The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

Ugh, really snowbirds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-snowbirds-hotel-quarantine-land-border-travel-1.5980913

The gist, instead of  flying in a facing the hotel quarantine, snowbirds are landing close to the border in the US and taking taxis over.

From the article:

Each company said it has seen a boost in business after Canada introduced the hotel quarantine requirement.

Since late February, Buffalo Limousine has, on average, transported 50 customers a day across the Canadian border, increasing its lagging business by around 50 per cent, Boccio said. 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ugh, really snowbirds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-snowbirds-hotel-quarantine-land-border-travel-1.5980913

The gist, instead of  flying in a facing the hotel quarantine, snowbirds are landing close to the border in the US and taking taxis over.

From the article:

dOn'T bLoW iT fOr uS 30 aNd uNdErS

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

dOn'T bLoW iT fOr uS 30 aNd uNdErS

Why the f*** is everyone always looking for a goddamn loophole instead of doing what's right?

• Vintage 1
10 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Herd immunity is a thing as as you get through the vaccination once you hit a critical mass it starts to make a difference 

I'm a bit confused.... why were they talking about herd immunity last year, way before the vaccines?

Unless they mean the body naturally building up immunity via exposure?

24 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm a bit confused.... why were they talking about herd immunity last year, way before the vaccines?

In the beggining "herd immunity' was code for let the virus kill everyone it can, those left will be immune.

• Hydration 1
23 hours ago, stawns said:

I might be wrong but isn't a resraurant/pub where the infection got one of the Canucks?

What, exactly do you suggest should be done with these variants?  Just let them spread?

Greatly restrict air travel and who can come here. How do you think these variants got here in the first place, magically? There are no easy answers but what they're doing now is equivalent to pulling 'solutions' out of their ass

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, gurn said:

In the beggining "herd immunity' was code for let the virus kill everyone it can, those left will be immune.

Yes, unfortunately.  Herd immunity usually is used to describe population immunity for the unvaccinated group that is living within a population that is sufficiently vaccinated.  it was never meant that it can be achieved by natural infection.  Ebola, SARS, MERS, measles, smallpox, etc never achieved herd immunity via natural infection.  It's a fallacy from the right wing nut jobs who do not understand infectious diseases.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

60+ now. I assume that's for folks who don't have a pharmacy nearby that provides the 55-65.

I wonder how much AZ supply is left for the 55-65 group.  The pharmacy by me is out.  BIG sign right at the entrance.

60+ is great news

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

I wonder how much AZ supply is left for the 55-65 group.  The pharmacy by me is out.  BIG sign right at the entrance.

60+ is great news

Info from Dix this past Wed:

After the <55 pause, remaining Covishield AZ from India 31,729 moved to pharmacies in lower mainland. Expecting US AZ 203,000 this week. Some are moved to more pharmacies outside of lower mainland. Apr 9 expect 42,900 Covax AZ will arrive. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Infectious diseases took a back seat to cancer, heart diseases, diabetes in rich countries over the decades due to good public health infrastructure, nutrition, antibiotics and vaccinations.  When I was doing my PhD in immunology and infectious diseases, I had to go to BC cancer center to get access to better equipment. I was impressed how much better funding cancer research labs had.  I felt like a poor artist begging for money. 

I would speculate that it's likely because with presumably better hygiene and sanitary conditions (excuse the boil water advisories, please), as well as supposed mondernization of city facilities and utilities (please ignore the rural sewage treatment infrastructure), western societies have had the luxury to focus on chronic diseases and illnesses that were considered "major killers" in G20 nations (and maybe even some of the more exotic, genetic variety).  Everything is better when we all live a healthy active lifestyle, right?

SARS was actually a very appropriate wake-up call, one that modern western societies generally ignored or downplayed (lessons were learned?  Very clearly NOT!  :picard: ).  Now with a taste of this flavour of coronavirus wiping out much of their economic growth, hopefully they've gotten a good whiff of the coffee.  If they haven't, then the next pandemic (and there will be a next one) will probably knock us all out.

52 minutes ago, Tortorella&#x27;s Rant said:

Greatly restrict air travel and who can come here. How do you think these variants got here in the first place, magically? There are no easy answers but what they're doing now is equivalent to pulling 'solutions' out of their ass

At this point, how they got in is completely irrelevant.  It's how they're spreading that matters

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Right?

I have read that natural herd immunity has never been achieved in humans. A vaccine is needed to get there. 

• Hydration 1
28 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Indy from Dix this past Wed:

After the <55 pause, remaining Covishield AZ from India 31,729 moved to pharmacies in lower mainland. Expecting US AZ 203,000 this week. Some are moved to more pharmacies outside of lower mainland. Apr 9 expect 42,900 Covax AZ will arrive. 

Oh that's more than I thought.  We only have about half a million people total from 55-65.  Canada is going to need to figure out what we are going to do with AZ, the 55+ crowd will be done sooner than we think.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_British_Columbia

If we keep getting over 40,000 jabs a day, these age groups go pretty fast

2 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Oh that's more than I thought.  We only have about half a million people total from 55-65.  Canada is going to need to figure out what we are going to do with AZ, the 55+ crowd will be done sooner than we think.  

Again from Dix, estimates55-65, 700k people. Frontline worker 300k people.

21 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

This AZ thing is way overblown.  Start giving it en masse

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree.  Especially since the USA has 90 million sitting there, with no intention of ever using.  

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

yup I'd take it right now If I could. 

I wonder when they'll bump the age group on it, cutting it off at 55 seems a bit over reactionary to me given the age range of most of the issues. 

• Vintage 1
11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup I'd take it right now If I could. 

I wonder when they'll bump the age group on it, cutting it off at 55 seems a bit over reactionary to me given the age range of most of the issues. 

There are far more blood clot issues with birth control than the AZ vaccine.  My gf and I were wondering if there was a correlation to the blood clot cases and women on birth control.  It's the right age group, for sure.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

There are far more blood clot issues with birth control than the AZ vaccine.  My gf and I were wondering if there was a correlation to the blood clot cases and women on birth control.  It's the right age group, for sure.

Say we somehow got 10 million AZ next week from the USA.  Part of our 20 million.  Just started 18+ at any pharmacy in the country.

We could have a handful of clots that are treatable.  But would save so many lives.  The risk/reward seems worth it.  People that are high risk for clots should consult their doctor for advise.  Dr. John Campbell from youtube seems to agree with you that birth control might be part of this.