The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have mine booked for 5:10 pm today. Spent a couple of hours on hold with Northern Health on Sunday to get this booking....

Now I get your user name! 

Awesome news.  Help convince hesitant people to get it too after your get it.  PR might be the among the first community in BC to get closer to effective herd immunity. There will still be cases as kids are not vaccinated and vaccine is not 100%.  Will be interested in seeing the numbers a month from now and see the effects.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Now I get your user name! 

Awesome news.  Help convince hesitant people to get it too after your get it.  PR might be the among the first community in BC to get closer to effective herd immunity. There will still be cases as kids are not vaccinated and vaccine is not 100%.  Will be interested in seeing the numbers a month from now and see the effects.  

Yeah. The "KBD" is my initials....

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Your post is just another example that you have no clue what's going on. Here are the facts:

Asked which countries this principle  (export stop() might cover, von der Leyen cited the U.K., which she said was the "No. 1" destination for EU vaccine exports, while not sending any shots back in the other direction.

"We have observed that in the last six weeks, actually 10 million doses by now have been exported to the U.K.," she said. "We're still waiting for doses to come from the U.K."

Going forward I will not read any more posts from you because you are absolutely clueless.

I’m not clueless, I’ve been following the news and looking into it, there is no such export ban, the EU is the one talking about restricting Pfizer exports from Belgium to the UK. Italy was the one that blocked exports to Australia. 

im generally pro EU and was against brexit. But the EU roll out and vaccine program they have made a mess of in the short term (long term they probably will have better infrastructure going forward and better systems but it’s been at the expense of now) Macron especially has been critical of AZ and has been playing politics with the vaccine programs. This has come back to bite as the uptake of vaccines is now lower because of the doubt the EU has seeded.

they have thrown the full blame into AZ so I can see why the company is in no mood to do favours. Go back and listen to the EU parliamentary session when they were questioning the head of AZ (a Frenchman) and he outlines why the delay has happened, and one of the key areas was because the lower than expected yields in the Belgium plants which are used to manufacture the Vaccine. The Indian manufacturers seem to not have had the same issues and are producing at a rapid rate. 

I am not clueless you however seem to read no vaccines exported therefor vaccine ban, and claimed it’s sickening - even when if you look at the overall figures,  even if all of the vaccine produced to date in the UK was not used here and given to the EU, based on current production, it still would only make up about 10% of the EU shortfall. 

EU population 447 million, Uk population  66 million - the volumes to supply each is drastically different. 

6 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I’m not clueless, I’ve been following the news and looking into it, there is no such export ban, the EU is the one talking about restricting Pfizer exports from Belgium to the UK. Italy was the one that blocked exports to Australia. 

im generally pro EU and was against brexit. But the EU roll out and vaccine program they have made a mess of in the short term (long term they probably will have better infrastructure going forward and better systems but it’s been at the expense of now) Macron especially has been critical of AZ and has been playing politics with the vaccine programs. This has come back to bite as the uptake of vaccines is now lower because of the doubt the EU has seeded.

they have thrown the full blame into AZ so I can see why the company is in no mood to do favours. Go back and listen to the EU parliamentary session when they were questioning the head of AZ (a Frenchman) and he outlines why the delay has happened, and one of the key areas was because the lower than expected yields in the Belgium plants which are used to manufacture the Vaccine. The Indian manufacturers seem to not have had the same issues and are producing at a rapid rate. 

I am not clueless you however seem to read no vaccines exported therefor vaccine ban, and claimed it’s sickening - even when if you look at the overall figures,  even if all of the vaccine produced to date in the UK was not used here and given to the EU, based on current production, it still would only make up about 10% of the EU shortfall. 

EU population 447 million, Uk population  66 million - the volumes to supply each is drastically different. 

To add to this from politico 

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-the-uk-doesnt-need-a-coronavirus-vaccine-export-ban/

How has the British government secured vaccine supply for its own population while the EU has struggled? The U.K.’s contract for supply of doses with AstraZeneca, for instance, demands a promise from the drugmaker that the British supply chain will be sufficient for supplying the agreed number of jabs. The aim was to ensure that the company was on the hook to source a shortage elsewhere. 

As a result, some U.K. citizens have been vaccinated with jabs produced in the bloc. An EU diplomat briefed by the Commission said that more than 8.1 million doses manufactured in the EU have been sent to the U.K. out of 24.7 million doses approved for export up to March 1 (the U.S. received around 650,000.) This week, Britain is also taking delivery of supplies of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine from India's Serum Institute.

The European Commission did not secure the same protection in its contract with the manufacturer. One reason is that contracts under English law are more literally interpreted than the EU’s Belgian contract, giving the supplier less wiggle room. There's another factor: the U.K. invested early in the supply chain and had agreements with AstraZeneca to supply its population first. The company’s public statements suggest it regards each contract as covering different, specific supply chains. It doesn’t regard the EU’s claim over U.K. manufacturing capacity to be the same as that over its Belgian sites, or Italian sites for instance. 

Supply problems aside, there's another factor that EU capitals ought to have more control over: countries have millions of doses that aren't being injected into citizens. They can't blame the Brits for that.

A whole city gets to get vaccinated, is this true? Don't agree with it at all, should go by age or if you have a compromised immune system. Both my Grandma and the GFs are in their early 90s and still have NOT been given a vaccine. But hey, lets give it to a whole community instead...must mean that town has a bunch of inept people

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

A whole city gets to get vaccinated, is this true? Don't agree with it at all, should go by age or if you have a compromised immune system. Both my Grandma and the GFs are in their early 90s and still have NOT been given a vaccine. But hey, lets give it to a whole community instead...must mean that town has a bunch of inept people

Where are your Grandma and GF's Grandma?  Appointments seem to be available in Fraser Health for people in their 80's, my friend booked her Mom for 7:30 tonight (wanted to wait til after the Canuck game LOL).  Her mom is early 80's.  

I hope your loved ones get their jab soon.  

I can understand why Pr Rupert is getting a community immunization, just as I can understand why Costco employees and the glass company employees are all getting vaccinated.  It's an attempt to manage community spread.  

• Sedinery 1
On 3/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, UnkNuk said:

Interesting.

But what's the point in people getting medically exempt cards from their physicians if they can't be used?

I gather from the officer's remarks that such cards are not valid on transit.  

And, yes, the officer behaved very well when placed in a difficult situation - between a person who believes her medical exemption excuses her from wearing a mask and BC laws that apparently require masks on transit despite such medical exemptions.

The medically exempt cards don’t come from doctors. 

Letters of exemption however can be obtained from doctors. If someone has a legitimate medical exemption then they ought to have on them at all times. 

This person clearly was full of $&!#. 

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

TBH, I was quite surprised to learn that our infection rate was so high. We had actually gone for quite a while without a single confirmed case.

I knew there was an outbreak at the local long term care facility mentioned in the video and later I was told by my GP about some active cases at the hospital, but that was all I had heard about this. In a small town like this, you usually hear anecdotal accounts if nothing else, (Northern Health has made it a policy of not releasing much, if any information on confirmed cases) but I hadn't heard anything of note.

We also have not had any anti-mask rallies, protests, or the like. Every time I've been in a grocery store, or shop, everyone has been wearing masks, using hand sanitizer and maintaining a safe distance, so I'm honestly at a loss as to why we have such a high infection rate. Just a guess, but I think what might be a contributing factor is our relatively high First Nations population. My understanding is that FN peoples are at a higher risk.

That being said, maybe you're right. Maybe we're just an "inept" city. I certainly can't prove otherwise and from my occasional perusals of this thread, I definitely lag far behind the many experts who frequent this forum when it comes to knowledge about this subject...

• Huggy Bear 1
On 3/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm with Sharpie. Although it's technically possible that she has a psychiatric condition, her comportment suggests to me that her condition is, as he so eloquently puts it, "Karenism"....

As I said earlier, I was unable to find any supporting evidence for a Mask Exemption Card. If she was lying about that, my opinion is that she was lying about the rest as well.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't share it.

Just to be clear:  I'm not saying the woman was telling the truth.   I'm saying I don't know if she was telling the truth or not and I don't think there's enough evidence in the video to call it one way or the other.

And I was surprised at how quickly some people here jumped to the conclusion that she was lying.

Just now, UnkNuk said:

Just to be clear:  I'm not saying the woman was telling the truth.   I'm saying I don't know if she was telling the truth or not and I don't think there's enough evidence in the video to call it one way or the other.

And I was surprised at how quickly some people here jumped to the conclusion that she was lying.

If I had been able to find any evidence whatsoever of the existence of Government, or Physician issued "mask exemption cards" in BC, I might not have been so quick to do so....

9 hours ago, skategal said:

Where are your Grandma and GF's Grandma?  Appointments seem to be available in Fraser Health for people in their 80's, my friend booked her Mom for 7:30 tonight (wanted to wait til after the Canuck game LOL).  Her mom is early 80's.  

I hope your loved ones get their jab soon.  

I can understand why Pr Rupert is getting a community immunization, just as I can understand why Costco employees and the glass company employees are all getting vaccinated.  It's an attempt to manage community spread.  

powell river on the sunshine coast

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Quickly to jump because it's so obvious that medical exemption cards from masks have never been a thing and we know that anti-mask advocacy groups have been pushing out many of these cards themselves.

Whether she was lying or genuinely believes a medical exemption has actual legal standing out of sheer ignorance, she was completely out of line. 

The key take away from all of this? Put on a god damn mask.

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I've yet to see a "medical exemption" that wasn't bullsh!t.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, stawns said:

I've yet to see a "medical exemption" that wasn't bullsh!t.

There are stories (mostly from the US) of people who are actually too ill to use a mask being put into uncomfortable situations due to the guidelines (or improper understanding of it).  

I think former NHLer Brendan Witt's wife is going through a lawsuit.  She was manhandled by the manager to leave the store, even though she is still battling cancer and has asthma.  She actually does have medical exemption, but the manager still forced her out as she "didn't have papers" with her.  Even though CDC guidelines said people with medical exemptions are allowed to skip wearing a mask and that it is actually illegal in the US to "ask for papers" when it involves medical or disability issues.  

The problem when there are recommendations set in place, where people who poorly understand such rules are overly zealous on enforcing them.  

21 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There are stories (mostly from the US) of people who are actually too ill to use a mask being put into uncomfortable situations due to the guidelines (or improper understanding of it).  

I think former NHLer Brendan Witt's wife is going through a lawsuit.  She was manhandled by the manager to leave the store, even though she is still battling cancer and has asthma.  She actually does have medical exemption, but the manager still forced her out as she "didn't have papers" with her.  Even though CDC guidelines said people with medical exemptions are allowed to skip wearing a mask and that it is actually illegal in the US to "ask for papers" when it involves medical or disability issues.  

The problem when there are recommendations set in place, where people who poorly understand such rules are overly zealous on enforcing them.  

It's on the people who actually have these issues as well.  Maybe they need to think that maybe having "papers" might make it "easier" for then to interact with the public when they absolutely need to.  That last bit is the important one.  These people obviously should be limiting their exposure since they obviously have issues that make them more vulnerable.  Going around in public like nothing is going on is a problem.  Also, far too many people are using disability as a crutch to excuse themselves from criticism that they are moron Covidiots.  The people that really are disabled are having a difficult time made  even more difficult because some Covid Karen doesn't want to wear a mask and suddenly has a disability.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure why I should be more concerned about the very rare few that do have medical reaosns to not wear a mask, than the idiots that have no valid reason, but continue to do stupid things?

Should we let 10,000 idiots run wild because 1 person has asthma and can't mask up?

Edited by gurn
1 hour ago, gurn said:

I'm not sure why I should be more concerned about the very rare few that do have medical reaosns to not wear a mask, than the idiots that have no valid reason, but continue to do stupid things?

Should we let 10,000 idiots run wild because 1 person has asthma and can't mask up?

To be honest, the people with asthma and other breathing conditions are more likely to die from covid. If I were them, I'd be more worried about being in public period than I would whether I'm wearing a mask or not. Those are the people who really should be concerned about all of this.

And don't get me wrong. It sucks that this has to be the case for those people and I can only imagine how that can affect them mentally, but these are also among the people we're protecting to begin with. Let's not forget that.

• Upvote 1