The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

I won't have to worry about this, as I will be getting my 5g microchip implanted so Bill can something...something soon.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/547694-hawaii-to-rollout-vaccine-passport-program-by-summer

Hawaii to roll out vaccine passport program by summer

Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D) on Friday approved a vaccine passport program for inter-island travel that could begin as early as May and expand to out-of-state travel by the summer, Forbes reports.

The outlet reports Hawaii is working with the developers of multiple apps including Clear, CommonPass and FirstVitals to help with their pre-flight vaccination verification program. This requirement can be avoided if an individual provides a negative COVID-19 tests with 72 hours of departure.

The vaccine passport program is seen by tourism officials as a way to speed up the state's recovery, Forbes notes.

“Businesses have lost a lot of money during this whole period here so there’s a lot to recoup,” president and CEO of the Hawaii Tourism and Lodging Association, Mufi Hannemann, told local media.

The idea of vaccine passports has become a hot-button issue for many politicians, with critics calling them discriminatory or privacy violations. Multiple GOP-led states such as Florida, Texas and Idaho have banned the use of vaccine passports, either only by the state or by private businesses as well.

The Biden administration has so far said it will not enact a federal vaccine mandate nor will it maintain a federal database on vaccine status.

However, Forbes notes that many private businesses such as cruise lines and concert venues have created vaccine verification systems of their own in an effort to reopen.

New York became the first U.S. state to launch a vaccine passport program when it launched the Excelsior Pass in late March. The pass can be used at entertainment venues and will allow for larger crowd sizes at concerts and weddings.

• Hydration 2
16 hours ago, stawns said:

Im so sick of this, so sick of these people.  When are governments going to realize these people don't care and they will never comply as long as there are no real consequences?  It is time to put an end to this bullsh!t

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

About time for provinces to get serious about things.

$5000 fine, Stage 2 DUI or 3 months.  Car impounded.

Enough is bloody enough

16 hours ago, coho8888 said:

We have been in a State of Emergency now for well over a year because of a Global Crisis.  What I would like to see is that people that blatantly break the Provincial Health Orders during a SOE be criminally charged for their actions because of endangerment to the general public.  I'm not talking about charging those that stand a foot too close in a line up.  I'm talking about those that host parties or large private gatherings indoors, those businesses that purposely flout the rules.  The belligerent anti masker that walks in a store and becomes violent when asked to leave.  This is the only way to stop these a&^wipes.  No amount of compassion by BH or lecture from AD or Premier Horgan will work.  Small, piddly fines aren't going to work.  The threat of Jail time will.

While I don't disagree with any of you guys, let's face it - Canada 'in general' is one of the most lenient countries in the world when it comes to crime and or people who generally break laws.  Does anyone really expect that the government (either federal or provincial) is all of a sudden, in the middle of a pandemic and let's not forget in the middle of a 'de-fund' the police social movement, going to decide to get tough on crime?  

I'm just being realistic - I don't see it happening.  Not that I would be opposed to it if it did mind you. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While I don't disagree with any of you guys, let's face it - Canada 'in general' is one of the most lenient countries in the world when it comes to crime and or people who generally break laws.  Does anyone really expect that the government (either federal or provincial) is all of a sudden, in the middle of a pandemic and let's not forget in the middle of a 'de-fund' the police social movement, going to decide to get tough on crime?  

I'm just being realistic - I don't see it happening.  Not that I would be opposed to it if it did mind you. 

In Alberta it could sway the next election.  The irony for Alberta is a month ago, there was a reasonable chance for limited fans for the playoffs in the arenas.  Not a chance now.

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Just a political move... registration doesn't mean eligible.  BC is just trying to make it seem like they're accelerating the timeline.  All they're actually doing is building a database of people online to simply WAIT for their turn.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04/12/b-c-ramps-up-covid-19-vaccination-schedule/

"Once you’ve registered, you’ll be invited to book your appointment when it’s your age cohort’s turn to do so."

Really sick of these officials and the stupid political games they're playing.

• Vintage 1
30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just a political move... registration doesn't mean eligible.  BC is just trying to make it seem like they're accelerating the timeline.  All they're actually doing is building a database of people online to simply WAIT for their turn.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04/12/b-c-ramps-up-covid-19-vaccination-schedule/

"Once you’ve registered, you’ll be invited to book your appointment when it’s your age cohort’s turn to do so."

It is really confusing the way they are doing the rollout of the vaccination program.  I don't know if it is intentional or not.   Being registered is not as the same as getting the vaccine.

According to the website people who are 40+ can register but does does not mean they will get their vaccine anytime soon.   They are a long ways from getting the vaccine because the current group eligible to make an appointment is 66+.  The gap between those able to register and those able to get vaccinated is 25 years.  It would be a long wait before the 40+ group get their vaccine.

So, you are right, it makes the government look better, but it can't mask the slow pace of the vaccination program.

Edited by DonLever

I don’t get the whole need to register thing, surely you don’t want to put barriers in the way of it, and the local health providers should be able to organise those on their books and reach out, or even maybe use central registers the local government will have or from your tax office etc. Many ways to do it without making people register which just feels like a way of suppressing uptake 

10 minutes ago, DonLever said:

It is really confusing the way they are doing the rollout of the vaccination program.  I don't know if it is intentional or not.   Being registered is not as the same as getting the vaccine.

According to the website people who are 40+ can register but does does not mean they will get their vaccine anytime soon.   They are a long way way because the current group eligible to make an appointment is 66+.  The gap between those able to register and those able to get vaccinated is 25 years.  It would be a long wait before the 40+ group get their vaccine.

So, you are right, it makes the government look better, but it can't mask the slow pace of the vaccination program.

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't see it from a political lens, since I'm living outside of BC for years now.  But getting registered now and getting notice isn't a bad thing. Better than the website crashing when people flood it like going for a rock concert ticket on ticketmaster. 

My aunt over 65 registered and got a txt notice the next day to book.  She will get her vaccine this Thursday.  System is working but it is still too slow, partially limited by supply, but I still think they can do it quicker by longer hours on both weekdays and weekends.  Need more staff or pay them to work longer hours. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 3
1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

I don't see it from a political lens, since I'm living outside of BC for years now.  But getting registered now and getting notice isn't a bad thing. Better than the website crashing when people flood it like going fit a rock concert ticket on ticketmaster. 

My aunt over 65 registered and got a txt notice few days later to book.  She will get her vaccine this Thursday.  System is working but it is still too slow, partially limited by supply, but I still think they can do it quicker by longer hours on both weekdays and weekends.  Need more staff or pay them to work longer hours. 

yep.  And also gives them a better idea of the numbers in the age group that plan on getting vaccinated.  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I don't see it from a political lens, since I'm living outside of BC for years now.  But getting registered now and getting notice isn't a bad thing. Better than the website crashing when people flood it like going for a rock concert ticket on ticketmaster. 

My aunt over 65 registered and got a txt notice the next day to book.  She will get her vaccine this Thursday.  System is working but it is still too slow, partially limited by supply, but I still think they can do it quicker by longer hours on both weekdays and weekends.  Need more staff or pay them to work longer hours. 

I'm not 100% buying the argument that vaccinations are slow due to a limited supply.  This might be partially correct, but it's definitely not the whole story.  

I've heard from several reputable sources (my old rec.hockey buddy is a senior manager at a large health authority in the lower mainland) that hundreds upon hundreds of doses are expiring daily because they can't give them out to people before they expire.  My other university friend is a nurse in a large hospital in the Fraser Valley and he basically confirmed the same thing - doses going unused. 

If someone said it wasn't as much a supply issue (although supply is likely 'part' of it) - rather a distribution issue caused by mismanagement I'd believe that one though. 

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

A message from our Frontline Healthcare workers!

spacer.png

Now that is a sobering thought.  To think that my safety and the safety of those I love and care about is now in the hands of a society I've too often witnessed is out for themselves at the expense of anything and anyone is not something I'm confident in. Sorry folks. 

• Vintage 4
6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Wonder how many more of these billion dollar packages we are going to rack up for the middle class to pay for later..... 

Screenshot_20210412-161113_Finance.jpg

From what I can tell, this is a loan, not a bailout....:unsure:

• Hydration 1

Anyone else think Dr. Henry seemed a little annoyed or impatient answering some questions today?

Can't say I blame her either, some reporters asking ridiculous questions and finding loopholes in what she says.

My husband is considered an "essential" worker, but is able to work from home. While he technically can go to his office and work there, common sense dictates that he should stay home instead of being in relatively close quarters with multiple other people and risk being exposed - he gets enough exposure living with me!

I know this past year has been very tough on everyone, but with more people getting vaccinated, hopefully we can start seeing a downward trend in new infections soon...people still need to be vigilant though, just because Dr. Henry didn't specifically say not to do something, use your head!

Edited by Amaneey
  • Hydration 2

I know our rates have been going in the right direction and we cannot keep locked down indefinitely, but more should be done to ensure that there is adequate space, and not crowds of people.

shaking my head tbh at some councils allowed for street closures to give more seating space (drinking and eating at restaurants opened up yesterday but only if outside) 

this is why restaurants & pups have been closed, it’s not that they themselves are inherently infectious places unlike say a supermarket, it’s that they are social places where people gather and mingle and interact with a lot of other people and increase the risk of further spreading  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

With pause of JJ vaccine in US today, doses to Canada will likely be delayed end of this month (that 15 million doses spoiled in the factory didn't help, but I think Canada gets the doses from Europe). 

Keep in mind causality not proven yet. There may be other risk factors in combination with the adenovirus vaccine, since it is such as rare event. Age 18-48 female, 6 cases in nearly 7 million doses. 

Both my uncle and aunt (60+) got AZ. No issues. Two of my other friends got it too, also no issues. 

Benefit vs risk ratio varies with age and other risk factors. 

20210411_224232.jpg

20210411_140130.jpg

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 2