The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Thats insane that the US has not shut down down air travel from the UK , where the new COVID strain is ravaging London and the SE of the UK (70% more contagious than the normal COVID)...Good thing Trudeau and Canada got on it early...

They dont even know if the new COVID vaccine can protect us from this new strain...Its in the lap of the gods now...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/what-we-know-so-far-about-the-new-coronavirus-strain-in-britain/ar-BB1c6Pxr?ocid=msedgntp

From the end of the story:

"

Doctors at the U.S. Walter Reed Army Institute of Research are currently researching how effective the current vaccines will be on he new strain. Though there is a worry that the vaccines won’t work on a significantly mutated virus, the doctors still expect vaccines to be effective, said Dr. Nelson Michael, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research at the institute.

“It stands to reason that this mutation isn’t a threat, but you never know. We still have to be diligent and continue to look,” Michael said.

The World Health Organization also doubled down on the sentiment.

“As we start using drugs and vaccines, viruses evolve to try to avoid those,” said WHO chief scientist Soumya Swaminathan. “At this point in time, I don’t think we have any evidence to suggest that the vaccines under development will not work for the majority of patients.”

"

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Cue the "not true Christian" fallacy for those who are rejecting the vaccine cause "muh religion" excuse.  Sad.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/vatican-advice-vaccines-1.5849823

'Morally acceptable' to receive COVID-19 vaccines regardless of cell line, Vatican says

Some Catholic groups have raised objections to research using cell lines or tissue derived from fetuses

Too much emphasis on the new variant. New variant emerge all the time. The problem is people traveling, congregate indoors. and not quarantined or tested. 

Stop Swapping Air. That how you avoid getting infected. The new variant is transmits the same way. It isn't more deadly. 

3 straight days over a million are traveling in US according TSA.   And people and media are worried about a new strain. The virus isn't having any problems finding a host. There is no selection pressure.  The only problematic "mutation" that is driving the spread that we should really be worried about are pandemic fatigue, ignorance, and infodemic. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Nutbars:  I won't believe it until I see the elites get the shot.

Elite get the shot.

Nutbars:  How dare the elites get the shot before us average folks.  Probably was a placebo because CONSPIRACY!

The rest of us:  :picard:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-covid-vaccine-america-b1777339.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Biden receives Covid vaccine on live TV in effort to inoculate America

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Breakdowns:

1,084 Fraser Health

283 VCH

189 Interior

90 Northern

21 Island

41 new deaths!

341 people currently being treated in the hospital / 80 in ICU

3,644 health care workers have been vaccinated

Vaccines have been sent to all health authorities now

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't usually watch the Ontario presser but Doug Ford has a point. The Feds need to stem the tide of international travelers potentially bringing in that new strain of virus. A mandatory quarantine hotel at port of entry in Canada should be required for ALL incoming travelers. Letting them quarantine at destination (with minimal enforcement) as it is currently means they go on to connect to however many other domestic flights and local transport... Makes no sense. Tons of hotels in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal are vacant. Use those.

Edited by trek
  • Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

In another reality I'd be on a beach in Lahaina Maui, surfing right now on my first trip to Hawaii........Xmas and New Years.

**** You covid

We were also going to be going to Maui in 6 days time ourselves! Got our air B n B $ back but due to the cheap flight we booked in early January we will only be able to get a credit from West Jet I believe...not sure how smoothly that process is but we will be finding out soon, probably gonna call today or tomorrow

UK reports record 36,804 virus cases

Tue 22 Dec 2020 16:24:52 GMT

Not a great sign about the new variant

Not a great sign about the new variant
  • Cases at 36,804 vs 7-day average of 29,121
  • Cases rose 33.517 yesterday
  • Deaths rise 691 vs 415 a day ago
The big problem with this chart is that the harsher measures started in late November, so you would have expected to see the continued drop. The same thing happened throughout Europe but this latest spike is only happening in the UK, and that's why virologists are so worried about this new strain.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-couple-cross-canada-us-border-delta-walk
Is this him?  Kidding and hope he recovers soon.

Lol.  No.  He drove over.  Came back and did the 14 day quarantine.  During that time, he and his wife felt I'll.  Got tested.  It came back positive.  At least he didn't spread it around the office. 

• Upvote 1