The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Watching Global News this morning, outbreak at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster not good.

It's the outbreaks that are happening in the schools, another 3 in Surrey this weekend, it was 6 last weekend and 1 in Delta. It's funny how many posters here would mock KingofSurrey last year when he was complaining about making mask mandatory in schools, you guys should really give your heads a shake. :picard:

Outbreak in some Cortney/Comox schools as well.

And KOS was moaning about masks last year, but the outbreaks are happening this year, so no headshaking required. Things change in a virus world.

New info comes in and new reactions are required, no surprise.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Outbreak in some Cortney/Comox schools as well.

And KOS was moaning about masks last year, but the outbreaks are happening this year, so no headshaking required. Things change in a virus world.

New info comes in and new reactions are required, no surprise.

They were happening last year just not as strong :lol:, it's funny how easily people were led to believe it couldn't spread in schools :picard:, just everywhere else :lol:

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

They were happening last year just not as strong :lol:, it's funny how easily people were led to believe it couldn't spread in schools :picard:, just everywhere else :lol:

Never did any medical health person say it would not happen in any place. Just that it was less likely in schools, due to the kids ages.

And the medical folk were right, outbreaks/cases at schools do happen less than the population at large.

Radio up in Powell River was citing a size of 10%  of the population for school age kids but  6.3% of  infections. So lower than society norms.

Info changes, response changes. 

Science.

• Vintage 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-canada-vaccines-sh-idUSKBN2AQ2QX?utm_source=reddit.com

AstraZeneca vaccine made in India to arrive in Canada on Wednesday

A shipment of 500,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and made by the Serum Institute of India is set to arrive in Canada on Wednesday, the chief executive of local partner Verity Pharmaceuticals said on Friday.

Verity’s chief executive, Howard Glase, said the shipment is not part of Canada’s allocation from the COVAX system, meant to ensure equitable vaccine distribution. Canada has a separate procurement deal with AstraZeneca, which licensed the vaccine to Serum Institute, the world’s largest vaccine producer.

I suppose another factor to consider in which vaccine to take is how long they are effective for.

As far as I know, we don't know yet how long any of these vaccines are effective for (am I wrong?).

It could turn out that the Pfizer, with a 90% efficacy rate (or whatever) lasts for a year.  But the AZ, with a 75% rate (or whatever) is good for five years.  Or vice-versa.

In terms of logistics and costs, that could have a bearing on which vaccine is promoted by any government.

Edited by UnkNuk

Regardless of the new research into the effectiveness of AstraZeneca, some people are refusing it.

From Daily Mirror:

Germany's government this week began pleading with people to take the vaccine.

France's government meanwhile said it wants to 'rehabilitate' the AstraZeneca jab - as EU leaders try to undo the doubts they sowed about its effectiveness.

Only 150,000 out of 1.5million doses of the jab had been used in Germany on Friday, with many deliberately skipping appointments after learning they would receive the Oxford vaccine.

In Berlin, the Tegel vaccination centres, which only offer the AstraZeneca jabs, say 200 people are keeping the 3,800 daily appointments, The Times reported this week.

In France, health workers have also been refusing the vaccine after President Macron's comments during the heated row over its effectiveness.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

Just want to UPDATE!!! on my sister and her hubby, i am so excited they took her off the ventilator  today and she is able to breathe on her own.. after so many days of not good news, this is such wonderful news for her and our family, i think i am finally able  to feel good about life again

So excited for you, glad the update is positive.  I've been checking in daily for an update from you, hoping for the best and holding my breath each time.  I can't imagine how relieved you must be.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Lots of conprehensive information corroborated with sources. Thanks. I would like to add the following in regards to the AZ vaccine:

AstraZeneca may not apply for a US FDA Emergency Use Authorization until the spring. The data from their UK trial was "odd" and had one "pretty serious error" in it, a US vaccine expert said. 

There is a seperate US phase 3 trial ongoing now.  My hospital is involved in the US trial (I'm not involved).  Head of the operation warp speed Moncef Slaoui on Jan 12 said EUA submission in March for AZ is likely, as they need at least 60 days of follow up safety data. 

The original AZ trial is a mixture of the trials in UK, Brazil and South Africa, and they were not identical.  One of the error include unintentional giving half dose in the first shot in some participants due to supplier mistake in using a different technique in measuring vaccine dose.  Not having enough participants over age 65 was also an oversight. Health Canada took their time, and also reviewed the newer data from real world usage in UK. 

Edited by Jaimito

10 hours ago, DonLever said:

Regardless of the new research into the effectiveness of AstraZeneca, some people are refusing it.

From Daily Mirror:

France's government meanwhile said it wants to 'rehabilitate' the AstraZeneca jab - as EU leaders try to undo the doubts they sowed about its effectiveness.

Only 150,000 out of 1.5million doses of the jab had been used in Germany on Friday, with many deliberately skipping appointments after learning they would receive the Oxford vaccine.

In Berlin, the Tegel vaccination centres, which only offer the AstraZeneca jabs, say 200 people are keeping the 3,800 daily appointments, The Times reported this week.

In France, health workers have also been refusing the vaccine after President Macron's comments during the heated row over its effectiveness.

That's quite unfortunate. Europe getting hit hard and without enough vaccine supply this will only add to more illness and death. Better just ship them to other countries rather than wasting them (Ghana and Ivory Coast just got them from COVAX).  These vaccines are already proven safe in large trials, and real world use in UK. Even if the efficacy is lower than people like, they are effective.  Getting this vaccine won't preclude you in getting a different one in future, which is likely needed (yearly booster) until the spread is lowered globally so that variants are not generated so frequently. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DonLever said:

From Daily Mirror:

Unfortunately some  EU leaders were playing politics with the vaccine due to their lower supplies, which has resulted in anti vax/ vaccine scepticism. Now they are scrambling to undo that. 

the Oxford vaccine is likely to be one of the major ones globally due to its cost in comparison. The trial data had a lack of figures for the over 65s not a show of poor efficacy. Really world data is holding up that the vaccine is pretty effective and doing it’s job. Macron was spinning this to deflect blame away from their poor vaccine roll out program. 

during the session of the European Parliament when they were grilling Soriot  (I’m looking for the transcript or sound clip) which was him being asked about why the UK seems to be getting preferential treatment when the contracts were broadly similar and signed at a similar time.

the response was interesting in that the lower volume is down to sites producing lower amount of vaccine per litre that the low estimate, and due to the market size c65million  Uk vs c450 million EU that even if the UK figures were altered it wouldn’t make a noticeable different at all.

also fired back a retort that the UK government funded the vaccine early, paid for new equipment and the ability to upgrade and upscale their facilities  to increase production (the same facilities the EU supply is coming from)

it’s worth a listen if I can find a link to it 

46 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Unfortunately some  EU leaders were playing politics with the vaccine due to their lower supplies, which has resulted in anti vax/ vaccine scepticism. Now they are scrambling to undo that. 

the Oxford vaccine is likely to be one of the major ones globally due to its cost in comparison. The trial data had a lack of figures for the over 65s not a show of poor efficacy. Really world data is holding up that the vaccine is pretty effective and doing it’s job. Macron was spinning this to deflect blame away from their poor vaccine roll out program. 

during the session of the European Parliament when they were grilling Soriot  (I’m looking for the transcript or sound clip) which was him being asked about why the UK seems to be getting preferential treatment when the contracts were broadly similar and signed at a similar time.

the response was interesting in that the lower volume is down to sites producing lower amount of vaccine per litre that the low estimate, and due to the market size c65million  Uk vs c450 million EU that even if the UK figures were altered it wouldn’t make a noticeable different at all.

also fired back a retort that the UK government funded the vaccine early, paid for new equipment and the ability to upgrade and upscale their facilities  to increase production (the same facilities the EU supply is coming from)

it’s worth a listen if I can find a link to it 

The truth is that UK are getting preferential treatment because the lower quantity in vaccine produced affected only the European Union, not the UK. The issue was that Astra Zeneca's site in Belgium had severe manufacturing difficulties and therefore vaccine couldn't be produced as originally planned. This manufacturing issue was communicated by AZ representatives as the reason that quanities agreed upon in the contract with the EU could not be delivered by AZ.

Here is the thing: both AZ production sites located in the UK produced the vaccine. AZ could have shipped the vaccine produced in the UK to European Countries. They didn't.

Disgusting. They let us down.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

California coronavirus strain may be more infectious—and lethal

A new strain of the pandemic coronavirus, first identified and now spreading in California, appears to be somewhat more transmissible and heighten patients’ risk of admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) and death, according to a preprint reporting lab studies and epidemiological data.

Link for the full read article:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/coronavirus-strain-first-identified-california-may-be-more-infectious-and-cause-more

• RoughGame 1

14 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The truth is that UK are getting preferential treatment because the lower quantity in vaccine produced affected only the European Union, not the UK. The issue was that Astra Zeneca's site in Belgium had severe manufacturing difficulties and therefore vaccine couldn't be produced as originally planned. This manufacturing issue was communicated by AZ representatives as the reason that quanities agreed upon in the contract with the EU could not be delivered by AZ.

Here is the thing: both AZ production sites located in the UK produced the vaccine. AZ could have shipped the vaccine produced in the UK to European Countries. They didn't.

Disgusting. They let us down.

It’s not as simple as that though. Even when you look into the overall figures, even if the split was equitable it would have led to a shortfall in the volume. you cannot magic up something that’s not there. EU order volume to September is 270m doses, uk order in the same timeframe 30 million. Shorting uk stock to give to the eu would still result in massive shortfalls

in this case the response from the EU has been overly beurocratic and sluggish, it’s looking for a scapegoat and AZ is an easy one especially with brexit to boot. 

I think our government has been woeful over here with their ability to get to grips with the virus however even though I do not like our current government they have handled the fall out of it relatively well. (Vaccines,furlough etc) 

one thing they have done well is with vaccine roll out, and their approach to just get in with it. It means it’s not the most efficient and it’s a bit disjointed but it’s getting the job done and they are fixing/adjusting as they go. They also build up a huge stockpile well before they approved any of the vaccines allowing them to always have stock of something on hand even when Pfizer was going through supply issues. 

the Dutch on the other hand will probably have the slickest most joined up and seem less system in place (when it’s in place) 

the issue is that the EU let Perfect become the enemy of good. Long term the EU approach will pay dividends, it will have a better post COVID system and response in place, it will be better adapted to any future viruses as well, and also mass roll outs of other items, like winter flu etc. However the pressure they are under is short term and the impact the virus is having now. 

this shown that when the issue they have with an Anglo -Swedish company they used to then try and strong arm a nation state (UK) and block Pfizer exports even though the issue isn’t with the UK government or even if their making but to do with a private company. 

Edited by UKNuck96

For those that have more knowledge on the covid vaccines, does anyone know more on the CanSino vaccine from China? Especially in comparison to Pfizer?

Hong Kong just received their first shipment of Pfizer vaccines and is ready to be distributed in the next 2 weeks. Hoping to persuade my dad to take the Pfizer one instead of CanSino which is available right now.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:32 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Hoping for the best for your sis, Bree.

Stay strong, stay positive. 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, bree2 said:

Just want to UPDATE!!! on my sister and her hubby, i am so excited they took her off the ventilator  today and she is able to breathe on her own.. after so many days of not good news, this is such wonderful news for her and our family, i think i am finally able  to feel good about life again

:towel::)

20 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s not as simple as that though. Even when you look into the overall figures, even if the split was equitable it would have led to a shortfall in the volume. you cannot magic up something that’s not there. EU order volume to September is 270m doses, uk order in the same timeframe 30 million. Shorting uk stock to give to the eu would still result in massive shortfalls

in this case the response from the EU has been overly beurocratic and sluggish, it’s looking for a scapegoat and AZ is an easy one especially with brexit to boot. 

I think our government has been woeful over here with their ability to get to grips with the virus however even though I do not like our current government they have handled the fall out of it relatively well. (Vaccines,furlough etc) 

one thing they have done well is with vaccine roll out, and their approach to just get in with it. It means it’s not the most efficient and it’s a bit disjointed but it’s getting the job done and they are fixing/adjusting as they go. They also build up a huge stockpile well before they approved any of the vaccines allowing them to always have stock of something on hand even when Pfizer was going through supply issues. 

the Dutch on the other hand will probably have the slickest most joined up and seem less system in place (when it’s in place) 

the issue is that the EU let Perfect become the enemy of good. Long term the EU approach will pay dividends, it will have a better post COVID system and response in place, it will be better adapted to any future viruses as well, and also mass roll outs of other items, like winter flu etc. However the pressure they are under is short term and the impact the virus is having now. 

this shown that when the issue they have with an Anglo -Swedish company they used to then try and strong arm a nation state (UK) and block Pfizer exports even though the issue isn’t with the UK government or even if their making but to do with a private company. 

I don't pay attention to the Euros but the Americans now have 75 million vaccinated or 235 of their population. In Canada we have 526,000 thousand or 3.6% fully vaccinated. Doses are coming but doctors are saying the rollout is bad. I don't understand how this could be an issue since they have had since March last year for planning???

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting...

Thats the same BC  government that told us masks did not work / were not needed  and that covid was transmitted  from touching surfaces and not airborn.

BC government lost all its credibility in regards to covid 6 months ago.....

• RoughGame 1