The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Have we banned incoming flights from china iran italy yet? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid19-travel-bans-1.5495919

Dr. Allison McGeer, an infectious disease consultant and microbiologist at Toronto's Sinai Health Network, said the ban is not evidence-based.

"What the science tells you is that travel bans are not nearly effective as you think they might be," McGeer said. "I think we really need to be focused on what we need to do to protect ourselves from community transmission in our countries as opposed to worrying about what happens when other people coming from other countries to us."

Similarly, when asked whether the Canada-U.S. border might close to limit spread, McGeer said "probably not."

"There's a bit of a temptation to say now that because we have so many fewer cases in Canada than some places in the United States that we might worry about travellers from the United States," she said. "That kind of restriction might delay our outbreak by a week … and the damage that it does is probably just not worth that week's delay."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

So in essence an expert is flat out stating that border and travel closures are not as effective or worth it as people claim.

But what about Chad the facebook comments section hero, what does HE think 

:P

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Shut down all boarders and test everyone. 

This should have been done as soon as the out break began.   Now it is almost too late. 

Literally above you

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid19-travel-bans-1.5495919

Dr. Allison McGeer, an infectious disease consultant and microbiologist at Toronto's Sinai Health Network, said the ban is not evidence-based.

"What the science tells you is that travel bans are not nearly effective as you think they might be,"

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Serious question though, Does anyone here on CDC know anyone that actually has the C virus?

A 'regular' at my friend's work is positive. A guy beside me at the driving range said that his girlfriend was tested, said she had to wait 6 hours in urgent care with 50 person line to get the test. She tested negative.

18 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Sure its not a be all end all solution but even a moderate effectiveness of decreasing the spread from high risk nations would be good imo

Of course local community awareness and education is most important to combat it but that seems to be happening already.. my beer league sports are all postponed even lol yet people from the source country of the virus keep coming in unrestricted 

Denmark closed their borders entirely so seems there is something to it

15 hours ago, Canorth said:

Had my anual n95 fit test done yesterday. The instructor said that there was a robbery of masks in the lower mainland. They cost to health authorities $2 per mask. Now being sold on the street for $80....

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I know that it has been posted already, but Manny Ranga and Violeta Perez are two of the biggest pieces of $&!# in Vancouver:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-couple-resells-100k-of-cleaning-products-purchased-at-costco-amid-covid-19-pandemic-1.4852363

Nothing like profiting during a time of crises, feckless &^@#ing cunts!

• Thanks 2

The time to close borders and screen people was when china built hospitals in a week. 

Sadly now, its time to bunker up and isolate. Basically every country has at least one person who walked around and was contagious. 

You just dont know how many people one person could infect, cumulatively. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I have a family member who was literally standing in YVR waiting for his flight to PG when the edict came down about self-isolating if you've been out of the country. He'd traveled to Wisconsin and Montreal for work and had been at trade shows there. Currently is self-isolated and working from home. It will be a long 14 days but he's isolated even from his family in the same home.

Another friend and her husband (both in their 70s)  returned from Mexico on Thursday. Both she and her husband returned home with 'colds'. They don't think they should have to self-isolate because they were back in Canada within hours of the advisory being released. My reaction was WTFingfF??? Like viruses respect the clock and oh boy, you beat the advisory by 2 hours. These are not usually stupid people but holy $&!#, just what are you NOT getting about this pandemic? Unbelievable. THIS is the sort of thinking that spreads the virus, dammit...shake your heads, Sally and Tom.. .:shock::mad::rolleyes:

sadly as we are dealing with humans as much as the disappointment can't be overstated it is really not surprising.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Nothing like profiting during a time of crises, feckless &^@#ing cunts!

Couldn’t agree more!

But I think you missed blocking a vowel in there somewhere. Might want to edit this posts for the letter “u”. Don’t want any complaints lodged against you

• Upvote 1

UK prime minister Boris Johnson has announced that they will scale back testing for the virus in order to stretch the peak of the virus and essentially create a herd immunity. This seems like a very bad idea.. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8111335/WHO-calls-UK-scaling-coronavirus-testing-issues-stark-warning-governments.html

I do believe the UK has now overtaken the US on the most poor handling of this situation.

Edited by Petey40
  • Wat 2

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

UK prime minister Boris Johnson has announced that they will scale back testing for the virus in order to stretch the peak of the virus and essentially create a herd immunity. This seems like a very bad idea.. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8111335/WHO-calls-UK-scaling-coronavirus-testing-issues-stark-warning-governments.html

Elect a clown, expect a circus. Not that their other option was any better.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Especially for those that'll die from it...how selfish and ignorant!!!

• Cheers 3