicide and global economic collapse...I believe the term I am supposed to use is woosh.  Am I doing this right. Don’t worry I’m sure @spur1 will come confuse emoji this and have nothing intelligent to say. Just because there is a pandemic doesn’t mean other things are not happening too. The tinfoil hat crowd gets in trouble for not fact checking everything but here is the “lock everything down” group “researching” from a meme...stats are stats and these ones are incomplete at best. 

Edited by Amebushi
Misspelled correlation

Question, can the mods not clean up/remove the garbage in this thread. Sure gets off topic with the same few people spewing the same crap back and forth over and over and over again...

I remember the good old days where people would get banned or threads locked for minor infractions...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Not really.  Your excluding the civil war and D-day, the Tet offensive in Vietnam among other things.   Not to mention the US has grown 3 x 10 times since then. 9387 US tombstones in Normandy, most from the first day.  - Saving Private Ryan first 30 minutes lasted a lot longer then it was portrayed.   Wasn’t until the afternoon they managed to get something of a foothold on Omaha.   Saying it’s the deadliest day is both false but also a little disrespectful, given some of the things they’ve gone through in the past.   Plus who knows what the “stats” were like with the Spanish Flu either.   Despite the worlds population barely over a billion at the time.  

"In the USA".

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I get your frustration, even though I'm like some of the other posters here and enjoy this government-offered valid reason for not seeing my parents or my idiot siblings (though I don't get to avoid the mother-in-law, because we live under the same roof).  It may suck that our province has put down orders that are different - and in some ways, more strict - from those in other provinces, who may think they are taking a more humane approach to restrictions: but in reality, the only way to break the chain of transmission is to have a real authoritarian lockdown (you know, armed troops in the streets, peoples doors welded shut, etc.) for a month or two, and then block all incoming traffic from outside of the country.  That's not an option we're going to entertain.

As for those provinces that think they are being more humane by allowing relaxed social restrictions - they're just prolonging the transmission situation, so whether or not it's really being more humane I'll leave it to others to decide; I personally don't think they're taking the right approach.  I don't even think some of the half-measures taken here are all that sensible (such as the lack of a mask mandate in the classroom, allowing restaurants and especially bars and pubs to allow sit-in consumption, not ticketing mass gatherings - regardless of nature, etc.), but I guess that's why I'm not in government - as I don't necessarily see things from their perspective and the considerations on eg. the economy or finances that I'm sure they need to be concerned with.

I suppose the silver lining in all this is that there appears a sliver of light in the distance.  We just have to make sure we get to it.

Actually like I just said to the last poster I was definitely on board with the strict restrictions I just wish they were implemented much earlier so we could of curbed it before Christmas and by this time now wouldn't have to be this strict. I felt they were way to lenient with it and definitely let their guard down after the first wave, I guess they like to call it. I actually would of preferred the whole lockdown approach at the beginning as you state, literally give everyone 1 week to stock up and then literally shut everything down for 2 weeks minimum and see if it can remove it in a big way. But unfortunately with the way this world works with the economy people would still have to travel, so it still would be lingering around here and there but I would bet it wouldn't be as bad as it is right now, if we took that approach early. 

It's definitely frustrating seeing other Provinces having the opportunity to see their loves ones and family at Christmas. I'm not happy seeing they are allowed and we're not, I would prefer that they get punished the same to help stop the spread obviously, but maybe if B.C. was stricter on this months ago we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

One thing I'll add, I have a Grandfather who's 91 and a Grandmother who's 94, I haven't seen them at all this year they live together still, personally I don't know how much time my Grandma has left. I have been keeping my distance from going there in fear of not giving them the virus in case some how I got it without knowing. I also have done things to keep my distance from anyone, I've been wearing a mask and gloves everywhere I go even before they started telling people to wear masks, I've taken this thing more serious then many. But not being able to drive over to my Grandparents keep my distance to even talk to them from outside to say hello say Merry Christmas and see them once again, and see that other Provinces are allowing those people to go in their house or invite them to their place and I can't even drive in my Grandparents driveway to say hello, that's just garbage imo. 

36 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Right, there is absolutely no correlation between mental health issues like addiction, depression, suicide and global economic collapse...I believe the term I am supposed to use is woosh.  Am I doing this right. Don’t worry I’m sure @spur1 will come confuse emoji this and have nothing intelligent to say. Just because there is a pandemic doesn’t mean other things are not happening too. The tinfoil hat crowd gets in trouble for not fact checking everything but here is the “lock everything down” group “researching” from a meme...stats are stats and these ones are incomplete at best. 

If you are looking for those stats they are available, right now covid is number 1 topic around the globe.

Things are happening which are secondary effects of the outbreak.

Is it exacerbated by the lockdown?
Maybe, but if you live in GVA, that area has been hit very hard by the opioid deaths for years.

To see if numbers got worse we have to compare this year to 2019.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If you are looking for those stats they are available, right now covid is number 1 topic around the globe.

Things are happening which are secondary effects of the outbreak.

Is it exacerbated by the lockdown?
Maybe, but if you live in GVA, that area has been hit very hard by the opioid deaths for years.

To see if numbers got worse we have to compare this year to 2019.

Thank you!  I admit that my “efforts” are pretty typical of someone posting on an internet forum but I have tried to find these stats and can’t seem to. I can find information from years back and up to the minute Covid reports but I’m sure they are around. For what it’s worth I live in Kamloops, where the problem has grown so bad this year with opioids that our city council is trying to get Ottawa to declare it a health emergency. This could be a local thing, but even this information only seems to be available through castanet...a small local internet news outlet. No one cares about anything other than Covid it seems. 

3 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Thank you!  I admit that my “efforts” are pretty typical of someone posting on an internet forum but I have tried to find these stats and can’t seem to. I can find information from years back and up to the minute Covid reports but I’m sure they are around. For what it’s worth I live in Kamloops, where the problem has grown so bad this year with opioids that our city council is trying to get Ottawa to declare it a health emergency. This could be a local thing, but even this information only seems to be available through castanet...a small local internet news outlet. No one cares about anything other than Covid it seems. 

I found this article, in the past I have posted topics about opioid deaths.

Some people still feel that addiction is a choice, with the virus not so much.

Also some might feel that you can’t catch depression, addiction or suicide unlike covid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/overdose-deaths-bc-august-2020-1.5735247

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I found this article, in the past I have posted topics about opioid deaths.

Some people still feel that addiction is a choice, with the virus not so much.

Also some might feel that you can’t catch depression, addiction or suicide unlike covid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/overdose-deaths-bc-august-2020-1.5735247

I didn't read the article too lazy but I don't think you can "catch" depression it's developed uncontrollablely like cancer which makes it worse in some ways.

You can't wash your hands or where a mask.

• Cheers 1