The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

38 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Canada bought more doses on purpose, not only to ensure that all Canadians could get two doses each, but also so that poorer countries could be confident that they have a global partner that would be there for them as well. 

Had you dug into it a little, you wouldn’t need to philosophize....4&^@#sake. 

Too true! I guess my shovel is a little shorter than some. I get that we’ll share if we have 9 doses per Canadian. I’m talking about when. I tend to agree with Gurn, after everyone who wants to be vaccinated is. However I think the WHO is suggesting that if we wait too long it may be too late. Morally that’s true because what we are saying is that because we live in a wealthy country we are all entitled to be vaccinated before anyone living in poorer places.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Morally that’s true because what we are saying is that because we live in a wealthy country we are all entitled to be vaccinated before anyone living in poorer places.

I don't have a problem with that especially if our taxes are paying for it.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Too true! I guess my shovel is a little shorter than some. I get that we’ll share if we have 9 doses per Canadian. I’m talking about when. I tend to agree with Gurn, after everyone who wants to be vaccinated is. However I think the WHO is suggesting that if we wait too long it may be too late. Morally that’s true because what we are saying is that because we live in a wealthy country we are all entitled to be vaccinated before anyone living in poorer places.

There most likely will be a simultaneous process once there’s enough production to vaccinate and donate. 

In terms of donating excess vaccine to other countries, I think when we're at the point where product exceeds demand, we can then allocate the excess to other countries.  We may not have completed our own vaccinations by that time, but as an example, if we have orders for 10M doses and we only require 5M to vaccinate our remaining population, then rather than wait for that 5 M to be administered, use the excess 5M for some other country, ideally one that aligns with our values.  I expect with the volume that we have ordered and the numbers of manufacturers that we have ordered from we will be in the position sooner than later.  

25 minutes ago, skategal said:

In terms of donating excess vaccine to other countries, I think when we're at the point where product exceeds demand, we can then allocate the excess to other countries.  We may not have completed our own vaccinations by that time, but as an example, if we have orders for 10M doses and we only require 5M to vaccinate our remaining population, then rather than wait for that 5 M to be administered, use the excess 5M for some other country, ideally one that aligns with our values.  I expect with the volume that we have ordered and the numbers of manufacturers that we have ordered from we will be in the position sooner than later.  

That is my thinking as well but isn’t the current timeline for that sometime around September? I would hate to live in one of these countries that gets their first vaccines that late. All the WHO is really saying is that wealthy nations have scooped all the available supply. I kind of struggle with that. It reminds me how we felt when Trump ordered 3M to stop sending ppe to Canada.

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The federal approval of the vaccines from J&J and Astra Zeneca is really good news, because both vaccines are way easier to handle than the vaccines from BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna. For example the Pfizer/BionTECH vaccine needs to be transported by a temperature of approximately minus 80 degrees, which is challenging. Because of this requirement it is not possible to deliver the vaccine to medical practices, at least in Germany. 

You are right, both vaccines from J&J and AstraZeneca are far cheaper than Pfizer's/BionTEch and Moderna's. At the same time the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BionTech vaccine is far higher than the effectiveness of AstraZeneca's. I remind that the effectiveness rate of the Pfizer vaccine was communicated with above 90% compared to roughly 70% of the Astra Zeneca's vaccine (that's at least the last number I have found on the internetI, which is a huge difference.

If I would decide to get the vaccine I would definitely ask for the Pfizer/BioNTEch vaccine just because it provides more protection against the virus.

The Pfizer one doesn’t provide ‘more’ protection against the virus, it provides the same protection it just has a higher efficacy  

also with the Oxford vaccine the 70% figure was a blended figure based on the two processes that ended up happening, with the smaller dose followed by a full dose giving around 90% Efficacy. 

8 hours ago, 4petesake said:

That is my thinking as well but isn’t the current timeline for that sometime around September? I would hate to live in one of these countries that gets their first vaccines that late. All the WHO is really saying is that wealthy nations have scooped all the available supply. I kind of struggle with that. It reminds me how we felt when Trump ordered 3M to stop sending ppe to Canada.

I think that we will be in a position sooner than September to be able to say that we have more than enough vaccine available in the pipeline to ensure everyone in Canada can get vaccinated.  Not saying we will be close to having everyone vaccinated but I'm hopeful that by early summer we can start allocating some committed supply to other countries.  Once some of the other manufacturers come online and we understand their production capacity we should be there.  Part of our delay is the ability to keep it organized so we target the most vulnerable first then gradually move down the line.  Also, right now our capability to administer the vaccine is limited somewhat by the requirements of storage etc.  If we can improve that, we can increase who can give the shots, then speed up how fast we can roll it out.  

I'm proud of the fact that we over ordered specifically to be able to redirect supply to poorer countries.  So very Canadian!  

17 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

EsIe7moUYAI4Knh?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah I heard the Rio Theatre converted from a movie theatre into a sports bar.  I think it's actually riskier to be in a sports bar than a movie theatre since there is more social interaction in a sports bar, and people get drunk. Whereas in a movie theatre, you stay in one spot and there is no social interaction. And people don't wear masks when their eating/drinking in a sports bar, whereas in a movie theatre, you would have to wear a mask...

7 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Some good news.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/20/covid-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-likely-to-be-effective-against-uk-variant.html

Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine found to be effective against Covid variant discovered in UK

• The variant, known as B.1.1.7., has an unusually high number of mutations and is associated with more efficient and rapid transmission.
  • It had led to concerns about the effectiveness of Covid vaccines against it.
  • Authors of the study warned the rapid spread of mutations worldwide required “continuous monitoring of the significance of changes for maintained protection by currently authorized vaccines.”

Whew....thank goodness.

• Hydration 3
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic