The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

21 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Thanks for being respectful in your responses. I know it's an emotional time for everyone, and I know that my opinions can make people snap pretty easily. But I promise I come in peace, and I'm not doing anything to worsen the situation from an actions perspective. 

What is troubling for me though, is when we talk about returning to normal, there's a bit of an overarching belief that we WILL return to normal because of the vaccine. And to that I'll say these points: 

- Our goal is not to eradicate COVID. That will not happen. The flu vaccine exists, but there are still cases, and deaths, due to the flu. So when the COVID vaccine gets rolled out, and people still get COVID, are we always going to be scared of it? My thoughts are that yes, there will always be a level of fear. 

- Our perception of other people, public gatherings, events, etc will forever be changed. Everyone's life was impacted by this to such an extent that it's shaped our behaviour. I held the door open for someone at a bookstore the other day, and they didn't even walk through the door. The more we dig this hole, the more likely that our behaviour will continue to change to a point where, like I mentioned earlier, going to a Canucks game with 18000+ people not wearing masks becomes less likely of a possibility. When did we become so afraid of diseases, and dying, that we stopped living? 

And I feel the need to comment on your point about looking after the elderly. It's a tough spot to be in, no doubt. But I feel like if I was someone who was 90+, living in the time we're living in now, I would have a really hard time with restrictions. I mean the measures that are meant to protect elderly people, are isolating them in their homes, depriving them of enjoying experiences with friends/family, and there's no end in sight. There was a survey by the Seniors Advocate in BC that overwhelmingly showed that the majority of elderly people would much rather see friends/family and get COVID than be restricted/locked down. Why are these voices ignored, if they are the people we're trying to protect? 

Well, let me flip things a bit for you. Perhaps part of the reason why wouldn't completely "eradicate" this is because of the people who don't want to take a vaccine at all. It literally leaves a door open for the vaccine to continue spreading and it's knowing people out there aren't willing to vaccinate and help  others that really can be unnerving for a lot of people as it means this virus will have that fighting chance that it certainly doesn't deserve. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should vaccinate right away. I'm more saying if anyone wants things to get back to normal, vaccination's going to get us there faster. If you want us to open up, but not be willing to vaccinate, that's a double-edged sword at the end of the day and reckless abandon at best in my opinion.

Despite what it may seem like now, 2020 will gradually become history. Imagine what people who were going through the Spanish flu felt 100 years ago and think about how little any of us thought about the Spanish flu before 2020. And it's not just the Spanish flu. Think about a lot of events that have happened the past century that might have seemed like a big deal at the time, but are slowly turning into a footnote in history in a lot of cases. Truth is, we will get back to normal eventually. If anything, we might just be more cautious in the meantime, which is fine and only for the better really.

In terms of your opinion on the 90+ people, I don't think it's right to judge people like that. You don't know them. You don't know what they want and what they don't want. Given a lot of peoples'  reactions to your opinions on this forum, would it be safe to say what you want is often very different than what the majority wants? ;)

The way I see it, the people ignoring those voices the most right now are the anti-maskers, or the ones who just don't care. Sure, isolation is tough, but the people I mentioned are often making it far worse. We need to look out for each other in the end and not just for ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

11913 (+378) cases to date in the Vancouver Coastal Health region

32260 (+1375) in the Fraser Health region

3749 (+238) in the Interior Health region 901 (+44) in the Island Health region

1890 (+171) in the Northern Health region

102 (+0) of people who reside outside of Canada

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

5 day update:

2,206 new cases  (total 50,815)

512 cases, 447 cases, 424 cases, 441 cases, 382 cases

80 in ICU

74 people have died over the past 5 days

(no further breakdowns given yet)

This is over 5 total days?  Seems the numbers are in fact consistently going down since the November lockdowns were implemented.  Again.

EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING will rest on the end of the first week and 2nd weeks of January to see if people listened at all over the holidays.  A months effort or more could be undone by the selfishness of people who just needed that perfect gift or that turkey with family.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is over 5 total days?  Seems the numbers are in fact consistently going down since the November lockdowns were implemented.  Again.

EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING will rest on the end of the first week and 2nd weeks of January to see if people listened at all over the holidays.  A months effort or more could be undone by the selfishness of people who just needed that perfect gift or that turkey with family.

I haven't left my house in daaaays.  I'm out of:  bread, milk, fruit.   

I have wine so I guess I'll survive.

I even called Dad to say I'd be laying low as much as possible.  Store ONLY when our combined lists require a trip to get everything all at once.  Shut down mode.

I'm currently quite terrified to be out and about, knowing so many are getting restless and defiant.  Tis the season.

On tonight's menu:  celery, carrots, a radish and a freezer burned hamburger bun with melted cheese & pepper.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I'd say do it while twerking to get on their speaking grounds but it's probably not a fad there anymore.

Oh my God you just killed me. 

Yep.

(I think Dr. Bonnie should have to up her game....get more people listening!)

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh my God you just killed me. 

Yep.

(I think Dr. Bonnie should have to up her game....get more people listening!)

Could be like those "don't you put it in your mouth!" commercials back in the day, except with twerking!

53 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Thanks for being respectful in your responses. I know it's an emotional time for everyone, and I know that my opinions can make people snap pretty easily. But I promise I come in peace, and I'm not doing anything to worsen the situation from an actions perspective. 

What is troubling for me though, is when we talk about returning to normal, there's a bit of an overarching belief that we WILL return to normal because of the vaccine. And to that I'll say these points: 

- Our goal is not to eradicate COVID. That will not happen. The flu vaccine exists, but there are still cases, and deaths, due to the flu. So when the COVID vaccine gets rolled out, and people still get COVID, are we always going to be scared of it? My thoughts are that yes, there will always be a level of fear. 

- Our perception of other people, public gatherings, events, etc will forever be changed. Everyone's life was impacted by this to such an extent that it's shaped our behaviour. I held the door open for someone at a bookstore the other day, and they didn't even walk through the door. The more we dig this hole, the more likely that our behaviour will continue to change to a point where, like I mentioned earlier, going to a Canucks game with 18000+ people not wearing masks becomes less likely of a possibility. When did we become so afraid of diseases, and dying, that we stopped living? 

And I feel the need to comment on your point about looking after the elderly. It's a tough spot to be in, no doubt. But I feel like if I was someone who was 90+, living in the time we're living in now, I would have a really hard time with restrictions. I mean the measures that are meant to protect elderly people, are isolating them in their homes, depriving them of enjoying experiences with friends/family, and there's no end in sight. There was a survey by the Seniors Advocate in BC that overwhelmingly showed that the majority of elderly people would much rather see friends/family and get COVID than be restricted/locked down. Why are these voices ignored, if they are the people we're trying to protect? 

Several points. 

Polio is something you said you would get a vaccine for. It cause paralysis less than 1% of the cases. 70% asymptomatic in children. Sound familiar? Like those saying covid is 99% survival therefore they don't need to care. People get their kids vaccinated because they are afraid their children will be paralyzed for life. Similarly, we should get vaccinated even if your risk is low, in order to reduce spread and save the vulnerable. 

You are correct this disease likely won't be eradicated like small pox. But vaccines do work, and reduces severe cases by 99-100% based on both mRNA vaccine trial. That means people don't overwhelm the hospitals and we don't need to lock down. Those who can't take the vaccine will need to take more precautions but we don't need to shut down the society. We don't do that for seasonal flu becuase it isn't a new pathogen in the human population, we have effective antivirals, moderate effective vaccines (40-60%) that also prevent severe illness and shorten hospitalizations. 

You seemed to be a person who is concerned about others.  Therefore by taking part in vaccination program you will be a part of the solution.  Even for selfish reasons, getting the vaccine will a good idea. I'm doing it just so I can go see a live canucks game! Just kidding. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

'Super gonorrhea' may increase in wake of COVID-19 — here’s why

The World Health Organization (WHO) is warning about the potential rise in antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea — also known as “super gonorrhea” — due to overuse of antibiotics during the COVID-19 pandemic. The news, delivered to British newspaper the Sun via a WHO spokesperson, elicited both concern and humor on social media Monday.

Specifically, the spokesperson mentioned a frequently prescribed antibiotic known as azithromycin, and said that, overall, “overuse of antibiotics in the community can fuel the emergence of antimicrobial resistance in [gonorrhea].” But what is super gonorrhea, and is it something to worry about in the U.S.? Here’s what you need to know.

Antibiotic overuse could induce an increase in "super gonorrhea" cases. (Photo: Getty Creative stock photo)
Antibiotic overuse could induce an increase in "super gonorrhea" cases. (Photo: Getty Creative stock photo)

It’s a type of gonorrhea that’s proven resistant to the drugs used to treat it

Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease that affects more than 1 million Americans per year. Super gonorrhea refers to strains of the STD that do not respond to common antibiotics. The first cases of super gonorrhea appeared in Japan in 2011, but antibiotic resistant strains have since spread to many countries, including the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) hosts an information page on super gonorrhea saying that it has “quickly developed resistance to all but one class of antibiotics” and that as many as half of new gonorrhea infections are resistant to at least one antibiotic.

Dr. Bruce Y. Lee, a professor of at CUNY School of Public Health & Health Policy, predicted the arrival of super gonorrhea to the U.S. in a 2018 op-ed for Forbes, following the first case in the U.K. Speaking with Yahoo Life, Lee says that super gonorrhea is one of many “super bugs,” or strains of bacteria that become resistant to the drugs used to treat them. “In 2017, the WHO published a list of bad superbugs and drug-resistant gonorrhea was one of them,” says Lee. “So it’s always been a concern.”

Azithromycin, a standard treatment for gonorrhea, has been prescribed frequently during the pandemic

Lee says concern about an impending rise in super gonorrhea stems from the use of a specific antibiotic called azithromycin. A broad-spectrum antibiotic (meaning it’s an effective treatment for many conditions), azithromycin was prescribed early on in the pandemic due to its success with pneumonia. But Lee says its use significantly increased after some experts suggested that it be used in combination with hydroxychloroquine, an immunosuppressant that doctors have since been discouraged from prescribing to COVID-19 patients.

“At the time, people were trying all kinds of things — especially anything that may have anti-inflammatory properties,” says Lee. “But basically scientific studies have not found benefit of adding azithromycin to standard of care for patients hospitalized with COVID-19.”

More in the link ...... https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/super-gonorrhea-increase-coronavirus-231115597.html

I think I speak for everyone here when I say ... Piss Off 2020.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ontario-finance-minister-trip-christmas-sacrifices

Ontario finance minister left Canada for trip after posting about making Christmas "sacrifices"

Ontario’s finance minister left Canada for a personal trip after posting a message online about making “sacrifices” for the holiday.

Health officials in Ontario have been emphasizing the importance for individuals to not take non-essential trips as the case count continues to climb in the province and in the country.

Finance Minister Rod Phillips said the trip was planned sometime ago before he left in early December.

“Immediately following the end of the Legislative Session, which occurred on December 8th, my wife and I departed on a previously planned personal trip outside of the country,” he said in a statement.

“Had I been aware then of the eventual December 26th Province wide shutdown, we would have canceled the trip.”

Phillips said he has continued his work daily as the Minister of Finance and MPP for Ajax and has participated in “dozens of digital Ministry, constituency and cabinet committee calls and meetings.”

“We will continue to observe public health directives, including the 14-day quarantine.”

On Christmas Eve, Phillips tweeted a message to frontline workers thanking them for the “sacrifices” they made during the holiday season.
It was unknown during this time that he was on vacation.

During a press conference on Tuesday with health officials, when asked about Phillips’ departure from the country, Associate Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Barbra Yaffe, said that she could not specifically comment on the minister’s actions.

However, she emphasized that public health advice remains the same for individuals to not travel for non-essential reasons.

“Doug Ford let Sam Oosterhoff off the hook when he held a big family shindig. Ford let himself off the hook for gathering with family when he told the rest of us we can’t. These guys just think the rules don’t apply to them,” said Singh in a statement.

Another case of politicians ignoring their own rules and then trying to pass it off through feigned ignorance...

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Several points. 

Polio is something you said you would get a vaccine for. It cause paralysis only 1% of the cases. 70% asymptomatic in children. Sound familiar? Like those saying covid is 99% survival therefore they don't need to care. People get they kids vaccinated because they are afraid their children will be paralyzed for life. Similarly, we should get vaccinated even if your risk is low, in order to reduce spread. 

I was talking with my mom about this last week. She was in grade 9 a couple of years before the first polio vaccine came out. She remembers a girl in her class who said she wouldn't follow the cautions to not be in groups, etc. and said 'if I get it I get it. She got it. 

Even the threat of paralysis can't stop dumb.

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I haven't left my house in daaaays.  I'm out of:  bread, milk, fruit.   

I have wine so I guess I'll survive.

I even called Dad to say I'd be laying low as much as possible.  Store ONLY when our combined lists require a trip to get everything all at once.  Shut down mode.

I'm currently quite terrified to be out and about, knowing so many are getting restless and defiant.  Tis the season.

On tonight's menu:  celery, carrots, a radish and a freezer burned hamburger bun with melted cheese & pepper.

Literally needed bread, milk and a lemon before Christmas.  spent 30 minutes waiting in line to get in to a Safeway.  forgot the milk, went to the save on which was in the mall.  line up was literally 90+ people long.  

Ended up getting milk from a gas station, haven't left since.

Im genuinely worried judging by the numbers of people I saw that we'll be seeing those numbers push past 650-700+ per day again.

People are inherently selfish

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

Depends on what your definition of "normal" is.  Life is never normal.  You know the old saying, the only thing that's constant in life is change.  Things happen in our lives that keep things from staying completely normal.  Look at what happened to security after 911.  Some people live's have never been back to normal after the Tsunami.  You know what, if someone were to tell me that I'll would experience a world wide disaster in my life time and all I had to do was endure a year or two of wearing masks, not travelling too far and social distancing, I'll take that.  

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

What makes you think that even with the Vaccine, you can't go back to doing some of the things we've been doing before? The purpose of a Vaccine is to protect the individual from getting infected with the Virus.  Measles is still circulating in the world today but we are not concerned because most of us have been protected with a Vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

It did not take me long to learn to social distance and avoid others.  It will not take me long to reverse that.  For some, they didn't bother changing their behavior in the first place so what's the issue?

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

You are assuming that all seniors would rather get Covid and see their loved ones than to have these restrictions when that is not the case.  As we have seen, with all these outbreaks in Care Homes,  Covid can spread like wildfire and not everyone in the homes want it.  You are also forgetting that the workers would be at an increased risk as well and I'm sure they don't want to get it either.  

• Vintage 2