The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No problem with Kelowna..  looks like a great place to live...  The previous poster Canuckster....  though was pretty rude to me...

KELOWNA — Big White Ski Resort has fired “a number” of staff after a cluster of 60 cases of COVID-19 was discovered earlier this week.

Big White ski resort in Kelowna fires staff after spread of COVID-19

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/big-white-ski-resort-in-kelowna-fires-staff-after-spread-of-covid-19

You really love to accuse people with zero facts don't you? 

Nothing Canuckster said even remotely hints at knowingly spreading or breaking protocol regarding covid. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No problem with Kelowna..  looks like a great place to live...  The previous poster Canuckster....  though was pretty rude to me...

KELOWNA — Big White Ski Resort has fired “a number” of staff after a cluster of 60 cases of COVID-19 was discovered earlier this week.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/big-white-ski-resort-in-kelowna-fires-staff-after-spread-of-covid-19

Fair enough. A lot more cases than in the city of Kelowna in the same time frame. Most of the staff are from out of town, meaning Aussies etc. It has not had a big affect on what's happening in Kelowna on the whole (Big White is a 45-60 min drive from town). No need to categorize us K towners with that.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Also, I read the link you provided. NOWHERE in that story does it mention a number of cases? Where did you get that info from, please provide an appropriate link.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

93 in the ICU is a record i believe...

Not the kind of record we want ....   my mom had a severe medical incident on Saturday..  stroke.... 4 broken ribs... collapsed lung...  . lung just got drained today.

Hoping she hangs on and recovers...   I can not see her...   Lost my mother in law earlier in covid spring....out of province... still no funeral.......  Lost my dad a year ago....

Covid sucks. 

That's horrible news....I'm really really sorry to hear this and hope your Mom does recover.  Just awful....

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Also, I read the link you provided. NOWHERE in that story does it mention a number of cases? Where did you get that info from, please provide an appropriate link.

Actually it does say.... just below the photo .   60 cases at Big White...  Don't you consider Vancouver Sun an appropriate link ?  

Big White Ski Resort says it has fired “a number” of staff after a cluster of 60 cases of COVID-19 was discovered earlier this week. PHOTO BY MARC JAMES /Destination B.C.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

my mom had a severe medical incident on Saturday..  stroke.... 4 broken ribs... collapsed lung...  . lung just got drained today.

Hoping she hangs on and recovers...   I can not see her...   Lost my mother in law earlier in covid spring....out of province... still no funeral.......  Lost my dad a year ago....

Covid sucks.   KOS, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and your other family losses.  It is so tough to not be able to say goodbye properly.   I hope your Mom pulls through.  I agree with you on your comment - COVID sucks.  

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Wow KOS judgemental? I live in K-town. 99% of the population here do not work at ski hills and we only have the one local ski hill, Big White. They have been practicing very good measures regarding COVID with limited numbers, distancing and masking. Plus the lodge and restaurant not open, bring your lunch or go hungry. 

I don't really know where you are going with that?

As a city of aprox 150,000 we have a much smaller amount of cases compared to the FV Regional Health District. Please explain that comment if you will?

I'm in Penticton, shoot in Kelowna 3-4 times a week.

Kelowna had issues at the start of summer but has been decent so far for its size and central location/importance

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr. Henry from March to Nov 2020 has consistently not supported mandatory masks in BC.    

This is the point i am trying to make.    When masks are ONLY optional.... you see people not taking recommendations seriously.....

I would like you to quote where in the WORLD you see Masks are not effective to limit covid transmission.

Teachers across BC are calling for safe work places.. and mandatory masks policey started by BC gov in BC schools. ... 

Why don't all teacher just wear their own masks now then?  Even if its not mandatory, they can wear their own and protect themselves.  Its not like everyone doesn't have one at this point considering you need it to do just about anything else in life right now.  And if teachers have such an issue why don't they just all walk out or all call in sick in protest?  Do something drastic to get point across.  I am sure january they will be manditory though.

For the longest time masks were scarce or were sub par quality as people basically took whatever crap fabric and were making their own.  And disposables were used once at stores and you saw them littered on the ground.  It was awful walking out of costco and seeing a dozen masks all over the ground just polluting the ground. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Why don't all teacher just wear their own masks now then?  Even if its not mandatory, they can wear their own and protect themselves.  Its not like everyone doesn't have one at this point considering you need it to do just about anything else in life right now.  And if teachers have such an issue why don't they just all walk out or all call in sick in protest?  Do something drastic to get point across.  I am sure january they will be manditory though.

For the longest time masks were scarce or were sub par quality as people basically took whatever crap fabric and were making their own.  And disposables were used once at stores and you saw them littered on the ground.  It was awful walking out of costco and seeing a dozen masks all over the ground just polluting the ground. 

I think the issue is...

Teachers can wear a mask.. but they will likely primarily be  protecting  students...

For a teacher to be protected .. all students need to wearing mandatory masks... this is not happening as teachers are NOT allowed to make students wear masks.

DR. B has insisted that students can or can not choose to wear masks in class.    Teachers are getting sick. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

WRT masks, the place I volunteer at on the DTES had a Vancouver Coastal Health inspection last week.  We were advised after that visit that effective immediately, all staff and volunteers must wear disposable masks, reusable masks would not be allowed any longer.  No reason was given, I suspect it's because there is no standard for cloth masks.  Some are better made than others, some are 3 ply, some are 2 ply plus a filter, some are only one ply, some have nose wires, some are bigger or smaller.  Disposables are probably a more consistent quality.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, skategal said:

WRT masks, the place I volunteer at on the DTES had a Vancouver Coastal Health inspection last week.  We were advised after that visit that effective immediately, all staff and volunteers must wear disposable masks, reusable masks would not be allowed any longer.  No reason was given, I suspect it's because there is no standard for cloth masks.  Some are better made than others, some are 3 ply, some are 2 ply plus a filter, some are only one ply, some have nose wires, some are bigger or smaller.  Disposables are probably a more consistent quality.  

Disposables changed out 2-3 times a day...  ensure clean masks.  I think this is what Quebec teachers are doing... Mandatory for them and students. 

Some people may use a reusable masks. 100 days in a row without washing it... doesn't sound very effective in limiting covid...

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That number does appear to not be climbing as much which does suggest that the restrictions have worked or are working to flatten it.

The next 3-4 weeks is critical really.

But modelling towards people being as inherently selfish as they've always been still suggests we'll see a large spike in the 1st and 2nd weeks of January

Yea I think the idea is to temper the count so when we know these gatherings will happen hopefully it'll be less spikey as we have held numbers down.

Oh no......

4th positive case in my kids’ cohort that I know of with numerous other kids in line to be tested on Monday. Still no contact tracing done. Cohort still open.
@Fraserhealthis FAILING. #bced is failing.

DO SOMETHING!!!
Edited by kingofsurrey

https://www.abbynews.com/news/b-c-distillery-stuck-with-a-warehouse-full-of-sanitizer/

B.C. distillery stuck with a warehouse full of sanitizer

Courtenay’s Wayward Distillery donated about $75,000 worth, now can’t sell enough to cover expenses

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A B.C. distillery owner spent nearly $600,000 on ethanol, one of the ingredients he uses to make hand sanitizer, which he distributed free of charge during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But the ethanol is sitting untouched in storage.

Gord Johns, the MP for the Courtenay-Alberni riding on Vancouver Island, blames the federal government for flooding the market with sanitizer purchased from other countries, which has driven down the price.

RELATED: MPs urge support for small-scale distilleries after feds give sanitizer contracts to big firms

RELATED: Vancouver Island distilleries help combat COVID-19 with hand sanitizer

He said Dave Brimacombe, owner of Courtenay’s Wayward Distillery, had donated about $75,000 worth of sanitizer, then started selling it at cost to cover expenses. As sales increased, he did not qualify for the federal wage subsidy or the rent program because it is revenue measured.

“His profit dropped massively, but his revenue went up, so therefore he’s getting no government support,” Johns said. “This guy is getting kicked while he’s down.”

Johns spoke about Brimacombe’s plight during Question Period in the House of Commons. Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said she would be pleased to be in touch with Brimacombe to learn more about his situation. She also said government has a range of programs to support businesses, such as wage subsidy and rent support.

Brimacombe said he can either stop selling sanitizer to collect the wage subsidy, or keep selling at a loss.

“I’m sitting on sanitizer which I manufactured and paid for months ago,” he said. “I’m selling inventory at a loss so that I can have cash flow required to survive. Every gallon I send out the door is a loss to the company.

“As far as we know, we were the first on this side of the country to be donating hand sanitizer,” he added.

“The prime minister said, ‘We need hand sanitizer.’ One of the first we donated to was the Victoria Police Department. We saw the need, and we pivoted hard. We were putting out 15 to 20,000 litres a week. I did five years worth of production in a month.”

For more news from Vancouver Island and beyond delivered daily into your inbox, please click here.

And this is why when the government asks me to help with stuff I tell them to pound sand because they will turn and kick you to the curb within a damn second with no thoughts about you.  You do great work trying to help out, sinking your own money in, etc. and they don't care.

I will be interested to know how that bedding guy in coquitlam (I think, cant remember where) who dumped 600k into mask making machines, how he's making out financially, if the government is buying off him or just importing everything from China.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Russ said:

My school provided us with two in September and offer replacements for lost of damaged ones and my school recently provided another three layer, personalized mask as well.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

My school provided us with two in September and offer replacements for lost of damaged ones and my school recently provided another three layer, personalized mask as well.

Thats awesome.  My work was offering masks, didn't realize it, then to many idiots kept loosing them or forgetting them so they scrapped that just as I wanted one and just offer disposables now.  Lucky for me I wear it for 10 seconds to sign in and thats it so doesn't matter to me if its disposable or not.

• Cheers 1