The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

BC will give the second dose at day 35, instead of 21-28 for the two vaccines. I think it's a good idea at the peak of pandemic. Data show at least 50% effective 10 days after the first dose. The annual flu vaccine is only 40-60% on good years.  The goal is to prevent serious disease, hospitalization and death. 

Note dose #1 and #2 don't match.  They are betting on that the 2nd dose supply chain will catch up. 

Former FDA chair favors this too, although now he is on board of directors for Pfizer. 

Screenshot_20201223-214815~2.png

So, the newer new South African variant found in the UK is more transmissible than the new UK variant that is more transmissible than the original covid?...:huh:..

Not good.

Another mutated coronavirus strain has been found in the U.K.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7539331/new-coronavirus-strain-uk/

...“This new variant is highly concerning, because it is yet more transmissible, and it appears to have mutated further than the new variant has been discovered in the U.K.,” Hancock said.

21 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

"Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and/or opinions".  Thing is, not every belief is correct or right.  You can say that you believe that the Earth is flat, and you would be patently false.  That belief is incorrect and is based on evidence, not personal opinion. 

In decisions like this, critical thinking would dictate that taking the vaccine is a much better option than not and being at risk for getting Covid-19.  This is a conclusion based on data and evidence.  Facts don't care about your feelings as some have said.  Reals vs. feels.  

Come on man! People all over the globe believe that the world is flat. B)

Now all of his feelings are hurt. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

So, the newer new South African variant found in the UK is more transmissible than the new UK variant that is more transmissible than the original covid?...:huh:..

Not good.

Another mutated coronavirus strain has been found in the U.K.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7539331/new-coronavirus-strain-uk/

...“This new variant is highly concerning, because it is yet more transmissible, and it appears to have mutated further than the new variant has been discovered in the U.K.,” Hancock said.

Wouldn't worry about it. It transmits the same way. Didn't grew a wing. Just keep doing the fundamental non pharmaceutical interventions. Distance, mask, good ventilated areas, low exposure time.  Don't swap air. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Wouldn't worry about it. It transmits the same way. Didn't grew a wing. Just keep doing the fundamental non pharmaceutical interventions. Distance, mask, good ventilated areas, low exposure time.  Don't swap air. 

Sure, but it rifles through those that don't respect the guidelines faster. 

As in, more transmittable. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Breaking news!

A new coronavirus variant discovered today in Vancouver, BC has grown wings and social distancing recommendations have been increased to 100 feet or more!

Merry Christmas eve, everyone - stay safe..

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Any word on the efficacy of the vaccine after the 2nd dose if taken with the additional 1-2 weeks delay?

The effect may be better, but the trial wasn't looking for that. There is argument either way. I feel it is better to get the numbers up in peak of pandemic, when the doses are limited. 

Some in my hospital are refusing the vaccine, mostly support staff that are non medical. This gives others a chance to get them. I will get the Pfizer one this Sat. I will post here of my experience if people want to know. 

Here is a comment from operation warp speed scientist. Bold underline text is from me. 

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3867521001?__twitter_impression=true

Timing of second Pfizer and Moderna shots not critical

Second dose of COVID vaccine from Pfizer or Moderna is needed, but timing doesn't have to be exact, says government vaccine developer

Karen Weintraub | USA TODAY | 4:48 pm EST December 11, 2020

The COVID-19 vaccine is using new technology that has never been used before in traditional vaccines. Here's how an mRNA vaccine works.

Just the FAQs, USA TODAY

People who get one of the new COVID-19 vaccines will be expected to get their second shot 21 or 28 days after the first one, depending on the manufacturer. But what happens if someone misses that deadline by a day, a week or even longer?

"There is the regulatory answer and there is the scientific observation," Moncef Slaoui, co-leader of Operation Warp Speed, the federal government's vaccine development effort, said in a Wednesday news conference.

Regulators are likely to authorize both vaccines – one likely within the next four days and the other a week later – with the expectation that people receive them on the schedule by which they were tested in clinical trials. The vaccine made by Pfizer/BioNTech is to be given in two doses 21 days apart, while Moderna's vaccine was studied with the two doses coming 28 days apart.

From a scientific perspective, such precision is not that important and the immune system generally responds better when there's a wider gap between vaccinations, said Slaoui, an immunologist who spent a 30-year career in vaccine development. 

But during a pandemic, when the risk of infection is high, he noted that people are better off getting the second shot – and being fully protected – according to the authorized schedule.

"If there is significant transmission of disease, as is the case here, we should absolutely get the second dose exactly as has been studied," he said.

Data released Tuesday by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, shows that protection from the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine starts almost immediately after the first shot.

"Hopefully, we will start affecting people's lives very quickly after the onset of campaigns to immunize," Slaoui said.

But the level of protection increases dramatically – from 52% to 95% – after the second shot, he said, and traditionally second shots provide longer-lasting immunity than a single dose. Everyone in the study got a second shot roughly 21 days after the first, so it's unclear whether protection from a single dose would be long-lasting.

Slaoui strongly discouraged people from getting just one dose, because it wasn't studied that way. 

"I'm absolutely not suggesting that the vaccine should be a one-dose vaccine," he said, though perhaps future studies could look at a one-dose regimen. 

Moncef Slaoui, right, tours Temple University Hospital with Tony Reed, chief medical officer, on Nov. 20. Slaoui is co-director of Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration's effort to rapidly develop, manufacture and distribute COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.

Moncef Slaoui, right, tours Temple University Hospital with Tony Reed, chief medical officer, on Nov. 20. Slaoui is co-director of Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration's effort to rapidly develop, manufacture and distribute COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.

Temple University Hospital

A third candidate vaccine being developed by Johnson & Johnson may require only one shot. The company is currently studying JNJ-78436735 as both a two-dose and a one-dose regimen.

Slaoui said 38,000 people out of 40,000 already have been enrolled in the J&J trials. The company will likely release safety and effectiveness data early next year, he said, at which point it will become clear whether the single dose is adequately protective.

Assuming one of the two approaches proves safe and effective, the FDA is likely to authorize use of that vaccine in late January or early February, he said.

Slaoui said he hopes all of the vaccines will provide long-lasting protection, and the immune data he's seen so far is encouraging. Trial participants are only required to be followed for two months to receive emergency authorization from the FDA, but companies plan to continue to follow them for 2 years to ensure longer lasting safety and effectiveness.

Contact Karen Weintraub at kweintraub@usatoday.com

Health and patient safety coverage at USA TODAY is made possible in part by a grant from the Masimo Foundation for Ethics, Innovation and Competition in Healthcare. The Masimo Foundation does not provide editorial input.

Originally Published 4:19 pm EST December 9, 2020

Updated 4:48 pm EST December 11, 2020

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure, but it rifles through those that don't respect the guidelines faster. 

As in, more transmittable. 

There is also early evidence that it has the ORF8 mutation that makes it less virulent in principle.  All this is theoretical. They are using epidemiological data and try to link it with genetic changes, which is not easy at all. They need to prove it experimentally, which is tough to do (can't do it in humans).  I won't lose sleep over it. They are testing the vaccine effect in this variant, will know in a couple of weeks. That is important to know. 

Meanwhile, people are spreading it over Xmas and new years. Expect cases, hospitalization and deaths to rise accordingly. My hospital has over 200 admitted now. Was 2000 in spring, then dropped to 20-30 from summer to Oct. The worst is yet to come. Keep yourself and your love ones safe. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

There is also early evidence that it has the ORF8 mutation that makes it less virulent in principle.  All this is theoretical. They are using epidemiological data and try to link it with genetic changes, which is not easy at all. They need to prove it experimentally, which is tough to do (can't do it in humans).  I won't lose sleep over it. They are testing the vaccine effect in this variant, will know in a couple of weeks. That is imperishable to know. 

Meanwhile, people are spreading it over Xmas and new years. Expect cases, hospitalization and deaths to rise accordingly. My hospital has over 200 admitted now. Was 2000 in spring, then dropped to 20-30 from summer to Oct. The worst is yet to come. Keep yourself and your love ones safe. 

I agree with the parts I understand.:lol:

For the record, I'm not personally worried as I live remote and follow protocols. Was just passing on the news. I am also originally from England so I keep tabs on that country a bit more. Mum has already lost a couple of friends to this damn virus. 

And, yes. Stay home people. I just go shooed out of the Xmas thread for reminding people of that. Which I agree with, this is the thread for all the covid concerns. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, CBH1926 said:

Hey all!

Merry Insert Nomenclature Here! everyone!

Just a shout out to back when the World changed.