The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

49 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Thanks for being respectful in your responses. I know it's an emotional time for everyone, and I know that my opinions can make people snap pretty easily. But I promise I come in peace, and I'm not doing anything to worsen the situation from an actions perspective. 

What is troubling for me though, is when we talk about returning to normal, there's a bit of an overarching belief that we WILL return to normal because of the vaccine. And to that I'll say these points: 

- Our goal is not to eradicate COVID. That will not happen. The flu vaccine exists, but there are still cases, and deaths, due to the flu. So when the COVID vaccine gets rolled out, and people still get COVID, are we always going to be scared of it? My thoughts are that yes, there will always be a level of fear. 

I think the goal is to create herd immunity safely, by utilizing the vaccines.  Currently, the  BC government has determined that 80% of the population will agree to the vaccine over the coming months. This figure will be above what is considered herd immunity.  If all the front line workers, elderly and others with medical issues have received the vaccine by April, there will a huge drop off in the daily infection rate (and certainly we can exhale that the death rate will plummet).  Dr. Henry has stated that everyone in BC who wants the vaccine, will have it by Sept.  By then, the numbers will be incredibly small.  A virus needs many, many hosts to survive and just like Sars Covid-1 and the Spanish Flu; once herd immunity has been established, they tend to just fade away. 

- Our perception of other people, public gatherings, events, etc will forever be changed. Everyone's life was impacted by this to such an extent that it's shaped our behaviour. I held the door open for someone at a bookstore the other day, and they didn't even walk through the door. The more we dig this hole, the more likely that our behaviour will continue to change to a point where, like I mentioned earlier, going to a Canucks game with 18000+ people not wearing masks becomes less likely of a possibility. When did we become so afraid of diseases, and dying, that we stopped living? 

In my experience, people usually tend to go back to whatever was normal to them before a life 'event'.  With herd immunity beating down the virus to submission, folks will see the results in the low number of positive tests and will gain confidence in their safety.  There may be some behaviour changes, like; less shaking hands, more cleanliness/washing hands, taking time off when sick (during infectious days), if sick, wearing a mask to do an errand and placing a higher value on loved ones.

People that are afraid of the virus and dying, are the folks that are at risk to have that happen.  They are the folks whose lives have completely been stifled over the past few months.  The rest of us are still out there; working, enjoying nature, staying in contact with loved ones (with whatever means that are safe), going to school, working on home improvements, etc.

And I feel the need to comment on your point about looking after the elderly. It's a tough spot to be in, no doubt. But I feel like if I was someone who was 90+, living in the time we're living in now, I would have a really hard time with restrictions. I mean the measures that are meant to protect elderly people, are isolating them in their homes, depriving them of enjoying experiences with friends/family, and there's no end in sight. There was a survey by the Seniors Advocate in BC that overwhelmingly showed that the majority of elderly people would much rather see friends/family and get COVID than be restricted/locked down. Why are these voices ignored, if they are the people we're trying to protect? 

Imo, this pandemic has affected the very old and the very young the most. Time will tell how much the kiddies have missed in their overall development, as well as their mental health.

For the elderly, we can only hope that there will be a silver lining in this horrible year. I'm talking about the living conditions and lax healthcare in some care homes.  Hopefully, our communities will support a kinder and more generous way for our elders to live out their days being safe, cared for and feeling like they are a part of the community.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

That’s just in my county in ONT.   unfortunately...guess this wasn’t a ruse after all.   And I live in a small town with 5k people.   Schools got it.  In-laws neighbours went to the hospital via ambulance and lost 25lbs fighting it.   But Boxing Day in Alberta looked like this... no joke - malls are open but it’s a LOCKDOWN.   I’m all for closing the Albertan border for my family and friends that still live there. black friday fighting GIF by South Park

I live in a county that has population of 925k or so, thus far 1012 deaths and 61 000 cases.

• Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

5 day update:

2,206 new cases  (total 50,815)

512 cases, 447 cases, 424 cases, 441 cases, 382 cases

80 in ICU

74 people have died over the past 5 days  :shock:

(no further breakdowns given yet)

Trending in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I haven't left my house in daaaays.  I'm out of:  bread, milk, fruit.   

I have wine so I guess I'll survive.

I even called Dad to say I'd be laying low as much as possible.  Store ONLY when our combined lists require a trip to get everything all at once.  Shut down mode.

I'm currently quite terrified to be out and about, knowing so many are getting restless and defiant.  Tis the season.

On tonight's menu:  celery, carrots, a radish and a freezer burned hamburger bun with melted cheese & pepper.

A lot of supermarkets deliver groceries. I'm sure you're aware of this, but others may not be. It might be a good time for people to start considering that option for a while.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Kieth Baldry was saying that they did less testing on Christmas and boxing day. I wonder if they caught up with any backlog or if the results are skewed slightly downward.

Add new variants and holiday get togethers and we may see a trend in the other direction soon. I hope not.

• Thanks 3

Oh gosh, WR...I'm so sorry to hear that!!  Yep...being alone in a hospital would truly be awful!  It's a really rough time for those we're trying to protect ... elderly loved ones through what feels like we're neglecting them!   I know my Dad is starved for conversation and attention but when I'm there I'm in/out of there as quickly as possible.  It's such a horrible thing to go through.

Just heard on the news that a medical clinic here left 500 doses of the vaccine out at room temperature, so they're no good.  Not very smart!  This stuff's like gold right now...how the heck do they not know how to properly handle it when even I do???!!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Quebec Liberal vacationing down south despite repeated warnings to stay home

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/29/quebec-liberal-vacationing-down-south-despite-repeated-warnings-to-stay-home/?fbclid=IwAR2BoBZ6Vf2ykDqGYN3jf73ncYtmErysabTvQzsVila7UrOu0v-lrRXe0AM

Remember, one rule for them, one rule for the rest of us.

While some are apparently living in fear of a virus, the rest are living their lives.

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/29/quebec-liberal-vacationing-down-south-despite-repeated-warnings-to-stay-home/?fbclid=IwAR2BoBZ6Vf2ykDqGYN3jf73ncYtmErysabTvQzsVila7UrOu0v-lrRXe0AM

While some are apparently living in fear of a virus, the rest are living their lives.

From the article:

According to Radio-Canada, which first reported the news, Arcand was spotted by a witness in the Glitter Bay district of the country.

Arcand says in his statement he “regrets this decision given the current situation in Quebec and the respect we owe to health-care workers.”

Translation:  he regrets being spotted.

Just once I'd like one of these people to say they screwed up BEFORE being outed by the press.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

No shortage of entitlement. 

US Congressman (elect) dies from COVID-19

Wed 30 Dec 2020 03:08:42 GMT

Luke Letlow (R) won election to Congress to represent Louisiana. He contracted the coronavirus infection on December 18 and was admitted to hospital soon after.

He has now passed away, survived by a wife and two children, He was only 41 years old.
Just awfully sad news for a man in the prime of his life, and his family.

Luke Letlow won election to Congress to represent Louisiana. He contracted the coronavirus infection on December 18 and was admitted to hospital soon after.

The virus continues to cut a swathe through the US, and many other countries also. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I am totally expecting cases count go up in January. I was driving past Coquitlam center before Christmas, parking lot was full to the rims. I've done all my shopping on Internet, groceries delivered, no problems whatsoever. Just can't understand why it is necessary right now to go shopping . Besides, it takes a lot of time that can be used for something better then spending time in malls. Just my opinion, anyway.

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

US Congressman (elect) dies from COVID-19

Wed 30 Dec 2020 03:08:42 GMT

Luke Letlow (R) won election to Congress to represent Louisiana. He contracted the coronavirus infection on December 18 and was admitted to hospital soon after.

He has now passed away, survived by a wife and two children, He was only 41 years old.
Just awfully sad news for a man in the prime of his life, and his family.

Luke Letlow won election to Congress to represent Louisiana. He contracted the coronavirus infection on December 18 and was admitted to hospital soon after.

The virus continues to cut a swathe through the US, and many other countries also. 

Not old.  Not obese.  Probably doesn't have any other major health issues.

I thought Covid-19 wasn't anything to worry about.   /s

Any reasonable parent of two young children should use this as a warning.   If you don't take this pandemic seriously, your kids may grow up without you.  That, or you may end up with significant health issues that will make raising said children much more difficult. 

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am totally expecting cases count go up in January. I was driving past Coquitlam center before Christmas, parking lot was full to the rims. I've done all my shopping on Internet, groceries delivered, no problems whatsoever. Just can't understand why it is necessary right now to go shopping . Besides, it takes a lot of time that can be used for something better then spending time in malls. Just my opinion, anyway.

AdeptBigIberianbarbel-size_restricted.gi

• Haha 3