The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I have to say it's crazy how before masks were made mandatory, you'd see maybe 25% of customers in any given store wearing a mask.

Now, you see ONE person in a store without a mask and it's a pretty rare sighting.

Is it really the threat of a fine that's scaring people into complying, or do people just have to be told "it's the law" before they will actually do the right thing?

It's very.. confusing..

:huh::emot-parrot:

2 hours ago, ImConfused said:

I have to say it's crazy how before masks were made mandatory, you'd see maybe 25% of customers in any given store wearing a mask.

Now, you see ONE person in a store without a mask and it's a pretty rare sighting.

Is it really the threat of a fine that's scaring people into complying, or do people just have to be told "it's the law" before they will actually do the right thing?

It's very.. confusing..

:huh::emot-parrot:

I don't know where you are, but here in Victoria I would say that more than 90% of people were wearing a mask in stores prior to it being mandatory.  I think that here, most people took ownership of helping keep the infection rate low and it seems to be working.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I don't know where you are, but here in Victoria I would say that more than 90% of people were wearing a mask in stores prior to it being mandatory.  I think that here, most people took ownership of helping keep the infection rate low and it seems to be working.

In the north okanagan id say it was about 10-15% wearing masks before the mandate

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Silent Man said:

She has not done anything special, anything that goverments  around the world have not done.

respectfully disagree on this point. Her leadership style was different, and perfectly on point for BC during the 1st wave. 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

In the north okanagan id say it was about 10-15% wearing masks before the mandate

So, alot of stupid people in one geogrphical area. Glad I don't live or visit there.

Powelll River had about 70% wearing masks, before being told they had to.

Now close to 95%.

Still a few idiots though. :(

• Cheers 2

Yep, that new strain in England is causing more concern...

Several EU nations halt U.K. flights, fearing virus variant

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/several-eu-nations-halt-u-k-flights-fearing-virus-variant-1.5239194

BERLIN -- One by one, several European Union nations banned flights from the U.K. on Sunday and others were considering similar action in a bid to block a new strain of coronavirus sweeping across southern England from establishing a strong foothold on the continent.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Actually, I think it'll be the teenagers where it'll be hardest to enforce.  They're more defiant (generally...there are always exceptions).  IMO, a mandatory mask policy could lead to some of our most vulnerable students (lower income, behavioural issues, etc) not showing up/getting kicked out for not wearing a mask.  I think that may be why the province is balking at implementing a mandatory mask policy because it could leave these students behind and if it goes on for close to a year, you'll lose some of those older students forever. 

Now, this could totally be my bias showing as the father of an 8 and 6 year olds that are super compliant and a teacher at an Alternative High School where many students are anything but.  That being said, I do support mandatory masks in schools and would hope what I said above would be wrong.  Just theorizing a possible reason why masks haven't been made mandatory yet.

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying teenagers are difficult at times :lol: they don't like being told what to do I know I used to be the same, but at least the teenager can stay home if they chose not to wear a mask and the parent can still work and not have to be home to look after them. Then it's up to the parent to enforce it to their teenager or maybe put them into online schooling if they continue to refuse to wear a mask, but at least the teenager can do the schooling on their own at home still and not have a parent staying home to watch them. I was just thinking of the burden of elementary kids and parents who have to be home if their kid isn't at school because someone has to look after them and I know not everyone can do that. Some kids are compliant good to hear yours are, but not all kids are and it could be hard for some parents I would believe.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep, that new strain in England is causing more concern...

Several EU nations halt U.K. flights, fearing virus variant

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/several-eu-nations-halt-u-k-flights-fearing-virus-variant-1.5239194

BERLIN -- One by one, several European Union nations banned flights from the U.K. on Sunday and others were considering similar action in a bid to block a new strain of coronavirus sweeping across southern England from establishing a strong foothold on the continent.

Not good news, this worries me a bit because normally what happens over there first with covid issues then about a month roughly later it starts happening over here in North America. And who knows who has already traveled from there already before they shut it down, and where those people are now, possibly spreading this newer strain of the virus in different locations already. 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 4