The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

they were booking 70+ like a week ago seems odd that they have dropped down to 55+

Ill be avoiding all of the old people getting there shot for the next couple weeks so i am happy.

Radio station down in Vancouver NEWS1130 said  people 55 and up  in coastal and fraser health  regions could book with pharmacies.

But Vancouverites forget that Sunshine Coast is in "Coastal" region.

Bad reporting, but I'm used to it.  A little annoying to be lumped in with Vancouver, when our areas share more with Vancouver Island folk, with the ferries and more laidback pace.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I have a lot of sympathy for small businesses and restaurants.  They've had it tough.  Its not their fault.  The problem is Indoor dining was only for people of the same household in your group.  There were too many idiots that were having get togethers at restaurants.  No mask wearing while eating, indoors, talking and laughing at the same table and bingo, a perfect conduit for infection.  Especially so when these idiots were having private gatherings outside of restaurants and getting infected.  It would be unreasonable for the restaurants to police this.  Its unfair I know but blame the idiots that aren't following the rules.

Do we have numbers on how many cases are actually traced back to restaurants ? I haven’t seen any myself. I’m all in favour of restrictions but they better be practical and sensible. If the cases traced to restaurants are low then this restriction is stupid, much like the other one forcing restaurants to close at 8PM on New Year’s Eve. Did that stop anyone? Probably not, or few if any. They likely just went and drank in private residences anyway. The only people suffering were the restaurant owners and their stuff. 

I’d also like to see stats on the general health of Canadians. The best thing you can do to beat the virus (short of vaccination) is not be old, fat, or otherwise unhealthy. Obviously we can’t control our age but we can certainly control our health. How many Canadians are healthier now than they were a year ago? 

If your health hasn’t improved since last March then you’re not taking this virus seriously. 

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Radio station down in Vancouver NEWS1130 said  people 55 and up  in coastal and fraser health  regions could book with pharmacies.

But Vancouverites forget that Sunshine Coast is in "Coastal" region.

Bad reporting, but I'm used to it.  A little annoying to be lumped in with Vancouver, when our areas share more with Vancouver Island folk, with the ferries and more laidback pace.

We should be one of those regions that gets it early cause of all of the vacationers

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, I think we've let this get too far and vaccines aren't going to get us out of it

Meh...I wouldn't get that pessimistic just yet. The UK and the US let their outbreaks get out of control and their case counts have been plummeting because of mass vaccination. Part of the reason why we're getting this surge in cases is because Canada is lagging a few months behind on vaccines. 

9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Meh...I wouldn't get that pessimistic just yet. The UK and the US let their outbreaks get out of control and their case counts have been plummeting because of mass vaccination. Part of the reason why we're getting this surge in cases is because Canada is lagging a few months behind on vaccines. 

The US case count is up over 60k a day again and the variants are going to be a big issue if we don't stop them.

Edited by stawns
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Here in Victoria-australia- our leaders made the hard decisions and implemented them last year and we have been reaping the benefits for the last 5- 6 months.

Apart from a few screw-ups with hotel Quarantine things have been good.

One thing that has happened is they dropped  mask wearing a week ago in most places and all of a sudden we are seeing "normal" cases of flu.

Was just saying to a friend I am going to keep wearing a mask when I go shopping or any other place I feel I will be in reasonably close contact with other people.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The US case count is up over 60k a day again

And the UK has been going down or flat. 46% of population have gotten at least 1 dose in the UK, while compared to 29% in the US.

This is an interesting topic:

Might be worth it for medical authorities to look deeper into the risks behind hypo-immune responses for people with COVID antibodies also getting a COVID vaccine.

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, I think we've let this get too far and vaccines aren't going to get us out of it

They never were bruh. We will need a new shot every year and a huge part of the population still will never get the shot. Then again we need to de crowd right ? 

6 hours ago, kurtis said:

They never were bruh. We will need a new shot every year and a huge part of the population still will never get the shot. Then again we need to de crowd right ? 

You do realise that annual flu jabs are still in essence coping with the H1N1 1918 outbreak. We will be living with COVID 19 for years, it’s just a case of getting it down to an acceptable level. UK is already promising annual boosters from September/October 

also on a separate note the WHO has panned the EU vaccine rollout, but according to some on here it must be the UKs fault

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56600660

• Upvote 2