The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So now I'm reading Dr. Henry is wanting residents to avoid travel in their own province, but the province is still open for anyone out of province to come and vist still.... 

When I see crap like this I can't take anything they say serious anymore, what a joke. 

I wouldn’t be sad if Bonnie was replaced by someone with some semblance of logic and leadership. 

Reminds me of an old Robin Williams joke about police in the UK that don’t have guns “Stop! Or I’ll say stop again!” 

23 minutes ago, GSP* said:

I wouldn’t be sad if Bonnie was replaced by someone with some semblance of logic and leadership. 

Reminds me of an old Robin Williams joke about police in the UK that don’t have guns “Stop! Or I’ll say stop again!” 

I really don't think it will change anything unfortunately, she's just a puppet on a mic being told what to say, same thing will happen with the next person. 

It's bad in Canada when per capita we're worse then USA now, and in the US there being told to not travel to Canada now, oh how the tides have changed.

40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So now I'm reading Dr. Henry is wanting residents to avoid travel in their own province, but the province is still open for anyone out of province to come and vist still.... 

When I see crap like this I can't take anything they say serious anymore, what a joke. 

It's truly moronic. There is no consistency. 

• Cheers 3

Was in a meeting earlier today with officials from Ontario municipalities and the province's Ministry of Health and science advisory table.

It was a pretty sobering briefing. ICU beds projected to be near capacity and there are shortages of life-saving drugs for COVID-19 patients requiring ICU care. COVID-19 patients can be in ICUs for up to 20 days which is a lot longer than patients recovering from something like a heart surgery (e.g. 2-3 days), which backs up capacity even more. Vaccine hesitancy already emerging in older age groups because of reported risks behind the AZ vaccine. 

This is stuff people have probably already heard about, but please take this seriously and stay safe. A lockdown like what's going on in Ontario would suck for BC, but we're trending in similar directions. 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's truly moronic. There is no consistency. 

That S**&show in Whistler is the biggest indictment of how we are handling things around here.  We were told to stay within our own heath regions as far back as the start of the second wave.  Told to ski locally and not go to Whistler.  Then told that interprovincial travel should be discouraged yet we see out of province vehicles streaming up hwy 99.  So if technically only the local Whistler residents should have been allowed to ski there, Why the hell was it so busy?  Why the hell were the hotels booked with Alberta residents?  Whistler should have been closed if it couldn't open with just their local residents.  Its this conflicting information that is pissing off everyone.  People that normally would comply just get fed up.

• Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yet still planes are landing in airports with people bringing the infection from one region to the other. 

BC and Ont were basically swapping variants. We give them the Brazilian and they give us the UK. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The person is at home recovering. 

There is a diagnostic test and treatment for VIPIT or VITT (names keep changing).  The main thing is to alert the public and drs so that when these rare events do occur, they can be treated promptly.

Anaphylaxis is about 5/million and is potentially lethal. But it's treatable and that's why you are observed for at least 15 mins after vaccination and all vaccination sites need to have meds that can treat it.  Manageable risks. To most people, it is a tolerable risk. 

These days, it is more dangerous to walk around in NYC if you are an Asian than getting any side effects from the JJ or AZ vaccine. 

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

BC and Ont were basically swapping variants. We give them the Brazilian and they give us the UK. Lol. 

Exactly. This could have been slowed to a crawl if the flights had been temporarily grounded. People may still have driven across, but that trek is far more daunting to those who prefer air travel. The blindspot that the feds have had in regards to air travel is pretty damning. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. This could have been slowed to a crawl if the flights had been temporarily grounded. People may still have driven across, but that trek is far more daunting to those who prefer air travel. The blindspot that the feds have had in regards to air travel is pretty damning. 

While I agree with you, I wonder what the public backlash would have been if the Federal government immediately shut down international, or even domestic travel at the beginning of the pandemic. 

Smaller countries like New Zealand and Korea had no problems restricting international travel with designated quarantine hotels, but I wonder if the same would have been just as easy for a much more geographically vast country like Canada? 

Again, I agree with your take on how the lack of restrictions probably caused COVID to worsen here, but I don't think it's as black and white for the government to make that decision. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

That S**&show in Whistler is the biggest indictment of how we are handling things around here.  We were told to stay within our own heath regions as far back as the start of the second wave.  Told to ski locally and not go to Whistler.  Then told that interprovincial travel should be discouraged yet we see out of province vehicles streaming up hwy 99.  So if technically only the local Whistler residents should have been allowed to ski there, Why the hell was it so busy?  Why the hell were the hotels booked with Alberta residents?  Whistler should have been closed if it couldn't open with just their local residents.  Its this conflicting information that is pissing off everyone.  People that normally would comply just get fed up.

True. Most people are interested in complying to stem the flow of this virus and see some return to normalcy. The lack of a cohesive plan between levels of government is the major issue here, and it's killing people. 

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

While I agree with you, I wonder what the public backlash would have been if the Federal government immediately shut down international, or even domestic travel at the beginning of the pandemic. 

There would have been backlash, but the outcome could have been so that now we aren't seeing record levels of infection now. 

Smaller countries like New Zealand and Korea had no problems restricting international travel with designated quarantine hotels, but I wonder if the same would have been just as easy for a much more geographically vast country like Canada? 

Who knows. Canada being an enormous land mass probably complicates things, but air travel is a major factor that has helped keep the virus, and it's variants, flowing between nations. 

Again, I agree with your take on how the lack of restrictions probably caused COVID to worsen here, but I don't think it's as black and white for the government to make that decision. 

The government has a choice. Shut down air travel for a specific timeframe, which slows the spread of more aggressive variants. This probably upsets some people who had vacation plans. %#*@ em. Those travelling for work can't use Zoom meeting or Skype for a few weeks or a month? 

If the decision is between keeping people safe and upsetting a few frequent flyers or letting air travel occur and spreading the virus and the variants, it doesn't seem like a hard decision. I guess the feds feel that keeping air travel going is more important than stopping the spread. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There would have been backlash, but the outcome could have been so that now we aren't seeing record levels of infection now. 

Who knows. Canada being an enormous land mass probably complicates things, but air travel is a major factor that has helped keep the virus, and it's variants, flowing between nations. 

The government has a choice. Shut down air travel for a specific timeframe, which slows the spread of more aggressive variants. This probably upsets some people who had vacation plans. %#*@ em. Those travelling for work can't use Zoom meeting or Skype for a few weeks or a month? 

If the decision is between keeping people safe and upsetting a few frequent flyers or letting air travel occur and spreading the virus and the variants, it doesn't seem like a hard decision. I guess the feds feel that keeping air travel going is more important than stopping the spread. 

This is the crux of the issue. The Feds made the conscious decision to be the "nice guy." Enforcement is another huge factor. 

It also boils down to personal responsibility, but of course, we can't rely on that :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

While I agree with you, I wonder what the public backlash would have been if the Federal government immediately shut down international, or even domestic travel at the beginning of the pandemic

I suspect the public backlash would've been the exact same as it is from the people who didn't travel anywhere during the pandemic but resented those that did - there'd be a lot of hoop-la on social media and literally NOTHING else. 

I believe the governments decision to not restrict domestic/international travel more severely had less to do with potential public backlash as you put it and more to do with the potential of adding to an already worsening escalating economic situation in the country. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I suspect the public backlash would've been the exact same as it is from the people who didn't travel anywhere during the pandemic but resented those that did - there'd be a lot of hoop-la on social media and literally NOTHING else. 

I believe the governments decision to not restrict domestic/international travel more severely had less to do with potential public backlash as you put it and more to do with the potential of adding to an already worsening escalating economic situation in the country. 

Hindsight is 20/20. 

I wonder how many of us would have been absolutely pissed off with the government shutting things down to such a degree - myself included. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Was in a meeting earlier today with officials from Ontario municipalities and the province's Ministry of Health and science advisory table.

It was a pretty sobering briefing. ICU beds projected to be near capacity and there are shortages of life-saving drugs for COVID-19 patients requiring ICU care. COVID-19 patients can be in ICUs for up to 20 days which is a lot longer than patients recovering from something like a heart surgery (e.g. 2-3 days), which backs up capacity even more. Vaccine hesitancy already emerging in older age groups because of reported risks behind the AZ vaccine. 

This is stuff people have probably already heard about, but please take this seriously and stay safe. A lockdown like what's going on in Ontario would suck for BC, but we're trending in similar directions. 

OK, so we are in the second year of this pandemic and we still have shortages everywhere. I really want to know why?