The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

Strange how things are so quiet on essential workers and teachers. One minute, BC govt plans to use astrazeneca on them right away, then next minute the astrazeneca vaccine is just for 55+ years, so they start giving it to that age group. Shouldn’t that mean essential workers and teachers should start getting the other two vaccines now? 
No taksey-backseys, right?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I totally understood his frustration after placing a large order for supplies but his actions were way out of line, same as Corduroy’s.

its the same owner. I don't know what he was hoping to achieve tbh. 

• Hydration 2
2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It doesn't seem like they listen/care.   I wonder what the next step is in this if their idiotic people don't follow this?

Lose your liquor license and you’re dead in the water. Just sayin..

• Hydration 3
3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It doesn't seem like they listen/care.   I wonder what the next step is in this if their idiotic people don't follow this?

Liquor license next?

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Strange how things are so quiet on essential workers and teachers. One minute, BC govt plans to use astrazeneca on them right away, then next minute the astrazeneca vaccine is just for 55+ years, so they start giving it to that age group. Shouldn’t that mean essential workers and teachers should start getting the other two vaccines now? 

I think they are waiting to hear about Jansen deliveries.  Looks like we are getting some this month, but nobody knows any specifics.  

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I think we're in wait and see mode.  I expect teachers and frontline workers will start demanding answers soon.......especially with p1 starting to take hold and the student mask mandate being of a publicity stunt.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

more two week suspensions I guess. 

I used to go by Gusto's all the time when I lived in the Olympic Village, they guy was not hurting for takeout one bit, there was always a big line up. He was trying to take some sort of stand. Yes, the virus is unfair. And?

There's my biggest beef.........why blame the government for something they can't control?  Did people think there wasn't going to be  pain outside of the virus itself?  It's unfair, it sucks, but that's just the reality of the situation.  I do hope government steps up with help though.......help for business that comply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's my biggest beef.........why blame the government for something they can't control?  Did people think there wasn't going to be  pain outside of the virus itself?  It's unfair, it sucks, but that's just the reality of the situation.  I do hope government steps up with help though.......help for business that comply

oh for sure, I'm very pro-business. I'm not pro-selfish. 

Yeah the search for blame is getting tiresome. All we can do is try to limit the thing to the point where our ICU's aren't over run. Thats the best we can hope for. Trudeau couldn't stop it, nor could have Harper, or Singh. Or May even. I don't like a lot of things about Horgan and he should have shut Whistler down earlier, but up to this point I don't see how anyone else would have fared better. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are they claiming once you have the vaccine you can't catch the virus... Or are they saying getting the vaccine won't make you sick from taking it...

I think they are saying you can't catch covid from taking the vaccine?  I guess people are concerned about that?

Cause you can still get covid after being vaccinated and you can get sick from any vaccine.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I think they are saying you can't catch covid from taking the vaccine?  I guess people are concerned about that?

Cause you can still get covid after being vaccinated and you can get sick from any vaccine.

That's what I've been reading and seeing, so when I saw that tweet from the CDC I had to read it a couple times because it could almost be interpreted as something else.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure, I'm very pro-business. I'm not pro-selfish. 

Yeah the search for blame is getting tiresome. All we can do is try to limit the thing to the point where our ICU's aren't over run. Thats the best we can hope for. Trudeau couldn't stop it, nor could have Harper, or Singh. Or May even. I don't like a lot of things about Horgan and he should have shut Whistler down earlier, but up to this point I don't see how anyone else would have fared better. 

Government and health officials had over a year to increase ICU capacity. I wonder what was done on this front?

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are they claiming once you have the vaccine you can't catch the virus... Or are they saying getting the vaccine won't make you sick from taking it...

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

55 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

That's what I've been reading and seeing, so when I saw that tweet from the CDC I had to read it a couple times because it could almost be interpreted as something else.

I see it as a counter to the anti-vaxx talking point that the vaccines make you sick.  

I do agree that there is enough ambiguity that there are a number of ways the statement can be taken, some of which are not how they intended it to be taken. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5976074

"The most transmissive variants of COVID-19 are ultimately going to take over. We've seen that in other jurisdictions and we expect to see it here," he said.

But he pushed back against public pressure to implement stronger measures to control the spread of these variants.

Don’t expect any changes. The almighty Dix has spoke. Business as usual. 

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

From my understanding, even after being vaccinated, you can still catch the virus and transmit the virus. 

The vaccine isn’t 100%, and therefore you can still catch it. 

Also, you can still ‘shed’ the virus for a time after being vaccinated. 

You can’t however catch the virus from the vaccine. Vaccines don’t work like that. You can however experience some symptoms from the vaccinations but that’s rare and it’s all vaccines have the potential of causing people allergic reactions. 

The take away though is that you’re better protected from catching and/or transmitting the virus even after the first dose. 

So, get it. Increase your chances of being protected and protecting your loved ones and anyone you come into contact with. 

Hope that makes it a little clearer. 

• Hydration 1
28 minutes ago, GSP* said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5976074

"The most transmissive variants of COVID-19 are ultimately going to take over. We've seen that in other jurisdictions and we expect to see it here," he said.

But he pushed back against public pressure to implement stronger measures to control the spread of these variants.

Don’t expect any changes. The almighty Dix has spoke. Business as usual. 

If people abide by the measures that lessened the transmission from ‘regular’ Covid, those measures would still be effective against the ‘super’ Covid. 

The ship in taking drastic action has already sailed. Drastic measures should have been taken awhile back to ensure the variants didn’t take over. 

It’s possible that there could be a breakdown of hospital across the lower mainland capacity(eg. Royal Colombian Hospital) which would/could require further shutdowns and other drastic actions. 

• Vintage 1

Most of this is very boring, but from about 3:30-8:40 they show some interesting graphs, how the vaccination and their numbers are going.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/diane-francis-canada-is-ignoring-the-science-on-second-doses

I am scheduled to receive a first shot this coming Friday (Pfizer or Moderna).

Now I am thinking maybe I should wait until the second shot will be available?

Probably should get it.  I think the 4 month between doses in just super conservative.  Assuming we get the deliveries we are expecting over the next several weeks.  Pretty much everyone should get dose 1 by the end of May or early June.  Then June we get way more vaccine, so second doses will be going very fast.  We are expecting 44 million doses by the end of June right now.  That's enough to give ever adult 1 dose and adults over 50 and the cev group their second dose by the end of June.  It will be great when we know how many J&J we will be getting this month and next.  If we do manage to get a lot, second doses of Pfizer could start by the end of May.